Gin's Whole Life

ginsinnot

So I'm post Whole30 but still, obviously, working on making healthy choices everyday.

I chose to go off road this weekend and I'm happy with that decision. I had some meals and treats that weren't healthy but were enjoyable. I also mixed some W30 meals in too.

I found that logging here makes it a little easier to honestly track my habits. So, here's my riding my own bike experience:)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late dinner, stayed out shopping too long:)

Stir fry: chicken thighs in coconut oil. Then zucchini, carrots, broccoli, onion, peppers, pea pods. And coconut aminos. Delish.

Big step forward, to be out all day and still come home to make a healthy and tasty dinner. High five to me.

Slept well though a little less than I would have preferred. Woke up at 6:45 despite plan to sleep a little later, too excited to check out the election results.

Breakfast: sweet potato, breakfast sausage and mixed frozen berries. Black coffee.

Back to work after 5 days off, so my mood is pretty fantastic.

Lunch: chicken thigh with caramelized onion over salad of mixed greens, 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 tomato. La Croix coconut water. Homemade taco seasoning sprinkled on top of salad.

Dinner: purple cabbage (1/4 medium head), gala apple, sausage. Lemon water.

Busy night cleaning house and cooking. Pot of bacon beef chili on the stove. Roasted a kabocha squash in coconut oil and some cauliflower in olive oil for the next few days. Bedtime, have to get up early and need my sleep:)

Wow, day has gone by fast so far! A little short on sleep, bed at 10 but up at 5:45 to get in early to work.

B: scrambled eggs, 2 pieces bacon, black coffee. Could have used some more fat and my coffee was a wee bit strong, hard to sit at my desk when my caffeine level was saying "clean the house, wanna jog? lets scrub the walls" in a high pitched crazy voice.

L: bowl of hot chili from the crock pot (love chili that simmers a looong time), 1/2 avocado on top. Some fresh raspberries with a drizzle of coconut butter.

Dinner: not sure yet. Leaving work to drive over an hour to my fave hair stylist, time for some winter color (good bye highlights) and a cut. So dinner will be out and about.

That caffeine fortunately wore off, but sadly before my l made it through crazy big city rush hour traffic;)

Late dinner. Had a tasty apple on the drive home. Just inhaled a bowl of roasted cauliflower and slowed down for some chicken salad. It's ten to 11! Way past my new bed time. But I love my new hair cut and color and I can sleep in a smidge tomorrow:)

Wow, day has gone by fast so far! A little short on sleep, bed at 10 but up at 5:45 to get in early to work.

B: scrambled eggs, 2 pieces bacon, black coffee. Could have used some more fat and my coffee was a wee bit strong, hard to sit at my desk when my caffeine level was saying "clean the house, wanna jog? lets scrub the walls" in a high pitched crazy voice.

L: bowl of hot chili from the crock pot (love chili that simmers a looong time), 1/2 avocado on top. Some fresh raspberries with a drizzle of coconut butter.

Dinner: not sure yet. Leaving work to drive over an hour to my fave hair stylist, time for some winter color (good bye highlights) and a cut. So dinner will be out and about.

Do you have a good recipe for the chili? I'd love to make a batch in my crock pot!

Do you have a good recipe for the chili? I'd love to make a batch in my crock pot!

I do have a fantastic chili recipe. And I'm happy to share. But I actually cook it to start on the stove, and then transfer it to the crockpot to simmer. Would you still like a copy?

Breakfast (slept in, rushed to get to work, so ate at my desk): chicken salad and a lemon sparkling water. Just now finishing up my black coffee (have to finish it by noon)

Heading home for lunch in a few minutes, likely will just bring my lunch back to eat later as I'm not hungry yet. Chili :) , maybe some raspberries again with coconut butter

Tonight may be off road, may not. Probably not.

Saturday

B: eggs and bacon, coffee

Out and about most of the day

Snack: apple, some super delish salami from Ollie Salamaria, macadamia nuts

Late dinner, date with my husband: The best pizza place:) Barbq chicken pizza, water to drink. Then shared a slice of their scratch cheesecake with strawberries. Soooo good.

Sunday

B: eggs and bacon, coffee (maybe a breakfast rut)

Lunch: leftover pizza and a beer. Both great.

Dinner: slow cooker pork shoulder carnitas, lettuce, red pepper, tomato, green onion

Whole day of yardwork and what a beautiful day it was:)

Treat: ice cream

Monday, Veterans Day and so off work

B: scrambled eggs, coffee

L: last piece of leftover pizza

D: chicken fajita, few corn tortilla chips, Mexican rice. This is my first time trying non-gluten grains post Whole30. Love salsa, not so sure I love the tortilla chips. Only ate a few bites of rice, can take it or leave it I guess.

Now, some hot cardamom tea on a cold blustery evening. Need to get to bed early, didn't sleep so well last night.

I've been off-roading some lately and was beating myself up just a smidge about it. So I decided to review my progress since starting the Whole30 process.

1) My major goals included no pop or candy. And I've stuck to that, even since finishing. In fact, I can walk through the candy aisle at a major retailer, even when the Halloween and now Christmas candy has rolled out, and not even be tempted. That's not special, it's factory made crap with an amazing marketing machine. Pop has just a few times been slightly tempting, but then I think about how much sugar is in it (and I'm not going back to the diet stuff ever EVER again) and that I'd rather have a real treat, and just pass on the concept.

This is a really BIG deal for me.

I love being free from the pop/candy monster.

