Day 4 and I cannot focus

Hi! First time Whole30er here on Day 4. So many words and thoughts, but one pressing question: is it normal to feel like you flat cannot focus at first? I have ADHD and recently started taking medication (after years of holding out). I've been so pleased with how much more I'm able to focus and get things done since I started the medication, and this week I have felt like I couldn't finish anything to save my life. I just need to hear that this is maybe normal for some people with ADHD, and that I'll eventually get back to getting things done again...

Are you matching your meals to the template? Getting enough sleep? There are many factors that could cause lack of focus or concentration. If you'd like to list what you've been eating the past couple of days including portion sizes the mods can take a look to see if there's anything that stands out. To me, right off the bat, it sounds like you may not be eating enough or at least missing out on something, but it's impossible to know unless you list what you've been eating. 

I am matching my meals to the template. Sleep has been an issue, both getting enough and getting good sleep. I never have issues with waking up during the night, but I have the last few nights. Last night I went to bed early(ish) and had dreams so vivid they woke me up. They were not about food, though. This is yesterday's menu. Quantities and types of food are representative of what I've been having all week.

Breakfast: 2 eggs (scrambled), homemade turkey sausage (approx 1/2 cup), red bell peppers and shredded sweet potatoes. Decaf with nutpods. Cold brew coffee after.

Lunch: shredded chicken (palm sized portion), spinach, roasted beets and green beans (in coconut oil), Tessemae's balsamic dressing

Snack: leftover scrambled egg hash from this morning (probably 1 cup)

Dinner: 1 chicken thigh and ~2 oz. strip of flatiron steak (cooked in EVOO), 1 cup roasted white, red and purple potatoes (EVOO), roasted asparagus (EVOO)

On 4/6/2017 at 2:28 PM, andrea8979 said:

Hi! First time Whole30er here on Day 4. So many words and thoughts, but one pressing question: is it normal to feel like you flat cannot focus at first? I have ADHD and recently started taking medication (after years of holding out). I've been so pleased with how much more I'm able to focus and get things done since I started the medication, and this week I have felt like I couldn't finish anything to save my life. I just need to hear that this is maybe normal for some people with ADHD, and that I'll eventually get back to getting things done again...

I have moderate ADHD and I can tell you that Days 1-4 had me a bit confused too.  The whole30 is an excellent program in my opinion, especially for those with ADHD primarily because of the focus required by the program.

You're forced to think more linearly by managing a three meal schedule.  For the first week, it will definitely play tricks on your mind, body and soul, but a week later, you'll start to see the moodswings gradually mellow out.

Stay with it and you will not regret it.

Meal comp looks pretty good to me, but maybe a tad light on the fat. Because you're feeling flat and having lack of focus and with your ADHD history, I would maybe try upping the fats. There are some pretty interesting articles out there about fat and brain function just google 'fat and brain health' and 'fat and ADHD'. 

Try mixing up your fat sources. And work to add a fat source to every meal over and above what you cook with. The fat you cook with really doesn't amount to much at the end unless you're able to pour what was in the pan over your food. 

I take a good quality Omega 3 supplement because our Omega 3/6 ratio can be out of balance with today's diet and Omega 3 really is an essential fatty acid for brain function. If you like fish, try adding in wild salmon, tinned sardines or anchovies or herring are also good sources. 

Not getting enough or good quality of sleep is an issue you might want to work on too. Good sleep hygiene - electronics off an hour before bed, a winding down routine, etc could be of benefit. Adding in a magnesium supplement is another common suggestion to help with sleep, Natural Calm (unflavored) is one used by folks around these boards. 

Another thought is that yes, things are just are a bit wacky right now, and you may just even out as time goes on as caTones above pointed out. 

I'm sure the mods will weigh in here too if there's anything else they can think of. 

@J9er has said pretty much everything I'd have said. I'd just wonder (and this is me being pedantic, & possibly unrelated to your original question...) why the snack? Are you hungry between meals? Are you active/working out? If it's the former the additioanl fat will help out with that for sure. If it's the latter then you may need to look at encorporating pre and/or post WO meals depending on the intensity of your WOs.

But yes, fat is most definitely your friend here ;)

Archived