MarieC1978

August 7th Start Date

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, MarieC1978 said:

If you get offended easily, please read no more!!!!!!

 

Okay All...Funny thing happened.  I am making some awesome burgers tonight with all the veggies and a sweet potato bun.  I have some pickles in the fridge that I wanted to use on my burger.  So I check to see if they are compliant.  I look at the ingredients and I see Alum listed.  I don't know what that is, so I google "What is Alum?" 

The third entry down on Google is:

Alum Uses For Tightening The Vagina Naturally - Medicinal & Others

Pretty sure I'm not gonna want to eat that anymore!!!:lol:

 

Bahahahahahaha!!!!! Me either!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, amandamay83 said:

Yeah, it was really a mixed bag...there wasn't much middle ground.  Either running on W30 was the devil or it  was the easiest thing ever :lol:

I'm going to try my 10 mile run this weekend with dates as fuel.  If it winds up truly miserable, though, I'm willing to compromise on my W30 for my long runs.  I know, I know:  it's not a W30, then...you* can save the "tough love" for someone else.  Running is important for my mental health and I'm not willing to give it up (or give up on my goals) in the name of a W30.  I understand it's not the same, that I will lose some of the benefits of W30, etc... but that's a compromise I'm willing to make.  (But I AM hopeful that dates will work well for me and that this will be a non-issue!)

 

*Well, not, YOU.  Like, the mods and the world and everyone, lol.

Check out Ultrarunnergirl - she's a forum mod here and she has a blog that discusses how to fuel for endurance events while on Whole30. 

It might also help you to know that once you are fat adapted (and give yourself a BIG OLD BUNCHA LEEWAY in your first 10-14 days with your running performance!), you may find that you don't need to fuel as often as you did previously. Often we hear of folks being able to do those longer runs without carrying food with them. 

Finally, if you do skip out on Whole30 for your runs, just to keep the forum tidy and non-confusing, we would ask you not to post anything about your non-compliance here in the general threads. The mods will delete it............it's nothing personal, just forum housekeeping. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Sitting here sipping on some roasted dandelion tea with my new favorite coconut milk and cinnamon topping thinking how lucky I feel to 1.) have found this program and 2.) to have lucked into this start date and "met" you guys.  This is kinda' amazing . . . we have NO IDEA who each other was and yet there is caring and honesty and collaboration and love and it's all because we truly know that we need each other to do this and we're willing to band together to make it through.

 

I've been busy at work so not able to stop in today but I just read through this whole thread now. Man, you guys are a loving bunch! Around page 3 I figured we'd be breaking up a word-war but no, ya'll are adulty and compassionate and kind and it made me so happy to read! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ladyshanny said:

if you do skip out on Whole30 for your runs, just to keep the forum tidy and non-confusing, we would ask you not to post anything about your non-compliance here in the general threads. The mods will delete it............it's nothing personal, just forum housekeeping. :) 

Not a problem, I totally understand and had planned to keep it to myself :)  (Well, after this, I guess. Sorry.)

I'm definitely gonna check out Ultrarunnergirl, though, so thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, everyone! I started on Aug 7 as well. I haven't been able to write until now, because I've been cooking nonstop!! Ha! 

I know people talk about weird craving dreams, but I had a different kind of dream. Homemade mayo made an appearance in a dream about detaining a suspected terrorist. No connection was given in the dream. I think I was just cooking and prepping so furiously the first few days that I became obsessed. 

I don't know if anyone else did this, but just for week 1, to take some of the decision-making out of it for me (because I get overwhelmed with too many options/too much information), I am simply following the sample 7-day meal plan in the Whole30 book. But I'm cooking for one, and not only have I spent an egregious amount of money on ingredients, but I have way too much food. I'm starting to worry that things are going to go bad before I can finish the leftovers, so I stopped cooking today to pause and re-evaluate. Now I'm trying to clean out some of the old prepared stuff before I make anything new. 

I had a headache on day 2. I went to the beach yesterday with 2 friends and am proud to report that I packed my own compliant lunch and ate that while my friends ate the arepas and lobster rolls and potato chips they bought at the beachside snack shack. And then I invited them over for dinner afterward, since I knew my brisket and butternut squash would be ready from turning on the crockpot earlier in the day. They were super impressed with my mad cooking skills. I've been very tired today, but my friends are too, so I think that was more from the beach day and not drinking enough water than from Whole30. 

I'm digging this so far! But I have to make a more simplified plan for next week that is more single-sized. 

I read Food Freedom Forever first, then Whole30, and now I have It Starts With Food loaded up and ready to start on my Kindle, so I'm all out of order too. But any way you slice it, I'm glad it led to actually doing this. 

