3AM - for the love of God

I completed my first whole30 five years ago now and repeat it at least one or twice a year. Throughout the years, I have developed this awful period (and only when I'm doing whole30) where I wake up every. single. night. at. 3. a. m.

Currently, I'm on day 8 of my latest whole30 and all I can say is - here we go again 3am. This will last the entire month.

I'm an ER nurse so I can comfortably say - I get my exercise on. In addition, I've tried morning workouts, night workouts, blah blah blah - none of it helps, I still wake up.

I'm also much like the gestapo when it comes to how and what I eat so there is no cheating or 'oops, I wasn't sure about that meal" - everything is made by these sweet little hands.

I thought its might have something to do with the glucose level in my brain at that time of night - so I've experimented with fruits, sweet potato, and meals in general at different times - still no bueno.

Mayday mayday - anybody out there??

• Moderators
1 minute ago, nova said:

I completed my first whole30 five years ago now and repeat it at least one or twice a year. Throughout the years, I have developed this awful period (and only when I'm doing whole30) where I wake up every. single. night. at. 3. a. m.

Currently, I'm on day 8 of my latest whole30 and all I can say is - here we go again 3am. This will last the entire month.

I'm an ER nurse so I can comfortably say - I get my exercise on. In addition, I've tried morning workouts, night workouts, blah blah blah - none of it helps, I still wake up.

I'm also much like the gestapo when it comes to how and what I eat so there is no cheating or 'oops, I wasn't sure about that meal" - everything is made by these sweet little hands.

I thought its might have something to do with the glucose level in my brain at that time of night - so I've experimented with fruits, sweet potato, and meals in general at different times - still no bueno.

Mayday mayday - anybody out there??

Are you eating within an hour of waking?  Do you stop eating a few hours before bed?  Would you like to provide us more information, such as what you've been eating including specific portion sizes related to the template, veggies, protein, fat and fruits, water intake, meal timing... the more info the better... 

In the spirit of honesty:

After my first whole30, I had to get tested because I got really sick when I went back to all foods - found out I was allergic to gluten, dairy, yeast. I only share that because I eat gluten, dairy, yeast free year round now. Well, hmm, maybe I fudge a little on the yeast (aka sugar) in the form of yummy scrumptious cupcakes and crepes and cookies and ... but that is only when I'm not doing whole30. Trust me, when I'm on whole30, sugar, honey, maple, vanilla - none of it touches my mouth.

I eat within 2 hours of waking - usually an hour and a half.

I typically don't eat 3-4hrs before I go to bed. On the days I work (which is 3 days a week), that time frame can be longer just because of the long shifts, when I get a lunch/dinner, and how late I get home. For example: If I get home at 8pm and have to be back up at 5am for work again, I won't generally eat anything between then.

Three large meals a days pretty much does it for me. Even if I'm working, I'll fit it in. I've learned to eat more veggies than fruit. I've recently started eating my fruit 30mins before each meal because of what I've learned in how the fructose breaks down and bloating and ...

As far as portions, I may eat for 2 or 3 people each meal. Food is a love language of mine and I remember reading somewhere on whole30's site that you can eat as much as you'd like, its all good stuff - paraphrase ;)

Water - at least 8 cups of water a day

Veggies - largest portion of what I eat

Protein - at least the size of my hand

Fruit - also size of my hand, sometimes 2 hands :)

Fat - olive oil, coconut oil, avocado

• Moderators

Hey there - Again, without knowing specifically what youve been eating, it's not possible for us to give advice.

Do you go back to sleep when you wake up at 3am or is that your wake up time?

Did you do reintros last time?  You said you had to get tested when you went back to all foods and the items that you were tested for were problematic... reintroductions after your Whole30 would have provided you with that info.

Thanks for the quick responses!

My bad - you wanted specific foods...

Veggies - fresh broccoli, carrots, tomato, cucumber, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, brussels, onion, beets, green beans, kale, spinach, asparagus, celery, sweet potato, cauliflower, cabbage

Fruit - fresh berries, peaches, melons, kiwi, banana, all fruit really except papaya

Protein - grass fed /organic ground beef, chicken, turkey, egg

Emergency snack is usually something like almonds and raisins, veggie, or a fruit

I eat variations of this all week, every week. I either eat my food fresh in its most basic state (about a 1/3-1/2 of the time) or I'll throw it in the oven or on the stove with some olive oil and salt/pepper/lemon and orange seasoning. The only veggie I get that is not fresh is green beans and even then, the can reads green beans, water, salt

As far as reintros - again, in the spirit of honesty, I'm not a fan and perhaps why I'm also noncompliant with it.

• Administrators

My response isn't Whole30 related at all, but perhaps something to consider and a way to reduce any anxiety that you have over waking at 3am.

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

The concept of second sleep allows for mid-night waking, being restful and relaxed for an hour or so and then going back to sleep. If your schedule can accommodate this, you might just roll with it?

Archived