Feeling a bit scared...not counting calories

Hi all,

Since my last post about wether or not to count calories. i haven't counted any calories since October 23rd.

However, I'm starting to feel frightened. I'm frightened because I'm worried I'm eating too much.

For instance today for the whole day I had, 6 eggs, 1 chorizo, 25 grms blueberries, 1 banana, 25 grms almonds, 1 bok choy, 1/4 red capsicum, 1/2 cup of mushrooms, 2 TBS of Ghee, 1/4 head of lettuce 1/4 carrot, 3 cherry tomatoes, 1/4 can of coconut cream, 1/4 cup roast chicken, 1 coffee and 7 or 8 glasses of water.

When I lost weight before 20+ years ago I survived on diet red pop and 1 weight watcher meal a day. I walked 20 miles a day literally to get in to the military. I'm so thankful that I am not doing that this time but what I'm scared of is remember how great I felt because I was so thin and I have lost a lot of weight by eating the Whole 30 way I don't want to loose that again (go back to being heavier and feeling like rubbish)

Have any of you experienced this and know what I mean?

Honestly that amount of food sounds like how much I eat on a daily basis except I may eat a little more fat. I'm 5'5" and got down to 130 from 138 on my Whole30 in October. It doesn't make sense to eat SO much more (plus way higher fat) and lose weight but our bodies know better than our minds and it works!!! Have faith and be patient. The more you stress about it the more your body will hold on to the fat, so stop stressing and enjoy putting healthy food in your body!!

I LOVE the freedom of no longer counting calories. My BODY is telling me how much to eat, not a preset number. I don't have the guilt associated with "Oh my gosh I am out of calories for the day but am still hungry." I also had days where I was not hungry, yet felt like I 'deserved" to eat all of those calories, so I added in discretionary calories, ie junk food. Does any of that make any sense?

Your list has whole foods. You did not list off fast food, french fries, soda, chips and crackers. You listed REAL food.

If you are eating, and are satiated, you are not feeling hungry, are getting plenty of water and sleep, let it go. Like Rachael said, stressing about it will only make it worse.

Sorry if I sound like I am yelling at you, but I feel so FREE by no longer calorie counting. I guess I just want others to feel that as well!

The adjustment to eating more food does mess with your mind a bit, like being in a fun house where everything looks unreal. It goes so much against the grain (ha!) of what we have learned in other "diets". That's one reason why I call this an eating plan rather than a diet.

Eat, drink, and be merry. :)

Hey Outback! Good to "see" you :)

One of the things I'm doing is taking pictures of my plates of food. That way, I can see that my portions have stayed the same or gotten smaller as I pursue eating this way. I think it's important. But I'm not measuring or using daily plate or calculating anything.

What you eat (or more importantly, what you don't eat) is vital for sustained weight loss. I really believe that one needs to shut down the starchy grain and legume based carbs and up the fat --in order to re-set one's insulin (and leptin) levels. That's what the whole30 does for you. It also re-trains your body to go to your fat stores to get energy--you don't have a ton of glucose in your system anymore, so the body can't use that for fuel.

I believe that 2000 calories of eating the whole30 way is handled by your body differently (once it is fat-adapted) than 2000 calories of a typical before whole 30 diet. I have no idea if there is scientific proof of this or not.

That said, I don't believe you can eat 3500 calories the whole 30 way, day after day and lose weight (unless you're some kind of super-athlete or something, though I may be wrong!). But I think it would be difficult to eat 3500 calories a day the whole 30 way--if you're not a super-athlete and listening to your body.

I have this wacko theory that by eating the whole30 way, your body will set itself at a healthier weight--you will eat what you need, and you will have the energy to exercise and maintain the activity levels your body needs to get there AS LONG AS you keep your stress levels down and get adequate sleep. Those latter two things can cause the body to hang on to its fat for dear life (Pregnancy, too, though I don't think that's an issue, lol!)

For me, the whole process comes down getting out of my head and listening to and getting in touch with my body(another benefit from eating the whole30 way-- I can drop the whole diet mentality.) --something I've been scared to do most of my life.

Anyway, these are just my own thoughts and may or may not be accurate. And I hope I made sense.

Hi all thank you for your posts on this. If find your words both soothing as well as informative.