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my big mouth up til now talking about doing ok . . . I have felt really good but I am feeling weak now - my day 4 is everyone's day 2-3. I keep having these evil thoughts of walking in the house and eating something "substantial" and having a nice, cold glass of pinot grigio.  I think I have just been buried in work all day and, on these days, I would normally go home and have a glass of wine and some crackers and hummus for dinner.  

Don't think I'd do that for ANYTHING today, but I'm sad to feel this way.  I was doing so well emotionally.  Ugh.  Double ugh.

So, I am going to go home and grab my husband and my dog and go for a walk to get some fresh air.  Then, we'll make our chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts and then I'll distract myself in my It Starts With Food book.

Sorry to vent.  Just frustrating.  Still focused and still passionate.  But, still human! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Me and my big mouth up til now talking about doing ok . . . I have felt really good but I am feeling weak now - my day 4 is everyone's day 2-3. I keep having these evil thoughts of walking in the house and eating something "substantial" and having a nice, cold glass of pinot grigio.  I think I have just been buried in work all day and, on these days, I would normally go home and have a glass of wine and some crackers and hummus for dinner.

that is me today! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a  head ache today. Not sure if its' my "normal" one (i get them) or connected to the food.... Had great energy in the morning, even beat my Personal record wityh double unders, but onthe sofa right now, sort of hungry, but too lazy to get food :) Been wanting to snack all day as well, apples with almond butter. Nothing bad, but i want to learn not to snack between meal, which i found out i have been doing a lot in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Karen L said:

So, yeah.  Today is Day 4.  My body feels heavy (was an effort to walk up two flights of stairs).  My breakfast is sitting on my stomach and I have no energy.

How's everyone else feeling this fine day?

My husband and I have had a rough day as well. He did a lot of lifting and ran out of energy while at work. I am kind of low energy and really miss my coffee granitas lol. I'm pretty sure it's sugar detox. Oddly enough, I've noticed I'm much more calm whereas usually I'm in a rushed, stressed frenzy. I'm not sure if the calm is from no sugar or an additive. So very interesting! I'm so glad this group exists. It helps to hear from others who have similar experiences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

If you get offended easily, please read no more!!!!!!

 

Okay All...Funny thing happened.  I am making some awesome burgers tonight with all the veggies and a sweet potato bun.  I have some pickles in the fridge that I wanted to use on my burger.  So I check to see if they are compliant.  I look at the ingredients and I see Alum listed.  I don't know what that is, so I google "What is Alum?" 

The third entry down on Google is:

Alum Uses For Tightening The Vagina Naturally - Medicinal & Others

Pretty sure I'm not gonna want to eat that anymore!!!:lol:

LMAO!!!! Now that made my day! Too funny!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Karen L said:

Why does everyone at my job have to pick Day 4: "I want to kill everyone" to conspire against me and get on my last nerve?  :lol:

Its been a rough one today for me too. Not as bad as it could have been but, dang! I still really want to have that glass of merlot tonight. BUT, I'm staying strong and opting for a strawberry perrier. Not the same but, maybe if I pour it in a wine glass I can pretend, lol!! I'm about to get dinner ready and have my leftovers for breakfast. Grilled pork chops with some nice spices, mashed sweet potato puree, and some steamed asparagus. This way I can have some eggs for breakfast, some pork and asparagus all chopped up together. I may get crazy and add some tapatio to spice it up. 

Congrats to us all it may have been tough but, we survived Day 4!!!!! May Day 5 be easier??!!?? Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, amandamay83 said:

Yeah, it was really a mixed bag...there wasn't much middle ground.  Either running on W30 was the devil or it  was the easiest thing ever :lol:

I'm going to try my 10 mile run this weekend with dates as fuel.  If it winds up truly miserable, though, I'm willing to compromise on my W30 for my long runs.  I know, I know:  it's not a W30, then...you* can save the "tough love" for someone else.  Running is important for my mental health and I'm not willing to give it up (or give up on my goals) in the name of a W30.  I understand it's not the same, that I will lose some of the benefits of W30, etc... but that's a compromise I'm willing to make.  (But I AM hopeful that dates will work well for me and that this will be a non-issue!)

 

*Well, not, YOU.  Like, the mods and the world and everyone, lol.