2) I'm really enjoying cooking and eating the healthy foods. It's relaxing to go home on my lunch and skillet cook some cabbage or spinach and some meat. It's tasty to eat. It's pretty to look at.

and 3) the offroading has been at times educational (don't really love rice, very picky about tortilla chips now, pizza is deliciousness defined and worth any issues, cheesecake is also worth it but maybe not ice cream)

and at times just delicious enjoyment (see pizza, cheesecake and add my sister's cupcakes on Halloween and I do enjoy the occasional adult beverage).

It's a process.

I'm reading "Lights Out, Sleep Sugar and Survival". Awesome read so far. And it has me thinking about tracking my carb intake because it's winter. So I may keep track of my carb intake in this log.

THIS IS NOT WHOLE30, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO TRACK CARBS, PALEO IS NOT A LOW CARB DIET

This is more of an "I want to know" how my body responds to carbs, especially in the winter time.

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs in a generous amount of ghee, black coffee (eaten at home at the dining table, very relaxing start to the day)

Lunch: 1/4 small red cabbage, 1/2 cup spinach, 1 pork sausage (no sugar or other bad stuff)

approx. 8 grams of carbs (I'm new at this, best estimate)

Today's dinner gets its own post because it was soooo yummy.

Pan seared chicken thighs roasted with cauliflower, sprinkled with thyme and 2 apples added to roast for the last 20 minutes.

I started with silverware, progressed to picking up the thigh to eat, and finished by licking my fingers:)

For my own tracking, had about 2 cups of the cauliflower and 2/3 apple, which would be about 10g from the cauliflower and 15 from

the apple, for carbs

Glad I found your blog. I've just picked up Power, Sex and Suicide, Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life. I've only read the forst two chapters--it's a bit of a slog so far. I'm hoping it gets better. The sleep book sounds good, I'm going to see if my library has a copy. My son used to have a terrible time sleeping. Getting up consistently at the same time every morning (and getting some sun) for the past two months has really helped him.

Glad I found your blog. I've just picked up Power, Sex and Suicide, Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life. I've only read the forst two chapters--it's a bit of a slog so far. I'm hoping it gets better. The sleep book sounds good, I'm going to see if my library has a copy. My son used to have a terrible time sleeping. Getting up consistently at the same time every morning (and getting some sun) for the past two months has really helped him.

I've had a long history of sleep problems. I'll go periods where it's okay, but I've always envied my husband who just lays down and goes to sleep, stays asleep and gets up!

I learned that I have to put my cats in their own bedrooms at night. Turns out I wasn't as bad a sleeper as I thought, I just had cats!

But I still have had some problems sleeping and feeling well rested. I've been sleeping better applying complete darkness in our bedroom. I need one more heavy duty curtain I think to really get the last sliver of light (also have black out shades under the curtains). We live in the city, so I have street lights just outside our windows. We also don't have any clocks or electronics in the bedroom besides an iPod which lays face down so there's no light.

I've found I really need 9 hours of sleep since I did my Whole30. 9.5 might be by ideal, but I'm working on 9 consistently. I'm also trying to get up at dawn, which is around 7am here currently.

And I find I'm sleeping better without any tv at night (my husband loves to just have the tv on, we're working on this, though we don't have any tv outside of the family room thank goodness!). I'm dimming the lights we do have on, lighting some candles and working on just reading and relaxing after we get the kitchen cleaned up each night.

And I'm pretty light on any specific exercise, though I walk to and from work and have 2 walking breaks each day. I want to have my sleep and nutrition straight first before focusing on any specific exercise routines beyond some regular activity through gardening, walking, or housework. I think I've had messed up cortisol levels in the past due to steroid therapy for my Crohns.

Hi Gin..................I still waiting for the chili recipe. I have made the Chocolate chili and it is great. But I want something else.

Can you e-mail it to me? You can find my e-mail address in my profile. Thanks so much.

After finishing my Whole 30 with success I completely blew it for two weeks and so I'm starting again.

Hi Gin..................I still waiting for the chili recipe. I have made the Chocolate chili and it is great. But I want something else.

Can you e-mail it to me? You can find my e-mail address in my profile. Thanks so much.

After finishing my Whole 30 with success I completely blew it for two weeks and so I'm starting again.

You finished your Whole30 SUCCESFULLY. You didn't blow anything.

"It might take a month, or two, or three....but we predict that you will wake up and realize taht (a) you've somehow slipped back into mediocre eating habits, (B) you don't feel so fantastic anymore, and © it's really time to clean things up again. When you get to this place, hear us clearly: This does not mean you've failed your post-Whole30 test"

Straight from the source.

Don't beat yourself up!

I'm emailing the chili recipe today. I'm so sorry I didn't remember to send it to you sooner!

B: scrambled eggs, carnita, black coffee

L: Leftover chicken thigh cauliflower apple stuff, 1/2 cup kabocha squash

Upset stomach this afternoon:(

Dinner: Decided to try some corn chips with leftover carnitas, red pepper, tomato and onion. Also a small sweet potato.

Carbs: 10g lunch (about 1/2 cup), 19 g corn chips, 22 g sweet potato, 4 g squash

Hi, thanks for the chili recipe. Now one more quick question : What is carnita?

Well, my understanding is pork cooked in lard so it just sort of melts in your mouth. I use my slow cooker and a lime onion sauce. They can be served in shells, but we just eat it by the bowlful with avocado or peppers or tomatoes:)

Archived