May 22nd Start Date- Who's In??

Caroline22

2 minutes ago, izzy said:

I survive the holiday, another win :)

I noticed that my energy levels are over the roof, I no longer need or crave a cup or two of coffee at 3pm.

Today was very busy, we didn't have many plans, in fact we stayed home, but I was busy cleaning, doing laundry, cooking with the husband and cleaning the bathrooms.  We went to the gym and the boys to the pool for an hour in the morning.  Then we came home, prepared a whole 30 approved rub for the ribs and we decided to cook them slow in the oven instead of the insta pot and grill.  Those ribs took 5hrs :wacko: I ended up having a fruit salad for lunch because I was starving.  I was going to bake a sweet potato but since the ribs took longer than expected I wasn't prepared.  We ended up having the ribs for dinner, which turn out delicious but super spicy, next time I will only use half of the chili and cayenne pepper.

I hope everyone had a great Monday.

Im starting to feel the "tiger blood" as well! I keep checking to make sure I haven't accidentally overdosed on caffeine LOL 

I worked a 12 hr night and came back 8 hrs later for another 8 hr shift and im not even a little tired.

Wooohooo!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
On 5/28/2017 at 4:17 PM, Amyrotella said:

I'm feeling frustrated, and so ready to throw in the towel. It's not even from cravings.... I don't have a bad relationship with food, never did. But I feel like this is MAKING me feel that way. Like I am so obsessed with every morsel that is going into my body, that it's all I am thinking about. Planning. Eating. Planning for the next meal. Eating. My bf is asking me where we can go to dinner where it'll be easy for me to eat but, that's not fair to the family, though I appreciate their support. Grrrrr 

It is possible to dine out in a restaurant on Whole30. There are some tips in this download that can help: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-dining.pdf  I'd start by looking online at places you might normally eat and see if you can find any information about their ingredients and if anything looks like a possibility. Steak places often have options without having to make too many special requests -- usually just ask for a steak grilled dry or in olive oil, and ask what seasonings they use or ask them to just use salt and pepper, and specify not to add butter. Take your own salad dressing and some ghee or oil, and you can order a salad, no cheese or croutons or bacon, and a baked potato or, if they offer them, a baked sweet potato, dry.  If a place serves breakfast all day, you can get eggs (if you order scrambled, specify you want real eggs, no added filler or dairy) -- you do have to specify not cooked in butter. You might be able to have hashbrowns or home fries, depending on how they season and cook them, you'd have to ask, or if they don't have any vegetable options that would work, you could go with fresh fruit, and then just have some extra veggies when you get home. If all else fails, eat before you go to the restaurant, order something like coffee or tea and a salad or some fruit, just so you have something in front of you, and focus on spending time with your family members. If dining out is something that you all do, you shouldn't have to give it up.

If you just feel like you're spending all your time planning, have you looked at doing a weekly cookup? It's more like prepping a week's worth of food at once, and then just grabbing stuff out of the fridge, mixing and matching meats or eggs, veggies, and sauces. You might also check out these No Recipe Required ideas. At the very least, try to have a day or two where you do something super easy -- breakfast for dinner, or a can of tuna dumped over one of those bagged salad mixes from the grocery store, topped with a big dollop of mayo. And always try to cook enough for leftovers to save yourself a little time at some point in the future.

If you feel like this is really making you obsessed about food, if you feel like you don't want to eat at a restaurant because you don't have absolute control over every ingredient, if you aren't willing to let other people help cook because they might not do it exactly the way you would -- these could be signs that something worrying is going on, and while we definitely want everyone to be successful with their Whole30, we don't want anyone to push themselves to finish it if it's actually making them less healthy. More than likely, this type of obsessive behavior isn't really what you're experiencing, but it can happen, so if you are at all concerned, especially if you have anything in your personal history that makes this more likely for you, please speak to a professional about it.

Good work for everyone who made it through the holiday weekend.

I have an interesting scenario that you might be able to help with. My adult children wanted to go out for Sushi. No problem -sashimi it is. But my husband, who is on this journey with me, kept asking me if he could eat this or eat that. I got very tired of saying no that has soy, no that has sugar. He needs to be responsible for his own Whole30 but I also want to provide support and help him make the right decisions. He doesn't have this problem at home but I have us limited to one cabinet where he can use anything in there. Ideas?

I haven't had a single bad or good effect over the last week+. I'm starting to wonder if Whole30 is really doing anything for me.  I am afraid that this thought is eating at my resolve.

