Starting March 20th. Join and let's do this together!

Laurie_

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to join too, if its not too late.   I kind of started on March 20.  Kind of because, i had a really bad sore throat and only ate liquids (protein smoothies and broth based soup). So, while i was technically compliant (no sugar, dairy, grains, etc.),  I was having more fruit than i should have.

Today was my first day having 'food' again, and like several of you, i'm just not very hungry. I was reading a thread that said to eat even if you're not hungry. Because until your body resets, and can really honestly tell you whether you are hungry or not... you can't trust what your body is saying. So, i ate even though i wasn't hungry :)

But a great day overall!  My energy is really good and i love the food!

Laurie_ i had been a vegetarian too, but am back to eating meat, because i really want to find out whether soy is a problem for me.  If after 30 days, i can tolerate soy, I will be really happy :)

Sheila

2 minutes ago, Sheila_S said:

I'd love to join too, if its not too late.   I kind of started on March 20.  Kind of because, i had a really bad sore throat and only ate liquids (protein smoothies and broth based soup). So, while i was technically compliant (no sugar, dairy, grains, etc.),  I was having more fruit than i should have.

Today was my first day having 'food' again, and like several of you, i'm just not very hungry. I was reading a thread that said to eat even if you're not hungry. Because until your body resets, and can really honestly tell you whether you are hungry or not... you can't trust what your body is saying. So, i ate even though i wasn't hungry :)

But a great day overall!  My energy is really good and i love the food!

Laurie_ i had been a vegetarian too, but am back to eating meat, because i really want to find out whether soy is a problem for me.  If after 30 days, i can tolerate soy, I will be really happy :)

Sheila

You are more than  welcome to join Sheila! I too have considered adding meat back, but I am trying to co.plete the Whole30 journey as a vegetarian following the same rules as everyone else and not adding kefir or Greek yogurt for protein. Gotta listen to your body and do what feels right. I just found some antibiotic/hormone free chicken that I bought for my son that is really tempting!! ;)

Day 4 coming to a close for me. Energy levels still even. Was woken at 5 this morn and could not get back into a deep sleep, normally this would set me up for a day of tiredness and crankiness but although it wasn't a stellar day in terms of energy it was definitely a lot better than it would have been pre whole30! 

Tummy is flat and pain free until...I had a banana! I have IBS and choosing to not go FODMAP during whole30 as it's just too hard. Bananas are out on FODMAPS. I usually eat several a week an never thought they were an issue until now. Well nearly as soon as I ate it my tummy bloated and got a tiny bit sore. So no bananas until reintroduction where I will test it out properly. 

I have hunger but no appetite. I am making myself eat. Had zucinni carrot  noodles with seafood and fried egg for tea. It was sweet and I panicked thinking I had accidentally added non-compliant something but no, just veg, fresh seafood, fried egg, olive oil and dried chillies. Am I picking up on the subtle sweetness in carrots and scallops now? Don't know but it was a super tasty dish!

Good night all, hope your Thursday is #whole30compliant lol. 

Maggie 

@maggiemay Sounds like a successful 4th day! I too sometimes taste the foods I'm eating and wonder if there's something I'm missing. The sweet potato the other night almost tasted too sweet for dinner.

Here's to a successful day 4 for all of us! 

If you haven't joined our Facebook group, there's a a few of us there from this thread sharing throughout the day. It's Whole30 forum 3/20  there's also a link in one of these comments that will bring you right there I believe.

Hi Everyone!

I haven't posted since day 1, but wanted to pop in to send a little encouragement to everyone.  I know we can do this!!  Although I still have cravings, it feels so liberating to know that I've not had any sugar (among other things!!) for 3 full days and working on my 4th.  Woo hoo!  

Have a great day!

Cheers,

Sarah

Well, I joined by coincidence. I also started on the 20th, so it's nice to have some support! My girlfriend is not participating (she could never give up cereal), so I am running solo. 

This has been the worst though. I've had a nasty cough for 4 days. I am trying to battle through, but the inability to exercise has made my life incredibly boring. 