There is a section on the Forum titled W30 for Athletes. I haven't looked and read through all of the posts, but there is a ton of information and I see a lot of runners posting. Before you jump off plan for your runs, take a look and see what struggles others faced and how they combated it. I think the first few days to two weeks at most will be the hardest.  I'm sure you can find that answer somewhere in there  

having said this, I am a firm believer in people doing what is best for them. My husband is doing a "modified" W30 as he calls it. He has Stevia in his coffee and snacks every once in a while, but his meals are compliant to support me. He also doesn't talk about his coffee at all as I am dying for my Venti Quad Nonfat White Mocha!  If you don't want to follow W30 completely because of your runs, that is your choice. No shame in keeping your physical AND mental health moving in a positive direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning on going to brunch with friends next weekend, and I'm already freaking out about it. I'm so nervous that I'm accidentally going to eat something off plan. I have been researching possible restaurants and I think I may have found a good one, but what types of questions do people typically ask the restaurant before going to ensure that there are no "oops!" surprises while dining out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

There is a section on the Forum titled W30 for Athletes. I haven't looked and read through all of the posts, but there is a ton of information and I see a lot of runners posting. Before you jump off plan for your runs, take a look and see what struggles others faced and how they combated it. I think the first few days to two weeks at most will be the hardest.  I'm sure you can find that answer somewhere in there  

having said this, I am a firm believer in people doing what is best for them. My husband is doing a "modified" W30 as he calls it. He has Stevia in his coffee and snacks every once in a while, but his meals are compliant to support me. He also doesn't talk about his coffee at all as I am dying for my Venti Quad Nonfat White Mocha!  If you don't want to follow W30 completely because of your runs, that is your choice. No shame in keeping your physical AND mental health moving in a positive direction. 

I actually found that section shortly after posted, and then felt like an ass for posting here first and not properly searching (or even looking at) the forums.  Truly sorry about that, guys...I hate being "that" person.  But thank you for all the help!

Your husband may be my W30 spirit animal, lol.  I have a couple other mods that I know make it not a real W30 (that I won't discuss, I promise!), but it remains a huge challenge for me, so I'm very glad to have the support of you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday, my Day 1 Take 2, was successful.  Things I noticed:  I'm really used to having something sweet after a meal.  The was the worst part of my day, 8:00 at night and nothing sweet.  Clearly, a habit that needs to be broken!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

My husband is doing a "modified" W30 as he calls it. He has Stevia in his coffee and snacks every once in a while, but his meals are compliant to support me. He also doesn't talk about his coffee at all as I am dying for my Venti Quad Nonfat White Mocha!

@MarieC1978, thank you so much, this post makes me smile. Isn't it funny how sad it can make us feel when someone takes a sip of their coffee and then goes "mmmmmmmmmmm" ... haha! I love that you have this agreement with him to keep quiet. I also love that he's supporting you through your 30 days in his modified way. There really is strength in numbers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2017 at 9:30 AM, amandamay83 said:

I'm the oddball... I read "It Starts with Food" a couple years ago and found the tone incredibly off-putting.  I got just the Whole30 book this time and while there are still parts that are hard to swallow, it's much easier for me to take.  I guess I'll just have to trust all the rest of you that the reasoning behind the program is good, LOL.

You're not odd! I love to read and I find the science and psychology behind Whole30 fascinating, but I found It Starts With Food impossible to read. I use it as a reference only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, amandamay83 said:

Yesterday, my Day 1 Take 2, was successful.  Things I noticed:  I'm really used to having something sweet after a meal.  The was the worst part of my day, 8:00 at night and nothing sweet.  Clearly, a habit that needs to be broken!

A suggestion that helps me:  have an apple or other sweet fruit at the end of your dinner (apples really fill me up).  Then brush and floss your teeth.  If, at 8:00, you're still really craving something, maybe some hot (compliant) tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, invinciblechar said:

I'm planning on going to brunch with friends next weekend, and I'm already freaking out about it. I'm so nervous that I'm accidentally going to eat something off plan. I have been researching possible restaurants and I think I may have found a good one, but what types of questions do people typically ask the restaurant before going to ensure that there are no "oops!" surprises while dining out?

I know what they cook in is really important (eggs).  Also, some restaurants add pancake batter to their eggs. (gross).  Not sure what else - I guess you'd have to be careful about sausage or bacon, also.  I'd suggest sticking to eggs and veggies, with a side of fruit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2017 at 7:25 AM, amandamay83 said:

Anyone else doing (or have done) the daily email subscription? Yesterday was my Day 1, which I flunked. So at the end, where you click "success!" or "start over," I was honest and clicked "start over." I guess I expected to get the Day 1 email again today, which I did not. Did I jack up my subscription and now I have to pay another $15? Or does it just not resend emails and I'll get Day 2 tomorrow?

Hi there.. curious...did you get day 2 today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Karen L said:

Hi there.. curious...did you get day 2 today?

I did!  I went back into my Day 1 email and this time clicked, "success!" which I assume triggered Day 2 today.  (Whew!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Karen L said:

I know what they cook in is really important (eggs).  Also, some restaurants add pancake batter to their eggs. (gross).  Not sure what else - I guess you'd have to be careful about sausage or bacon, also.  I'd suggest sticking to eggs and veggies, with a side of fruit.  

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also doing the Whole30 daily. Its awesome! Its the extra support I need. It also has some really good tips and of course when you click success, you get a really funny video or pic!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now