41 minutes ago, AmyPyr said:

Good work for everyone who made it through the holiday weekend.

I have an interesting scenario that you might be able to help with. My adult children wanted to go out for Sushi. No problem -sashimi it is. But my husband, who is on this journey with me, kept asking me if he could eat this or eat that. I got very tired of saying no that has soy, no that has sugar. He needs to be responsible for his own Whole30 but I also want to provide support and help him make the right decisions. He doesn't have this problem at home but I have us limited to one cabinet where he can use anything in there. Ideas?

I haven't had a single bad or good effect over the last week+. I'm starting to wonder if Whole30 is really doing anything for me.  I am afraid that this thought is eating at my resolve.

Yeah, I've caught myself thinking the same thing to be honest, but I remind myself that I'm doing Whole30 to see how I feel once I add some foods back in at the end. Maybe that's a better way to think about it?

As far as your husband goes, I'd carry around the printout of Program Rules/Pantry Stocking/Common Additives/etc. and just encourage him to check through those and then Google what he still has questions about. It's great that he's doing it too, but he needs to be responsible for his own body!

I also can't imagine there'd be much of a lasting benefit to him if he isn't actively thinking through the reasoning behind the "can haves" and "cannot haves." You might discuss that with him.

Hope that helps!

Question: what do you guys normally eat for breakfast? I've been having a banana and black coffee basically every morning except on the weekend when I've had eggs and bacon... I've never usually eaten breakfast that wasn't oatmeal/banana/coffee. I'm also trying to eat as few eggs as possible because I think I've become sensitive to them. Thoughts?

Also, you can see my food log here.

32 minutes ago, llaly said:

Question: what do you guys normally eat for breakfast? I've been having a banana and black coffee basically every morning except on the weekend when I've had eggs and bacon... I've never usually eaten breakfast that wasn't oatmeal/banana/coffee. I'm also trying to eat as few eggs as possible because I think I've become sensitive to them. Thoughts?

I did some more searching and found this great thread on "non-traditional breakfasts" started by ShannonM816, in case anyone is having the same problem I did! Thanks Shannon! ;)

43 minutes ago, llaly said:

Yeah, I've caught myself thinking the same thing to be honest, but I remind myself that I'm doing Whole30 to see how I feel once I add some foods back in at the end. Maybe that's a better way to think about it?

As far as your husband goes, I'd carry around the printout of Program Rules/Pantry Stocking/Common Additives/etc. and just encourage him to check through those and then Google what he still has questions about. It's great that he's doing it too, but he needs to be responsible for his own body!

I also can't imagine there'd be much of a lasting benefit to him if he isn't actively thinking through the reasoning behind the "can haves" and "cannot haves." You might discuss that with him.

Hope that helps!

You definitely need some form of protein at breakfast. Maybe a breakfast sausage? If you are sensitive to eggs, try some sort of hash or leftovers from the night before

New workweek, same W30!

M1: Chicken breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, spinach

M2: Bacon wrapped chicken with pineapple (W30 book) over cauli rice

M3: Kale and butternut squash salad  (W30 book) with fried egg on top

Workout: Rest day. I've got a wicked cold, so lots of self care (tea, broth, fluids, rest)

Steamed broccoli is sweet???

Where has sparkling water been all my life? 

How are organic strawberrys not candy or illegal because they taste so good? 

Avocado is the new "cheese"!

My tongue scraper thanked me for not eating dairy. 

In my dreams, I was caught eating "puppy chow" in my car with chocolate smeared all over my face and hands. How embarrassing! 

Some of the many revelations that 8 days of Whole30 has shown me. 

IMG_0252.JPG

5 hours ago, llaly said:

You can have leftovers from the night before, some sort of protein and veggies.  Just treat breakfast as any meal of the day.

4 hours ago, Who-what-squirrel! said:

My tongue scraper thanked me for not eating dairy. 

In my dreams, I was caught eating "puppy chow" in my car with chocolate smeared all over my face and hands. How embarrassing! 

A few days ago I had a dream that I was eating chicken nuggets and fries from McDonalds :huh: I hate McDonalds, I think last time I had some was about 13 years ago when I was pregnant.

Day 9 is over and not cravings or headaches, in fact I have lots of energy :)  I do feel and look bloated :( 

M1 - potato hash, onions, peppers, and kale with a fried egg, 1/2 a banana and 3 strawberries with black tea. 

