Help! I can't eat all the food!

Hello,

Sweet potatoes, various kinds of squash, salad fixings and green beans are pretty much my go to vegies. Should I limit my sweet potato intake? I've always thought of potatoes as "too many" carbohydrates.

I'm trying to limit FODMAP foods because of inflammation issues. So many of the vegies I used to love, cauliflower, asparagus, brocolli, and brussel sprouts amongothers are off my shopping list. 

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Just looking for some insight into why it's so hard for me to finish my meals. I'm following the meal template, and am finding it hard to finish my meals. I get so full, I can't take one more bite. I've cut back on my portions (still eating three meals a day) but I'm finding myself becoming hungry before my next scheduled meal. But, when I sit down to eat my next meal, I get full so fast, I can't finish my meal. 

For example, this morning I made scotch eggs (hardboiled eggs wrapped in sausage and baked). One serving was 1-1/2 eggs served with 1-1/2 cups of roased sweet potatoes and onions, with 3/4 cups of cut-up pineapple. Couldn't finish half the egg and about 1/3 cup of potatoes; finished the pineapple. Also, I was late in eating my breakfast this morning (woke up at 7:00am and ate at 10:30am).

Thanks for your feedback!

• Moderators

Hey there, I"ve combined both your posts as they're essentially talking about the same thing.

Starchy carbs are recommended to be a fist sized serving once a day to start, more if you're especially active, less if you have weight to lose.... so the way you've listed it, you've got squash and sweet potatoes at most meals?  Swap those out for other veggies... mushrooms, cauliflower, eggplant... widen your veggie horizons.

For the meal that you listed, thats probably more potato than needed and I don't see any fat... I personally couldn't eat more than one scotch egg, so maybe reduce that serving size, add fat, increase non starchy veg and leave the fruit off until you've got a better handle on eating a full meal... 

Thanks, SugarcubeOD, I will try your suggestions. The vegies are hard since I'm eliminating most FODMAPs. There are some I can't really eliminate like garlic, tomatoes and onions. Cooking would be no fun without those ingredients. I cook alot with animal fats and olive oil, is that not enough fats? I've been throwing in cold olives with whatever entree I'm having, but I usually do that at lunch and dinner. I've been making my own mayo and dressings so I include those as a fat depending on what I'm having. I used the mayo yesterday at lunch when I had salmon as a tartar sauce alternative.

Guess I'll eat more salads :-)

Thanks! 

• Moderators
22 hours ago, RBCali said:

Thanks, SugarcubeOD, I will try your suggestions. The vegies are hard since I'm eliminating most FODMAPs. There are some I can't really eliminate like garlic, tomatoes and onions. Cooking would be no fun without those ingredients. I cook alot with animal fats and olive oil, is that not enough fats? I've been throwing in cold olives with whatever entree I'm having, but I usually do that at lunch and dinner. I've been making my own mayo and dressings so I include those as a fat depending on what I'm having. I used the mayo yesterday at lunch when I had salmon as a tartar sauce alternative.

Guess I'll eat more salads :-)

Thanks! 

You probably want to add a fat or two in addition to what you cook with at each meal, unless you're making a point of being sure that you're pouring leftover cooking fat over the food once it's plated so you actually consume it, and making sure that when you cook multiple portions in a meal, the fat being divided up doesn't reduce it to much less than a serving. 

If you're going to do the FODMAP elimination it really would be worth your time to eliminate all of them -- any symptoms being caused by them will go away faster if you do that, but could continue to linger if you keep using any of them. For garlic, you can find garlic-infused olive oil to either cook with or use in salad dressings that will give you the flavor, and is okay to have on the no-FODMAP plan. For onions, switch to using the green parts of green onions or chives. Raw tomatoes are okay, but maybe it's time to find new sauces and recipes that don't involve cooked tomatoes for a while. On the plus side, if you do the elimination and find that FODMAPS are for sure causing problems for you, and you do careful reintroductions of the FODMAPS, you will probably find you can have some of them sometimes -- it's often a matter of dosage, not always a matter of strict avoidance forever.  If you haven't found it yet, this page has a handy chart for FODMAPS, and lists what part of the acronym each food is, so when you're doing reintroductions you can pay attention to that too -- it may be that one type of FODMAP, like polyols, are particularly bad for you, but other types cause fewer issues. You can also check out the AIP recipes on that site to get ideas for seasonings -- not all her recipes will be Whole30, but many should be, or should be easy to modify, or at least will give you ideas for new herbs to use for flavoring. You could also check out Melissa Joulwan's recap of the AIP Whole30 she did a few years back for recipe ideas. 

She hasn't been around the forum lately, but one of the other mods did a pretty extensive FODMAP elimination and reintroduction and talked about it in her personal log here -- you might or might not find it helpful. 

Archived