glycoprep - gag!!!

i have to have a colonoscopy but before that happens I have to spend 3 months drinking this horrible horrible drink called glycoprep. I cannot describe how hideous this drink is and if i wasnt in the middle of the whole30, i would hide it in something other than water. does anyone have any advice on how to make this remotely palatable? it makes me want to cry or vomit when drinking it!

thanks!

Ouch. I've only ever had to take this the day before a colonoscopy, 3 months seems brutal. I was, however given a similar substance, Movicol, to take when I was in hospital. I opted for the unflavoured as the flavoured varieties all contained aspartame which I've always tried to avoid. I found the taste easier to bear if I took it in fizzy water, rather than still. I used to just chug it down quickly and sometimes have a herbal tea or something ready so I could get the taste out my mouth.

basically due to my cystic fibrosis my bowel has stopped working... at the risk of TMI - ive only been going once a week if im lucky! anyway they had me on movicol twice a day but it wasnt as effective as would hope. I dont even mind the taste of movicol! glycoprep however tastes like nasty chemicals you'd find in the garden shed mixed with salt water. even the thought of drinking it makes me want to cry and im normally pretty stoic when it comes to stuff like this. i found a flavoured one however youre right, with flavouring comes aspartame. do you think it would be okay to make some fresh orange juice to hide this in?

basically due to my cystic fibrosis my bowel has stopped working... at the risk of TMI - ive only been going once a week if im lucky! anyway they had me on movicol twice a day but it wasnt as effective as would hope. I dont even mind the taste of movicol! glycoprep however tastes like nasty chemicals you'd find in the garden shed mixed with salt water. even the thought of drinking it makes me want to cry and im normally pretty stoic when it comes to stuff like this. i found a flavoured one however youre right, with flavouring comes aspartame. do you think it would be okay to make some fresh orange juice to hide this in?

If this is the same stuff my doc gave me to drink before my colonoscopy (just a wellness visit one), then you have to be careful what you mix with it. I could only use Chrystal Light or something else (I forget what). I didn't like the Chrystal Light or what was in it, but it helped me get it down. Maybe you could call the doc and speak to the nurse and see what they suggest. That just sounds like torture.

I would say, as long as your doc okays the juice with the meds, that's fine - even during your W30. This is not your average, "I don't want to drink water" context. Do what you must to get and keep that stuff in you (all that stuff comes directly back out the wrong end for me), get better, and know that we're on your side!

Archived