Clear skin before Whole30, Acne on Whole30

Hello! I have had very clear skin my whole life (praise the gene gods). But since starting Whole30, I am breaking out on my face. It started around Day 3-4 and now I just finished Day 14 and it hasn't gotten better. Most of the break out is focused on my chin. I am frustrated as I came into this to improve my life and have added this new problem that I have never, ever had before! I did expect changes, and wasn't surprised or upset when I saw some acne on Day 4, but thought it would have cleared up by now.

Background info: I came into Whole30 from a pretty healthy previous diet though I was not 100% free of any of the groups restricted on Whole30.

• Moderators

Is there any food you're eating now that you didn't eat before Whole30, or a food that you used to eat occasionally and are suddenly eating a lot more of? Maybe if there's something like that, it's contributing to the breakout? I think I've heard of people noticing breakouts and finding it's the bpa in the lining of cans of coconut milk, and now I can't find that discussion anymore, but it was somewhere here on the forum. Maybe someone else will have better luck finding it, or know if I'm at least remembering correctly. 

I am trying a lot of new recipes on Whole30, but none of the foods themselves are new to me.

I am eating quite a bit more eggs and vegetables of course. I have also begun eating a bit more red meat (before I stuck mostly to poultry as my meat).

19 hours ago, arapp said:

I am trying a lot of new recipes on Whole30, but none of the foods themselves are new to me.

I am eating quite a bit more eggs and vegetables of course. I have also begun eating a bit more red meat (before I stuck mostly to poultry as my meat).

This is just me personally, but over the last two weeks I have cut out eggs from my diet (except for the one egg in my homemade mayo that is split across multiple days) and I've noticed a significant decrease in acne breakouts, even during my time of the month. I also drink a ton of h2o, eat lots of healthy fat and add a collagen supplement every day. So I'm sure it's a combo of all those things, but I have read about a lot of people having issues with their skin relating to eggs. So I tried a little experiment for myself. You could try too!

Archived