Today is supposed to be one of the "irritable days." I thought I was fine. Actually, I'm the least sick today so I was feeling great! Until it came to breakfast. I'm never hungry in the morning, so my breakfast has always been a glass of skim milk. Always. I hate eating in the morning so it's been an efficient way to get protein for workouts and just energy for the day. 

I can't drink skim milk and this is the worst. This will probably be the hardest thing to cut out. Why can't we drink milk? It's from a cow. Beef is from a cow. We can eat beef. 

Other than that, I'm excited to actually be involved in this program with a clear mind post-illness. 

1 hour ago, Chris_ said:

Well, I joined by coincidence. I also started on the 20th, so it's nice to have some support! My girlfriend is not participating (she could never give up cereal), so I am running solo. 

This has been the worst though. I've had a nasty cough for 4 days. I am trying to battle through, but the inability to exercise has made my life incredibly boring. 

Today is supposed to be one of the "irritable days." I thought I was fine. Actually, I'm the least sick today so I was feeling great! Until it came to breakfast. I'm never hungry in the morning, so my breakfast has always been a glass of skim milk. Always. I hate eating in the morning so it's been an efficient way to get protein for workouts and just energy for the day. 

I can't drink skim milk and this is the worst. This will probably be the hardest thing to cut out. Why can't we drink milk? It's from a cow. Beef is from a cow. We can eat beef. 

Other than that, I'm excited to actually be involved in this program with a clear mind post-illness. 

http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

Hey Chris - I'm struggling with giving up my dairy as well :( The link gives the reasons that the Whole30 cuts dairy. I'd really like some cheese and peanut butter to use before workouts or hockey games so I have to keep trying other protein/fat combos until I find something that works.

Day 4 I woke up with a horrible sinus headache but probably not food related since the weather in Michigan is behaving quite erratically this winter/spring. We started the week at 16 degrees and will see 72 on Friday. I'm also experiencing a lot of cramps in my calves and arches of my feet which makes sleeping difficult. I've not changed my exercise routines and I'm well hydrated so I'm a little frustrated. At least I don't feel like "Kill All The Things" yet but I did freak out when my dress pants were tight this morning.

Yesterday (Day 3) was kinda rough. Not because I was overwhelmed by cravings or anything, but because I didn't have any meals planned and had to wing it. I didn't end up eating very  much at all. For dinner, we had a celebratory work dinner for a colleague at a sushi place. I ate a crapload of sashimi and raw oysters. They literally didn't even have a plain salad that I could eat so I had absolutely no vegetables. How bad is that? Also, if you're eating fish, which already has a lot of fat, are you still supposed to add a fat to your meal (that was never really clear to me)? 

Thanks for all the support and comments. This group is wonderful and really helpful for accountability! 

Hi all, I wanted to introduce myself!  My name is Jess and I live in Denver.  I started my first W30 on Monday and am still getting the hang of all the resources out there to help us along the way.  My husband is doing it with me, also his first time.  I have to admit, one of the things we're both very apprehensive about is the no alcohol rule.  Ironically though, it's probably one of the biggest reasons why we need to do it!  It's so easy to get in the habit of having a drink after work, which turns into 2,3 or sometimes more.  It's just not healthy and I think eliminating alcohol altogether for 30 days will be a huge challenge, but also victory.  I do fantasize about a glass of wine on day 31, not gonna lie!

As many others have said, the most challenging thing for me so far is the meal planning & prep.  It's not something I've done before, despite having two young kids at home. Before W30, we would usually just wing it, often times making two different meals (one for us and one for the kids), or going out.  One of my goals (outside of wanting to lose weight and increase energy) is to become an efficient meal planner, grocery shopper, and to help my kids break the "toddler diet" of mac n' cheese, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, and SUGAR.  I'm trying to ease them into it- rather than making them go cold turkey.  Wish me luck ;)

So far we've been loosely using the 7-day plan in the book as a guide for meals this week (still staying compliant).  I've found some good blogs that I'm hoping to get more inspiration from, too:

www.oliveyouwhole.com

www.littlebitsof.com

www.physicalkitchness.com

Pretty sure these sites are from links on the W30 Facebook page, but sharing anyway just in case.  Hope you're all having a good day 4.  Excited to be part of this community of people all over the world(?) doing this together!

