Something's not Right

On 6/16/2017 at 6:17 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Can you give us an idea of what you've been eating for the last two or three days including portion sizes related to template, specific veggies, protein, fat, fruits, water intake (1/2oz per pound of body weight), whether you're salting your food (going from a SAD to Whole30 can drop your sodium intake by as much as 70%), sleep, stress etc...

I have been having the same problem! I am on Day 19 and other than the initial migraine on day 2, I hadn't had any headaches at all until recently. I have had the same headache from morning to night when I go to sleep since Day 17 (started at night on day 16). Here is an idea of what I have been eating:

breakfast: 1 serving of breakfast casserole. (Casserole serves 8 and uses 1 lb ground beef, 14 eggs, 2 potatoes, red bell pepper, and onion)

lunch: palm sized portion of baked chicken, handful of diced potatoes, and a heaping handful of green beans

dinner: palm sized portion of pork chop tenderloin and the rest of the plate is filled with steamed veggies (assortment of broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, and water chestnuts)

alternate dinner: palm sized portion of pork chop tenderloin mixed into bowl of spinach salad with carrots and tomatoes

Occasionally when I get home from work, I can't help but munch on some fruit. These little snacks are either half a can of diced pineapples (in 100% pineapple juice) or 6 strawberries or 20 grapes or 1 plum. I never mix the fruit so those are the quantities and the one time I eat fruit. I will also sometimes have a closed handful of almonds or pecans every now and then to get in a healthy fat. 

Sleep wise I have been going to bed at 10 PM and waking up at 6:45 AM with a few times of restlessness throughout the night. I wake up enough to know I'm awake but I usually fall right back asleep. 

I have been drinking 120 fl. oz of water per day (especially when I started getting the headaches) and I weighed 160 when I started so I know I'm drinking plenty of water. 

I have been wanting to begin a workout routine, but because of the headaches I haven't started yet. I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle as well. I have been reading books more frequently, but I haven't been working my brain any more than I normally would when I'm in school. I don't understand what the headaches could be coming from and I have yet to feel that tiger blood nor have I noticed any NSVs so far or noticed any change in my body in the mirror. I'm starting to get worried that maybe I'm doing some part of the Whole 30 incorrectly without realizing it...

I am on Day 19 and I'm getting concerned that I am either doing something wrong or that I just am not getting any of the benefits of the Whole 30.

First off, I have had a recent negative side effect. Other than the initial migraine on day 2, I hadn't had any headaches at all until recently. I have had the same headache from morning to night when I go to sleep since Day 17 (started at night on day 16). Here is an idea of what I have been eating:

breakfast (within one hour to an hour and a half of waking up): 1 serving of breakfast casserole. (Casserole serves 8 and uses 1 lb ground beef, 14 eggs, 2 potatoes, red bell pepper, and onion)

lunch: palm sized portion of baked chicken, handful of diced potatoes, and a heaping handful of green beans

dinner: palm sized portion of pork chop tenderloin and the rest of the plate is filled with steamed veggies (assortment of broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, and water chestnuts)

alternate dinner: palm sized portion of pork chop tenderloin mixed into bowl of spinach salad with carrots and tomatoes

Occasionally when I get home from work (if I'm being honest it's been almost every day the past week), I can't help but munch on some fruit. These little snacks are either half a can of diced pineapples (in 100% pineapple juice) or 6 strawberries or 20 grapes or 1 plum. I never mix the fruit so those are the quantities and the one time I eat fruit. I will also sometimes have a closed handful of almonds or pecans every now and then to get in a healthy fat. 

I do get pretty hungry in between meals, but I feel like a part of that is due to boredom or just cravings. I say this because I noticed that when I have nothing to do I feel like I'm starving only 3 hours after lunch, but on days I am busy I can eat the same lunch and can easily go the full 5 hours before thinking about eating again. 

