Whole 30 with Lyme Disease - is the autoimmune track necessary?

I am preparing to begin my first Whole 30 on September 1st. I just finished reading It Starts with Food and I am curious - if I have a history of Lyme Disease should I go the more restrictive, autoimmune route? I had undiagnosed Lyme for about 10 years and was treated for approximately 2 years, 10 years ago. I am now 31 and my symptoms are minor but still exist - brain fog, confusion, fatigue, trouble staying asleep, etc. I no longer have joint paint and my GI problems are under control. After doing some searching I am unsure if Lyme Disease is technically an autoimmune disease or if it triggers autoimmune responses. I also searched the forums and see mixed reviews on people with Lyme and their decision to take the autoimmune route. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Moderators
7 hours ago, jess.cellitti said:

I am preparing to begin my first Whole 30 on September 1st. I just finished reading It Starts with Food and I am curious - if I have a history of Lyme Disease should I go the more restrictive, autoimmune route? I had undiagnosed Lyme for about 10 years and was treated for approximately 2 years, 10 years ago. I am now 31 and my symptoms are minor but still exist - brain fog, confusion, fatigue, trouble staying asleep, etc. I no longer have joint paint and my GI problems are under control. After doing some searching I am unsure if Lyme Disease is technically an autoimmune disease or if it triggers autoimmune responses. I also searched the forums and see mixed reviews on people with Lyme and their decision to take the autoimmune route. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We really recommend that people start with the program as written and then see how they do.  Often the program removes enough inflammatory items that they see relief.  Then, if you're still feeling like you want to eliminate more items, you're already versed in the Whole30 and it's a bit easier even just in planning meals to figure out how to cook and eat.  The AIP is extremely restrictive and often people don't need that so I would recommend you start as regular and see how it goes :)  

Archived