I've got a bad cold and all I want is beer and cookies

Noboru

I was so good. I did the Whole30 and didn't even feel tempted by what I'd given up (aside from the social aspects of eating and the rather uncushioned moods brought about by maybe not enough carbs). I thought I'd be fine off the regime.

Then I got floored, barely a few days after finishing, by a double whammy of really brutal fevered chest cold/head cold AND my period and I can barely drag myself out of bed to go to work (finally stayed home today, too sick). And food? All I want are the oatmeal cookies my friend sent me from Ireland for my birthday back in September (yes, they stayed intact in my cupboard that long). I've tried to eat real food- home made kofte, marinara sauce, sauteed veggies, etc-- but my appetite is meh. I've been having 4-5 cookies a day since Saturday. At night, instead of having a cup of tea as I'd done for the Whole 30, all I want is a nice bottle of microbrewed beer. I'm hoping that this is because I feel so crappy and am in a hormonal flux. I'm not usually like this and it's disturbing.

I guess I'm not looking for advice, just a slight pep talk.

It sucks when we're ill and you've done what you had to do to get through it. don't beat yourself up about that - guilt never improved any situation. However, you know yourself, the only way to stop feeling crappy is to get back to healthy eating. If you're body's been sick it needs really good nutrition to help it recover. I've always found soups to be really good in situations like that. I know that can be difficult if you don't have any on hand and the last thing you feel like is standing cooking. I try to keep a few portions in the freezer for emergencies.

I don't know what's available where you are, so I'm not going to make suggestions but take a moment and think of the easiest healthy meals you can make or throw together. Start there and work your way back (baby steps if you have to) to eating healthy. Your body really will thank you for it.

• Moderators

I remember the first time I got sick after adopting the Whole30 way of eating. All I wanted was saltine crackers and ginger ale. A year later when I got sick, I wanted what had become comfort food for me... chicken and cauliflower stewed in coconut milk with curry spices and mild green chilies. Not as easy as crackers and soda, but my tastes had changed. It takes time. Hang in there.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the support! Just to update you on my sanity, I'm doing better today on all fronts, though still a bit knocked out from the never ending cold. No cookies yet, and it's after 3pm! A big pot of homemade spicy Thai curry chicken soup is burbling away on the stove top, full of tons of fresh veggies from the market. Will add a bit of coconut milk later, for comfort.

I think this is an interesting thread because I struggle with the same thing myself. I was sick with the stomach flu for a couple of days and (even with the flu) craved chocolate and cookies and anything with wheat and sugar. I realized that in the past I have medicated myself with food when I feel sick. I feel like crap, I know that sugar makes me (temporarily) feel better so I binge. This time around I didn't do it. And I realized that I wasn't even really hungry for good paleo food. It was a learning experience for me to just let myself feel like shit and not try to use food to feel better.

Anyway, hope you are feeling better and on top of those cravings!

Archived