Sleep wise I have been going to bed at 10 PM and waking up at 6:45 AM with a few times of restlessness throughout the night. I wake up enough to know I'm awake but I usually fall right back asleep. 

I have been drinking 120 fl. oz of water per day (especially when I started getting the headaches) and I weighed 160 when I started so I know I'm drinking plenty of water. 

I have been wanting to begin a workout routine, but because of the headaches I haven't started yet. I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle as well. I have been reading books more frequently, but I haven't been working my brain any more than I normally would when I'm in school.

I don't understand what the headaches could be coming from and I have yet to feel that tiger blood nor have I noticed any NSVs so far or noticed any change in my body in the mirror. I don't notice mood swings or any internal changes. Regardless of my change in diet, I haven't seen any difference in how I feel on the inside when I eat or when I get hungry. I feel like my cravings may have gotten better, but that might just be because I have forgotten what sugar tastes like and I'm scared that the moment I eat it again I'll fall right back into the place I was with treats. 

I'm starting to get worried that maybe I'm doing some part of the Whole 30 incorrectly without realizing it...

PLEASE HELP!

• Administrators

You are not eating enough and your meals are not fully composed to the recommendations.

The breakfast casserole gives you less than 2 eggs, 2 ounces of meat, a quarter of a potato and an eighth each of pepper and onion and it's missing fat. 

Your lunch and both dinners that you referenced don't show any fat source.  

Eating fruit on its own between meals just serves to spike and drop your blood sugar so that isn't helping. 

Given the low amount of food you are eating it only surprises me that you did not get a headache sooner. Your fitful sleep is also a part of eating too little food.

My recommendation for you would be to first, check out the meal template in my sigature below to remind yourself how to compose your meals. Second I would bump up your entire breakfast with more protein, more vegetables and a fat serving or two. Add fat to the rest of your meals and try for a palm and a half or two palms of protein.

You should be able to comfortably go 4-5 hours between meals without feeling hungry. Bored/cravey, sure. Actual hunger, no.

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Christa Patterson said:

I have been having the same problem! I am on Day 19 and other than the initial migraine on day 2, I hadn't had any headaches at all until recently. I have had the same headache from morning to night when I go to sleep since Day 17 (started at night on day 16). Here is an idea of what I have been eating:

breakfast: 1 serving of breakfast casserole. (Casserole serves 8 and uses 1 lb ground beef, 14 eggs, 2 potatoes, red bell pepper, and onion)

Occasionally when I get home from work, I can't help but munch on some fruit. These little snacks are either half a can of diced pineapples (in 100% pineapple juice) or 6 strawberries or 20 grapes or 1 plum. I never mix the fruit so those are the quantities and the one time I eat fruit. I will also sometimes have a closed handful of almonds or pecans every now and then to get in a healthy fat. 

I have been wanting to begin a workout routine, but because of the headaches I haven't started yet. I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle as well. I have been reading books more frequently, but I haven't been working my brain any more than I normally would when I'm in school. I don't understand what the headaches could be coming from and I have yet to feel that tiger blood nor have I noticed any NSVs so far or noticed any change in my body in the mirror. I'm starting to get worried that maybe I'm doing some part of the Whole 30 incorrectly without realizing it...

Do you not eat fat with every meal?  I don't see any fat listed...

• Administrators

@Christa Patterson - Please do not cross post to various categories. I already answered your post in the Troubleshooting thread you created. Please help us to keep the forum tidy and avoid wasting moderator's time by not posting the exact same thing to multiple parts of the forum. I have moved this post back over to your troubleshooting thread.

Occasionally I eat a closed handful of nuts with my meals but because nuts aren't the ideal form of fat (I don't like olives and I'm allergic to avocados) I try not to eat them with every meal. I also cook with olive oil. The other thing was that I unfortunately can't afford the best cuts of meat, so some of my meat is somewhat fatter than a proper cut. Would this supplement my healthy fats?

Archived