Hello fellow Whole30ers!  I started on Tuesday, so just a day behind, but since I believe I am the only odd-ball who started on a Tuedsay, I am going to jump in with you- if that is ok?

So far things are going well.  It took me two whole days in the kitchen to get set for the week.  Toady, I am happy to be free of the kitchen with my brisket cooking away in the slow cooker!  

I am feeling a little draggy today, but for the most part I feel good. I feel like I have really accomplished something- 3 whole days without sugar is huge for me!  

My friends are worried that I will not be able to go 30 days without alcohol, but that may be just the fuel I need to prove them wrong!  

I have several food intolerances and usually have obvious symptoms when I get ahold of something I am highly intolerant to. One of those symptoms is foot and leg cramps -which I had last night. After poking around the forum, I see that this may be a normal reaction to my body changing.  I am relieved to learn this, because I was worried olive oil causing the cramps (I have an intolerance to olives). For now, I am going to keep on with the 7 day meal plan in the book and hope the olive oil is not the culprit. Does anyone else have trouble with olive oil?

Thank you for sharing your stories.  It is a huge inspiration and comfort to know I am not alone in this challenging journey.

11 minutes ago, queenE said:

Hello fellow Whole30ers!  I started on Tuesday, so just a day behind, but since I believe I am the only odd-ball who started on a Tuedsay, I am going to jump in with you- if that is ok?

So far things are going well.  It took me two whole days in the kitchen to get set for the week.  Toady, I am happy to be free of the kitchen with my brisket cooking away in the slow cooker!  

I am feeling a little draggy today, but for the most part I feel good. I feel like I have really accomplished something- 3 whole days without sugar is huge for me!  

My friends are worried that I will not be able to go 30 days without alcohol, but that may be just the fuel I need to prove them wrong!  

I have several food intolerances and usually have obvious symptoms when I get ahold of something I am highly intolerant to. One of those symptoms is foot and leg cramps -which I had last night. After poking around the forum, I see that this may be a normal reaction to my body changing.  I am relieved to learn this, because I was worried olive oil causing the cramps (I have an intolerance to olives). For now, I am going to keep on with the 7 day meal plan in the book and hope the olive oil is not the culprit. Does anyone else have trouble with olive oil?

Thank you for sharing your stories.  It is a huge inspiration and comfort to know I am not alone in this challenging journey.

Feel free to come join us on Facebook too!

1 hour ago, queenE said:

If you end up deciding that olive oils isn't working for you switch to coconut oil! 

2 hours ago, jessdoit said:

Hi all, I wanted to introduce myself!  My name is Jess and I live in Denver.  I started my first W30 on Monday and am still getting the hang of all the resources out there to help us along the way.  My husband is doing it with me, also his first time.  I have to admit, one of the things we're both very apprehensive about is the no alcohol rule.  Ironically though, it's probably one of the biggest reasons why we need to do it!  It's so easy to get in the habit of having a drink after work, which turns into 2,3 or sometimes more.  It's just not healthy and I think eliminating alcohol altogether for 30 days will be a huge challenge, but also victory.  I do fantasize about a glass of wine on day 31, not gonna lie!

regarding the underlined statement.... you need to adjust your thinking right now before it bites you!  the 10 days after your whole 30 are for reintroduction.   so day 1 of reintroduction, technically day 31 you reintroduce and evaluate dairy.  Days 32-33 you go back to whole 30 to let any reactions settle and get yourself set up for the next evaluation.  Day 34 you reintroduce and evaluate gluten-containing grains.  Days 35-36 back to clean whole 30 eating, Day 37 you reintroduce and evaluate non-gluten grains, days 38-39 whole 30, Day 40 Reintroduce and evaluate legumes.....  you really need to think of it as a whole 40!  ;)

If you don't do the slow reintroduction process you miss out on what the whole 30 was worth.  You will feel better in so many ways and then you will eat off plan and feel worse, but you won't know which food it was.  I really was sure my problem would be dairy.  I was put on goat's milk as a baby because I didn't tolerate cows milk.  It made sense in my brain.... but I was wrong! 

