Time on Whole30 Program

I know I shouldn't ask this question, but here goes:  I know that your system needs 72 hours to digest and fully get rid of a particular food you have eaten (my son had allergies as a child and I had to rotate his food every 3 days), so why is it necessary to stay on this program for a full 30 days?  This is not a program that can be easily done and I don't know why you wouldn't see benefits if you stayed on it only 2 or 3 weeks.  Why does it have to be 30 days?

I'd recommend reading "It Starts With Food" if you haven't already.  I'm not sure that your 72 hours is accurate across all experiences....I know I personally feel the effects of a gluten exposure for much longer than that.

And I have to disagree that the program is not easily done.  It may take work, but it's not that hard.

And, from a Facebook post on the Whole30 (https://www.facebook.com/Whole30/posts/818972684846318Why 30 days?)

Despite the common belief that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit, habit research actually shows the time frame is much longer--on average, 66 days! And the harder or more emotional connection you have to the behavior, the longer it takes... so when it comes to food, that time frame may even be longer.

We could have created a Whole66 or a Whole90 to make sure the new habits you're building with the program settle in, but that's a pretty high barrier to entry. The Whole30 rules can be intimidating! Many of you would look at the program and think, I can't do that for two or three months.

We could have created a Whole10 or Whole14, to make it really accessible. Lots of people would say, "Yeah, I can do that!" But for those of you who have done the Whole30, how much fun are your first 10 days on the program? That time frame wouldn't bring most of you any of the Whole30 "magic," but it sure would give you some unpleasant effects as your body transitioned.

The Whole30 is just right--totally accessible (I can do anything for 30 days!), while long enough to bring stunning benefits in energy, sleep, mood, medical conditions, cravings, and self-esteem.

- Melissa Hartwig, co-creator of the #Whole30

• Moderators
4 hours ago, val32549 said:

I know I shouldn't ask this question, but here goes:  I know that your system needs 72 hours to digest and fully get rid of a particular food you have eaten (my son had allergies as a child and I had to rotate his food every 3 days), so why is it necessary to stay on this program for a full 30 days?  This is not a program that can be easily done and I don't know why you wouldn't see benefits if you stayed on it only 2 or 3 weeks.  Why does it have to be 30 days?

In addition to the article linked and copied below, don't forget that sure, the food item might leave your system in 72 hours, but what it was doing while it was in there is really the problem... just like, say if you got a rash from a new laundry detergent... you stop using the laundry detergent, thus removing the item from your system but the damage is done and now your body has to heal the rash... the longer you continue to expose yourself to the laundry detergent, the worse the rash gets and the longer the healing takes... 

Also, you 'should' ask any question you have, that's what we're here for :)  People who are seeking information with an open heart and mind to learn about the program and how food affects their bodies are always welcome to ask questions about the program and engage in dialogue ;)  

Archived