Why is corn not listed on the "can I have" list?

Bpike1

I just did Whole 30 for the 2nd time but realized that I had been eating corn on the Cobb, which was out of the program. I don't understand why corn is not listed on the main "can I have" list, with other foods that you wouldn't necessarily attribute to being unhealthy. If it had been on the list, I wouldn't have made that mistake. I guess they assume that corn is a common sense no for the program, as the main rules for the program state, "do not consume wheat, barley, corn, buckwheat, etc...", but they still include some of these foods from the main rules for the program (like buckwheat) in the "can I have" list anyway. Especially when foods like buckwheat are on the list, I don't understand why they would just omit corn altogether in the "can I have" section. Corn on the Cobb is not a common sense "no". Wheat and barley are clearly common sense "no's" as they are obviously grains, and people don't ever eat pure wheat and barley for a meal. But corn, they do, and you wouldn't just associate it with being unhealthy (if you don't put any butter or anything on it). I just wish that they include it on the list, and talk about the science behind why it is unhealthy (GMO, etc...)

Right, I understand this. The rules under grains says do not consume:

"wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, sprouted grains, and all gluten-free pseudo-cereals like quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat."

But then in the "can I have" section, which is a section that answers officially if you can have foods which would not seem to be unhealthy, but actually are, it definitively calls out of the above list "quinoa," "buckwheat," and "pseudo-cereals." As corn (talking about corn on the cobb here, not corn syrup, etc.) is something that is regularly consumed in a pure state, (as opposed to wheat, rye, barley, etc..., which are all used as ingredients in food) and since buckwheat and quinoa and pseudo-cereals are included in the "can I have" section, I just think it would be informative and more clear for corn to be put in the "can I have" section as well. If you're going to make 100% clear why quinoa, buckwheat and pseudo-cereals are unhealthy, it would make sense to the same thing with corn on the cobb  as well in that same section. Additionally I think the reasoning and science behind why corn on the cobb is actually potentially unhealthy would be interesting to people.

I don't know. Maybe I'm nit-picking here.

• Moderators

The "Can I Have" list was put together to answer the most-asked questions (at least at the time it was made). It wasn't intended to take the place of the rules, and in fact says at the very beginning that before you ask about something, you should read the rules. I guess that quinoa and buckwheat were specifically being asked about at the time despite being mentioned in the rules, but corn wasn't. I don't know if Melissa has any plans to update the list anytime soon, but if we hear that she is, we can certainly suggest including corn.

There is some explanation of why grains in general, including corn and other pseudo-grains, are left out of Whole30 in the Grain Manifesto, and in It Starts With Food.

Archived