Holiday Dinner in Someone's Home

MollySmith

Any pointers for staying on track when you're invited into someone's home, specifically for a holiday dinner? A member of my family is having everyone over for Easter dinner and is making lasagna. It feels rude to me for my husband and I to bring our own food or to request special accommodations. Has anyone ever done either and found it wasn't a big deal?

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, MollySmith said:

Any pointers for staying on track when you're invited into someone's home, specifically for a holiday dinner? A member of my family is having everyone over for Easter dinner and is making lasagna. It feels rude to me for my husband and I to bring our own food or to request special accommodations. Has anyone ever done either and found it wasn't a big deal?

Yep!  A conversation with the host/hostess ahead of time explaining what you're doing and that you want to come and enjoy the fellowship and commraderie of family but that you'd rather bring your own meal so that you aren't derailing this elimination protocol you're on should be sufficient.  One year on Easter actually, we had six people at my mom's house for a meal and @ladyshanny brought her own meal and I brought my own meal and the rest of the family had what my mom cooked.  No one cares what's on your plate as long as you're there with them :)

Archived