Let's talk (non-traditional) breakfasts

• Moderators

One of the most common questions here on the forum is, what can I eat for breakfast? Maybe it's someone used to eating pancakes or pop tarts or just coffee or nothing at all, or maybe it's someone who's been eating eggs and is tired of them or wants to try the AIP protocol that doesn't allow eggs, but most people at some point during a Whole30 wonder about this. I thought maybe we could have a thread about unusual but tasty breakfast options that we could direct people to when they ask.

So, if you eat the kind of breakfast that makes your non-W30 friends think you're weird, things that aren't your standard eggs and bacon or sausage combos, tell us about them here. If you want to show pictures, go for it.

(Posts showing or describing obviously non-Whole30 foods like paleo pancakes, fauxtmeal, or coconut yogurt-fruit-nut creations will be deleted without warning. Please stick to meals that meet the meal template.)

I'll get us started here -- this morning, I had leftover braised round steak, belly dance beet salad, and crisp sweet collards with pecans and raisins.

20150626095656.jpg

So what did you have for your Meal1 this morning?

Edited by ShannonM816
fixing broken photobucket link
  • Like 11

• Administrators

Oh, fun!  

As it is currently Eight Billion Degrees here today, I thought I'd start off this morning with a salad.  And yes, I ate it out of a huge tupperware because as we always say, your salad needs to be huge and all my large bowls were busy.  Contained potatoes, olives, pickles, peppers, tomatoes, greens, cucumbers, a hunk of meatloaf and this dressing.

photo 2_zpsmuzyhwby.JPG

• Like 12

• Moderators

This morning I made compliant breakfast sausage and tossed in frozen broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and spinach. I topped that with Lizard Sauce. When I don't have Lizard Sauce I stir in homemade mayo instead. Since it takes 5 minutes to make, I always have some! Add coffee & coconut milk, yum!

Yesterday I had ground beef, onions, green salsa and avocado with some chopped cilantro from my garden. Heaven! I do usually top my meat and veggies with an egg or two, but it's just as delicious when I am out of eggs.

• Like 9

This morning: cold roasted chicken thigh, red and yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots. mayo with hot sauce, black coffee. Followed this with a hard boiled egg (they were cooking when I took this picture--normally I have some on hand).

a364cf02-b75e-4492-9fc3-083255bb7e98.jpg

• Like 8

• Moderators

This morning was hamburger patties, the last of some tricolore salad I made for the week (thank goodness -- it's good, but getting soggy and I'm tired of it. Next time, I'll only make a half batch), tostones, jicama, tahini dressing, and berry-lemon-ginger kombucha.

20150627102759.jpg

Edited by ShannonM816
fixing broken photobucket link
  • Like 5

This morning I've got leftover chicken meatballs, green beans, spinach and pesto (meatballs and pesto recipes from the new w30 book).

I did have a couple of fried eggs with mine, because I really like eggs, but it would have been just as delicious without.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Super easy one yesterday.  Ground beef/turkey combo, diced red pepper, snow peas and a big handful of baby kale.  Served with some pickled jalapeños and a blop of mayo.

photo 3_zpslgmgh9ro.JPG

• Like 8

• Moderators

I'm not sure if this is breakfast, or more of a brunch, since I slept later than usual, but this is what I had for my first meal today:

20150703_141852.jpg

Elvis burger (hamburger patty topped with almond butter, banana, and bacon), collard greens, and sweet potatoes (yes, they were slightly burnt. One of these days I'll learn to set a timer). 

• Like 8

Great thread!  Wish I took pics of my breakfast.  I had a chicken sausage, roasted brussels sprouts, rosemary mashed sweet potatoes (today was a long run day), a quarter avocado, 2 large glasses of water and a cup of green tea.  And I'm about to go graze on the blueberries in the garden before the birds steal them all.

My best breakfast recently was when I rode my bike to work and my wonderful boyfriend brought me my breakfast to eat at my desk. It was a huge salad with many different leaves including spinach & watercress, avocado, apricot & bacon ( bacon here is very meaty and is protein not just fat) 

• Like 3

I'm not sure if this is breakfast, or more of a brunch, since I slept later than usual, but this is what I had for my first meal today:

20150703_141852.jpg

Elvis burger (hamburger patty topped with almond butter, banana, and bacon), collard greens, and sweet potatoes (yes, they were slightly burnt. One of these days I'll learn to set a timer).

How I love those Elvis burgers. On this week's menu I think.

• Like 4

Some of you make some seriously good looking meals!  I wished I enjoyed cooking more...I think I would enjoy ALL of your meals, but I just don't want to take the time to fix them.

For me, M1 today (yes, at 3:30pm, but I worked patrol last night, got in at 6am, slept until 1) was baked salmon topped with a sauce of homemade mayo mixed with fresh salsa, and a heaping side of Wildbrine's Red Beet and Cabbage sauerkraut.  I'm in LOVE with that sauerkraut...could eat the whole jar with a spoon. ;)

I'm not currently "doing" a W30, but I'm moving more and more to that type of eating as a lifestyle.  It's cool how it "creeps" into your thinking and becomes easier and easier.

• Like 6

Didn't think to snap a picture, but this morning's breakfast was a big, overflowing handful of shredded cabbage, a bit of shredded sweet potato, leftover rotisserie chicken, and some avocado oil. Jazzed it up with some 21-seasoning and downed a glass of strawberry and mint infused water.

• Administrators

This morning's breakfast...served cold.

Chicken bacon jalapeno burger, greek salad (minus the feta, of course) & half avocado.  And lots of rock salt.  And coffee.

• Like 5