Day 5, drowsy after starch

Hey, Wholefriends! I hope y'all are doing ok and getting ready for a wonderful weekend.

I'm on my fifth day and had the first starchy veggie (potato salad with fish and leafy greens for lunch) since I began the program on Monday.

I feel awful. Two hours later the brain fog started settling in and after that a general drowsiness and lack of energy descended upon me. I did not need my usual nap the other days of the week, but today I really needed one (I didn't take one because I had stuff to do, which I did, but very half-heartedly).

One of the mental comforts I had going in was the possibility of eating starches from time to time, but now I feel really discouraged. I know the sadness is probably a sugar crash talking but still, I needed your support. 

Two hours after a meal seems like a long time for carb sleepiness to kick in.  Many people feel it before they finish the meal.   You mention that you haven't been taking your usual naps, perhaps your body as a whole is still readjusting?

White potatoes have a higher glycemic index than sweet potatoes, and baking results in  higher glycemic load than boiling.

Perhaps a lower-glycemic choice will help you narrow it down? 

Hey, Carol, thanks for answering. 

It's actually kinda normal for me to feel the effects of food a little later than other folks. Even medicines take a bit more to kick in. It might be a metabolism peculiarity (planning to have some bloodwork done soon).

I did not feel the need to nap the other days of the week because I wasn't tired. 

I'll try again with sweet potatoes in a few days. Or maybe I'll have a bit of white potatoes for dinner and ride the drowsiness into nighttime sleep, lol.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:16 AM, Nana Valente said:

I felt way better yesterday, with no starches, but a little bit of sugar in the form of fruit. It's fascinating to learn about my idiosyncrasies within the program and to feel stronger each day.

It is interesting, isn't it?   Oatmeal does it for me.  Even before W30, I never ate it, it just made me too drowsy.  

I just wish there was a breakfast that was just as convenient for when I take the scouts out to camp :)

6 hours ago, Carol said:

It is interesting, isn't it?   Oatmeal does it for me.  Even before W30, I never ate it, it just made me too drowsy.  

I just wish there was a breakfast that was just as convenient for when I take the scouts out to camp :)

Interesting, Carol, I have never observed that in me with oatmeal, but I almost never eat it because I don't like it much. 

I guess that's the case with beer, though, as it gets me drowsy and awfully bloated.

I would try and take some boiled eggs and dried fruit with me, maybe that would help?

8 hours ago, Nana Valente said:

8 hours ago, Nana Valente said:

I would try and take some boiled eggs and dried fruit with me, maybe that would help?

I would have thought that eggs of any kind would be standard fare at Scout Camp!

Other portable options would be tinned fish, pickles, pouches of olives, hardy veg...

Archived