M2 and M3- leftovers from yesterday

Workout - Treadmill (c25K W3D1)

Water- 110oz

Hello all! I'm just continuing to take it one day at a time. Can't believe that soon we'll be halfway there. I've thought about some foods and drinks I miss (my favorite tex-mex place, wine), but so far the cravings haven't been super hard to deal with. This time around I'm making a big effort to stick to the meal template and it's really paying off. Never being hungry outside of meal times makes a big difference! With that said, I'm only human, and dinner last night was strawberries with almond butter and a couple pickle spears. I had a very filling lunch pretty late in the day, so I just wan't very hungry. I had leftovers, though, so I really should have made myself eat more.  

I saw some people ask about breakfast...I eat leftovers, sometimes with a fried egg on top if I need to amp up the protein. You get used to it. I ate pot roast with veggies this morning and actually enjoyed it. I am one of those people who gets sick of eggs really fast, so I've learned that this really is the best option for me. 

While I am hardly an expert since this is only my second Whole30, I did want to say something to the people who aren't feeling any effects yet and are therefore feeling discouraged-- we're not even halfway through! In the forum thread for my first Whole30, I don't remember anyone feeling tiger blood or anything really significant until week 3. It takes time, and the changes in our bodies are still happening. 

Also, here is a great article that really helped me out last time that some of you may appreciate: https://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/ I read it again this morning. 

Hi everyone! Sorry I was incommunicado the last few days. I was in a frenzy of food prep and when I wasn't doing that I was reading instead of being productive. (oh, and watching college lacrosse!) It felt like I was cooking all weekend, but really it was mainly Monday. I did also have to go to the grocery store twice. 

My sleep schedule is all screwed up--totally normal for me--so I'm not sure I can really gauge where my energy levels are right now. I was super tired on Saturday. 

Since my family was out of town for Memorial Day we did our grilling last last. So happy to have a completely compliant meal and barely have to change anything for a holiday. Potato salad and hamburgers!

Sunday I made a Tikka Masala for dinner and I've been eating that for breakfast this week over cauliflower rice. The hardest part is waking up early enough to eat. Today I didn't and had to take it with me and warm it up at work. Between not being a morning person and some late nights. (most are my fault up reading or watching tv, by Monday night my dog just wouldn't settle down. :-/  I had to take him out a 4 am)

Steak Salad today and yesterday for lunch. 

I have been having cravings, but so far have resisted breaking the plan. I discovered I like flavored seltzer water. I used to hate any kind of seltzer. I'm looking forward to trying the watermelon lime. And they are less expensive than soda or a plain bottle of water. 

I'm relived that we are at Day 10--1/3 of the way through. 

Wednesdays are my long days at work, so I need extra food. Also, I'm trying to feed my cold, so I can get back in the gym.

M1: Random mix of chicken sausage, veggies, and pumpkin seeds

M2: 2 Epic bars, carrots, a peach

M3: Pork, apple and cabbage slaw (W30 book)

M4: Snapper with ginger and bok choy (W30 book)

Workout: None. This cold is making me stir-crazy, but I am better today, so I should be able to handle a light workout tomorrow.

I'm super inspired by everyone's updates. Good job, peeps!

Day 10, today I was really tired and hungry all day.  I didn't sleep well last night and maybe that is why I was so tired today.

M1- potato hash, peppers, onions, and kale with a fried egg.  I also had some berries and black tea.

M2- grilled chicken breast with sweet potato fries and guacamole.  I also had half a portion of toasted cashews

Snack- the rest of the cashews, 1 apple and 1tbs of shredded coconut.

M3- grilled chicken breast with roasted cauliflower and 1 fried egg. 1tbs or shredded coconut and half 1/3 portion of blueberries.

Exercise- Elliptical HIIT and arms

Water: 110oz

TOM should be here in a few days, I am not sure if this is the reason why I am so bloated, tired, and eating so many fruits.  I will try to make a better meal choices so I can stay fuller and not eat as many fruits.

Day 11, woo hoo! At work today I was told I'd have an all-day training with meals next week. Usually that's fun for me, but during a Whole30? Yikes. There was an option to arrive at the hotel where the training will be held the night before for a welcome dinner, and then stay overnight at the hotel (comped), but I declined that option (the hotel is close to where I work/live). It would just be too difficult to try to do three meals in a row at a hotel. These training meals always have us all eating the same food, or choosing from a menu of three options or something. So I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to do. I can eat a big breakfast beforehand, but for lunch I'll either have to bring food with me that won't require refrigeration, or contact the hotel in advance to see what my options are. This is going to be my first real challenge. Meh.

