Lightheaded and nauseated

I'm on day 19 and a couple of days ago I started feeling occasional mild nausea and lightheadedness. I'm drinking 70-90 oz of water a day, salting my food, and adding fat to all my meals. It doesn't happen at any predictable time (like when I'm hungry, or only after eating). 

Otherwise I am feeling good, I have more energy during the day, have had no stomach issues or bloating since starting the whole30 (which I used to get on a semi-regular basis).

I'm exclusively nursing my baby, so eating 4-5x a day (3-4 meals a snack). 

Heres what I've had so far today:

Day 19
20oz water
M1: chicken sausage, broccoli with ghee, 1/2 avocado, 12oz water
Coffee & 20oz water 
M2: chicken sausage, 2 eggs, salad, evoo, balsamic, sweet potato, baba ganoush 
20oz water 
Coconut water - 11 oz

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to do differently? 

• Moderators

Lightheadedness, dizziness, and headaches can be a symptom of not eating enough. Nausea can be a sign of hunger -- I was surprised to figure this out, personally, it was not a hunger signal I'd ever had before.

Make sure each meal meets the meal template: 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein (the length, width, and height of your palm) or if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand; 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, or a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, or 1/2 a can of full fat coconut milk, or a handful of nuts/seeds; and then fill your plate with vegetables.  Occasionally have some fruit with a meal if you want it, but you don't ever have to have fruit.

Most people do best if they have a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, like potato, sweet potato, root vegetables like beets, turnips, parsnips, carrot, or winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash. Some people need more than that, especially people who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant or in the week or so leading up to their period.

In general, aim to drink 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight every day (so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz per day), and nursing moms may need even more.

Thanks for your reply. I'm fairly certain the nausea isn't hunger, as it sometimes happens right after eating (though not always). As I mentioned, I'm drinking 70-90oz of water a day, eating 4-5 times a day, including starchy veggies (sweet potato, squash, etc) in more than one meal, and my meals fit the template. 

The nausea has continued for the last few days, and I'm now on day 23. 

I"m feeling the same way. I'm on day 11 and honestly, the thought of eating dinner is

1) depressing because I have a fridge full of fresh, expensive food and nothing sounds good and

2) Making food to try to make myself eat feels like a waste of energy. Facing a big pile of veggies just isn't something I'm up for. I never thought I would say I miss oatmeal, but really, that's the only thing that sounds good. 

Archived