Having knee replacement surgery and have to drink Ensure

Elmell

• Administrators

Is the purpose of the ensure to get adequate additional protein? Couldn't you just have an extra serving of protein? 

Doctor's orders trump Whole30 but I would be inclined to say on this one that no one can MAKE you drink a canned meal replacement. I would ask him if the only purpose is the easy protein and if so, just go the less "easy" route and eat more food.

I just had total knee replacements, one in March and one in June. The doctor recommended I eat more protein, not drink it. I was back to the gym in 5 weeks which he attributed to the way eat and the fact I exercise 5 days a week. I would ask the doctor why I couldn't just eat more protein. I'm 75.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's my opinion. I'm an RN and it might be heresy, but I never recommend Ensure or Boost to anyone. Terrible ingredients.

It's like... "don't even get me started on what I think about Ensure and Boost... grrrrrr..."

Extra protein is good for wound healing. How about some compliant jerky?  Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Chomps-Grass-Sticks-Whole30-Variety/dp/B0108MQVAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503691015&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=whole30+jerky&psc=1&smid=AR8XJJ19SNPNX 

Each stick has 9 grams of protein. 2 sticks and your'e already at 18 grams. 

Or, you could just eat one beef patty extra each day. 4oz has about 25G of protein, plus all the other benefits of real food.

Archived