There were cookies in the break room, crappy grocery store ones. The sight had no effect on me, but the smell reached my nose and my sugar dragon let out a roar for the first time in a while. I'm so ready for week three and tiger blood. 

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Day 11! A third of the way done!

M1: Chicken sausage, eggs, spinach

M2: Turkey meatballs and marinara on zucchini noodles (W30 book)

M3: Sweet potato and carrot soup (W30 book). I'll have to grab something for more protein. Maybe a delicious meat stick.

Workout: HIIT training

Great to see everyone hanging in there. Apparently Day 10 is where people start throwing in the towel.

Day 12!

M1: Scrambled eggs and sautéed kale

M2: Pork and watercress salad (W30 book)

M3: Jerk Salmon and mango  salsa (W30 book)

Workout: HIIT training

So ready for the weekend, if only to avoid random office snack temptation!

Yum!

I'm traveling and working a conference this week. Lots of prep and shopping for good food while I'm here. I'm that person at restaurants, but I tell them upfront I'm going to ask a lot of questions. Traveling yesterday wasn't bad except I felt a little funny eating a sweet potato out of a ziplock baggie, but we do what we have to do! Thank you for all the traveling tips  

M1: scrambled eggs with avacado and salsa. 

M2: banana and Trader Joe's salad (threw out the crunchy noodles and soy dressing. 

M3: RX Bar and apple (lots of running around the convention center)

M4: Restaurant or sautéed kale, salmon and sweet potato at the hotel

This is so I stay accountable post!

Heading out to a park to play some volleyball..and then everyone (not me!) will get icecream. I don't even want icecream..but I do hate sticking out like a sore thumb! Feels like the spotlight is on me as once again I have to explain what I'm doing...

Anyone else feel like this? I think even in the past I would often just indulge in what everyone else was having even if I didn't even want it. Hmmm...

Oh also

Brunch:  scrambled eggs, advocado, fried potatoes and a litle taste of fruit salad

Dinner: cauliflower "rice", compliant carnita/pork with grilled pepper and onions. Apple

Exercise: walk/jog with the dogs and now volleyball

All W30 Book meals today:

M1: Green egg omelete

M2: Herb chicken with celeriac and carrot slaw

M3: Scallops and Swiss and Chard

Workout: A lil cardio followed by a stretch class.

A fine day's work, all!

Terrible night's sleep. I had a big black coffee at the movies around 3 pm, as there were no other compliant options, and woke up every hour on the hour. Lesson learned, no more caffeine past noon.

More Whole30 book meals today:

M1: Autumn hash

M2: Cherry Chipotle BBQ chicken

M3: Tuna steak with carrot fennel slaw

Workout: spin class

Almost halfway there!

On 6/1/2017 at 3:27 PM, diamonds422 said:

Day 11, woo hoo! At work today I was told I'd have an all-day training with meals next week. Usually that's fun for me, but during a Whole30? Yikes. There was an option to arrive at the hotel where the training will be held the night before for a welcome dinner, and then stay overnight at the hotel (comped), but I declined that option (the hotel is close to where I work/live). It would just be too difficult to try to do three meals in a row at a hotel. These training meals always have us all eating the same food, or choosing from a menu of three options or something. So I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to do. I can eat a big breakfast beforehand, but for lunch I'll either have to bring food with me that won't require refrigeration, or contact the hotel in advance to see what my options are. This is going to be my first real challenge. Meh.

Good luck this week with the training and staying W30!

On 6/2/2017 at 9:55 PM, Caroline22 said:

This is so I stay accountable post!

Heading out to a park to play some volleyball..and then everyone (not me!) will get icecream. I don't even want icecream..but I do hate sticking out like a sore thumb! Feels like the spotlight is on me as once again I have to explain what I'm doing...

Anyone else feel like this? I think even in the past I would often just indulge in what everyone else was having even if I didn't even want it. Hmmm...

I hope you were able to make the right choice.  I went to two b-day parties yesterday and I had to explain everyone why I was only drinking water.

Week 3 here we come!  This weekend was good, I was worried about yesterday and the b-day parties I had to attend, but I survived.  One of the parties they were cooking pasta and lots of garlic bread, it smell delicious.  I was hopping they were going to have any fruit or raw veggies, but not, just sweets, carbs, chips, and lots of alcohol, so I just drank water for all 5hrs we were there.

Archived