Honestly that amount of food sounds like how much I eat on a daily basis except I may eat a little more fat. I'm 5'5" and got down to 130 from 138 on my Whole30 in October. It doesn't make sense to eat SO much more (plus way higher fat) and lose weight but our bodies know better than our minds and it works!!! Have faith and be patient. The more you stress about it the more your body will hold on to the fat, so stop stressing and enjoy putting healthy food in your body!!

Rachael, I'm finding it wonderfully odd that my body is satiated with that amount of food to be honest as I was never eating that well in the past 10 + years. It is amazing what our body's know that is right for us but sometimes our minds are a little spun out that our body knows what to do! LOL So no more stressing about it. Just enjoying the moment!

I LOVE the freedom of no longer counting calories. My BODY is telling me how much to eat, not a preset number. I don't have the guilt associated with "Oh my gosh I am out of calories for the day but am still hungry." I also had days where I was not hungry, yet felt like I 'deserved" to eat all of those calories, so I added in discretionary calories, ie junk food. Does any of that make any sense?

Your list has whole foods. You did not list off fast food, french fries, soda, chips and crackers. You listed REAL food.

If you are eating, and are satiated, you are not feeling hungry, are getting plenty of water and sleep, let it go. Like Rachael said, stressing about it will only make it worse.

Sorry if I sound like I am yelling at you, but I feel so FREE by no longer calorie counting. I guess I just want others to feel that as well!

Hi kb0426 Thank you for your post too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea that my BODY wis telling me how much to eat, not a preset number. It is an odd feeling initially but just thinking about it now I get almost giddy that I do not have to succumb to the drama of WW points, this that or the other. It IS so freeing isn't it! :) I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it but it's the first time since I can remember that I haven't "snuck around" and had something I wasn't a vehicle for a better feeling me. It wasn't fast food, french fries, soda, chips and crackers. AND I did list REAL food. GO ME! :)

The adjustment to eating more food does mess with your mind a bit, like being in a fun house where everything looks unreal. It goes so much against the grain (ha!) of what we have learned in other "diets". That's one reason why I call this an eating plan rather than a diet.

Eat, drink, and be merry. :)

Hi Xandra, Thank you for your post. Yes it does mess with my mind adn go against the grain (love the pun :) ) There's no guilt involved with this and that's so amazingly freeing! :)

Hey Outback! Good to "see" you :)

One of the things I'm doing is taking pictures of my plates of food. That way, I can see that my portions have stayed the same or gotten smaller as I pursue eating this way. I think it's important. But I'm not measuring or using daily plate or calculating anything.

What you eat (or more importantly, what you don't eat) is vital for sustained weight loss. I really believe that one needs to shut down the starchy grain and legume based carbs and up the fat --in order to re-set one's insulin (and leptin) levels. That's what the whole30 does for you. It also re-trains your body to go to your fat stores to get energy--you don't have a ton of glucose in your system anymore, so the body can't use that for fuel.

I believe that 2000 calories of eating the whole30 way is handled by your body differently (once it is fat-adapted) than 2000 calories of a typical before whole 30 diet. I have no idea if there is scientific proof of this or not.

That said, I don't believe you can eat 3500 calories the whole 30 way, day after day and lose weight (unless you're some kind of super-athlete or something, though I may be wrong!). But I think it would be difficult to eat 3500 calories a day the whole 30 way--if you're not a super-athlete and listening to your body.

I have this wacko theory that by eating the whole30 way, your body will set itself at a healthier weight--you will eat what you need, and you will have the energy to exercise and maintain the activity levels your body needs to get there AS LONG AS you keep your stress levels down and get adequate sleep. Those latter two things can cause the body to hang on to its fat for dear life (Pregnancy, too, though I don't think that's an issue, lol!)

For me, the whole process comes down getting out of my head and listening to and getting in touch with my body(another benefit from eating the whole30 way-- I can drop the whole diet mentality.) --something I've been scared to do most of my life.

Anyway, these are just my own thoughts and may or may not be accurate. And I hope I made sense.

Hey Alana! :) You know me from some place else??? :D I don't think I could honestly eat 2000 of Whole30 foods when I was counting it was 800 to 1000! I think I would be so full I'd be rolling! I like your idea that the body will reset itself to a healthier body weight. I'm eagerly seeing where it will decide to fall.

This is getting exciting now :)

Thanks again all!

Archived