It is so huge to know what bothers me.  To know I can occasionally have a bowl of ice cream without big ramification, but that cinnamon roll (gluten containing grains are my problem) is going to really bite.  It is easy to swap out my flour tortilla with a corn one to feel better an I don't feel cheated.  But I don't have to do lettuce wraps for the rest of my life either! 

I am guessing the reference to day 31 was more of a joke, but I caution people to count out 40 days all the time, because if you plan all along for 30 days 31-40 are so very hard.  I have seen too many people fail at that point, and that stinks!

2 hours ago, jessdoit said:

As many others have said, the most challenging thing for me so far is the meal planning & prep.  It's not something I've done before, despite having two young kids at home. Before W30, we would usually just wing it, often times making two different meals (one for us and one for the kids), or going out.  One of my goals (outside of wanting to lose weight and increase energy) is to become an efficient meal planner, grocery shopper, and to help my kids break the "toddler diet" of mac n' cheese, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, and SUGAR.  I'm trying to ease them into it- rather than making them go cold turkey.  Wish me luck ;)

Oh my goodness, your goals sound exactly like mine! I mostly want to have more energy. That's what brought me here! But I also want to lose weight and learn how to shop and plan for more better. We currently go to the grocery store almost every single day because we eat what we are in the mood for, which we most often don't have everything for, so we just run to the store and make what we feel like. It's horrible and expensive and leads to more waste than I would like to admit!

So here's to become better planners and shoppers! LOL, good luck!

Happy Day 4, everybody! I'm surprised how poorly I've been sleeping the past two nights--body temperature is all off, I'm restless, and really sensitive to external noises while I'm sleeping (subtle noises, like the cat licking it's paws). I'm sure there's a lot of bodily adjustments going on, probably more than I want to admit because I "didn't eat that badly" pre-W30. 

We have a long, narrow pantry and the kids' foods (packaged foods, sweets, etc) are kept in the back, and it's interesting to see how quickly my brain jumps to wanting these things when I walk in to grab something. Even today, right after having a big satisfying salad, I went in to grab something, and was immediately captivated by rice cakes! Granola bars! I didn't have any, and it was easy to call out the craving for what it was, but very interesting nonetheless to see how ingrained these habits and behaviors are.

thanks @Laurie_ I weaned myself of FB about 15 months ago and can't go back. Just like bread and wine I cannot control my consumptions of Social Media either lol. Currently working on my addiction to Instagram too!

Well day 5 was great for me! On reflection I must have had a bit of carb flu up to now because today I felt so clear headed and able to tackle heaps of stuff today (just not any actual study that I should be doing of course). I still don't have an appetite and did not fare well today on my targets.

Brekkie:  Mushroom and spinach friend in Ghee

Lunch: Sweet potato roasted in Olive Oil with Whole 30 homemade Mayo

Dinner: Sheppard's Pie with sweet potato.

I know this isn't enough fat or protein but I simply can't eat anymore. Still can't stop thinking about snacks and ways to treat  myself because its the weekend/I'm studying/I've been good all day etc

Also finding it very refreshing though to not be weighing or counting calories. Today I spent 3 hours doing housework and normally I would punch that into a fitness App and rejoice in the extra calories I burnt up whilst tracking everything I ate. That's not what I want to do anymore and I hope I don't ever again.

Anyway hope you guys have a good day 5 or whatever.

Bye xxx

Maggie

Yesterday was rough for me. I was still recovering from a seriously nasty cold that had been roaming through the office (made it through without any medicine though!). But, I had a seriously nasty headache. I don't know if that was food or cold related. I couldn't think. I couldn't eat. I was able to scarf down a bit of chicken and guacamole for dinner, but felt quite ill afterward. I decided just to go to bed at 8pm because I couldn't take it. 

I woke up this morning, and I feel great! I'm actually excited to put another day into this!

Happy Friday, everyone! It's sure to be filled with temptations!

17 hours ago, jessdoit said:

You aren't alone! This is one of the biggest reasons I'm doing this program as well. I'm am big in to the craft beer scene (in fact, I spent some time in Denver last year for that exact reason), so I have a beer a night, more on weekends. It was just becoming to much. I wasn't even enjoying it anymore, so much that it was just routine. Seriously unhealthy habit. So, I made the decision to cut it out for 30 days, and then I happened upon this diet plan and just bundled it in! But, I'm 6 days removed from the last beer and one sounds delicious right now. But, we can make it through!

Regarding the "re-intro" above, I won't be able to do in that regard. I have a craft beer festival I bought VIP tickets for on April 23rd. I will be participating in that, so it'll be an interesting experience to see how my body reacts. It also gives me a hard stop on my Whole30 (which is nice, because it means I can't cheat because I can't start over!). 

Anyways, good luck! Feel free to share your struggles, I expect I'll be going through them too. 

14 hours ago, rachelmaria33 said:

regarding the underlined statement.... you need to adjust your thinking right now before it bites you!  the 10 days after your whole 30 are for reintroduction.   so day 1 of reintroduction, technically day 31 you reintroduce and evaluate dairy.  Days 32-33 you go back to whole 30 to let any reactions settle and get yourself set up for the next evaluation.  Day 34 you reintroduce and evaluate gluten-containing grains.  Days 35-36 back to clean whole 30 eating, Day 37 you reintroduce and evaluate non-gluten grains, days 38-39 whole 30, Day 40 Reintroduce and evaluate legumes.....  you really need to think of it as a whole 40!  ;)

If you don't do the slow reintroduction process you miss out on what the whole 30 was worth.  You will feel better in so many ways and then you will eat off plan and feel worse, but you won't know which food it was.  I really was sure my problem would be dairy.  I was put on goat's milk as a baby because I didn't tolerate cows milk.  It made sense in my brain.... but I was wrong! 

It is so huge to know what bothers me.  To know I can occasionally have a bowl of ice cream without big ramification, but that cinnamon roll (gluten containing grains are my problem) is going to really bite.  It is easy to swap out my flour tortilla with a corn one to feel better an I don't feel cheated.  But I don't have to do lettuce wraps for the rest of my life either! 

I am guessing the reference to day 31 was more of a joke, but I caution people to count out 40 days all the time, because if you plan all along for 30 days 31-40 are so very hard.  I have seen too many people fail at that point, and that stinks!

This ^^^^ is wonderful advice!!!

@jessdoit & @kirbz and anyone else who is interested. I've been using the real plans app for meal planning/shopping/prep and it has made life so much easier. I can plan out a weeks worth of breaks, lunches, & dinners for 2 adults and 2 kiddos in about 30 minutes, including my shopping list. AND it has a Whole 30 mode you can add on or you can just tweak your food preferences to make the suggestions compliant. It is super easy to use and you can even import your own recipes. You might want to check it out. www.realplans.com

6 hours ago, maggiemay said:

thanks @Laurie_ I weaned myself of FB about 15 months ago and can't go back. Just like bread and wine I cannot control my consumptions of Social Media either lol. Currently working on my addiction to Instagram too!

Well day 5 was great for me! On reflection I must have had a bit of carb flu up to now because today I felt so clear headed and able to tackle heaps of stuff today (just not any actual study that I should be doing of course). I still don't have an appetite and did not fare well today on my targets.

Brekkie:  Mushroom and spinach friend in Ghee

Lunch: Sweet potato roasted in Olive Oil with Whole 30 homemade Mayo

Dinner: Sheppard's Pie with sweet potato.

I know this isn't enough fat or protein but I simply can't eat anymore. Still can't stop thinking about snacks and ways to treat  myself because its the weekend/I'm studying/I've been good all day etc

Also finding it very refreshing though to not be weighing or counting calories. Today I spent 3 hours doing housework and normally I would punch that into a fitness App and rejoice in the extra calories I burnt up whilst tracking everything I ate. That's not what I want to do anymore and I hope I don't ever again.

Anyway hope you guys have a good day 5 or whatever.

Bye xxx

Maggie

I hear you, just wanted to give another resource. The beginning of day 5 has been great so far. I haven't had a hangover like the time line had suggested. Hope it doesn't come later, because that would suck! 

Have a great day, whichever one you're on! X

Archived