Help me with steak!

Solo24

I am 37 and have never ever made a good steak. I need intervention!

What do I buy? (both splurge cuts and everyday cuts)

How do I cook it?! (grilling's mostly out. Our grill is homely and I refuse to mess with it.)

thx!

Sarah

I never really cooked steak before, either, only chuck roast and ground beef. Here's what I have so far for steak:

- heat your pan or grill on high heat

- after the pan heats, sear the meat on both sides for just a few minutes each side (time depends on how you like it cooked)

- remove the meat from the heat and let it rest for another few minutes to finish cooking

Also, take your steak out of the fridge about 30-45 minutes before you cook it. If you don't, it's too shocking and won't cook evenly. Letting it sit about 5 minutes after cooking allows the juices to redistribute through the steak so you don't loose them all on the plate. Much jucier that way.

Good steaks to pan fry are:

Rib Eye: fairly fatty, juicy and tender

NY Strip: Not quite as fatty, but very flavorful

Sirloin: Very Very tasty and fairly lean. Be careful not to over cook. (they have prime grade sirloins at Costco..excellent steaks)

Tenderloin (also knows as Filet Mignon): extremely tender and not as beefy tasting as the others. Also very expensive.

Here's another good method....take the steak out of fridge 30-45 minutes before cooking as suggested above. Put a cast iron skillet in your oven and set to 500. When it reaches temperature, carefully remove to stove top, pat your steak dry with paper towels (failing to do this will make your steak steam in the skillet instead of sear) and rub with coconut oil, then sear your steak on high for about 1 minute each side (flip with tongs as a fork will pierce it). I suggest opening windows and taking down your smoke detector. Then put the skillet back in the oven to finish cooking the steak for about 3-5 minutes for medium rare, longer for more well-done. You can learn to tell the doneness of a steak by pressing it with a finger or timing it based on thickness but I'm not opposed to using a meat thermometer when you're just starting out. It will help you get it done perfectly without the hassle of cutting it open and finding you still have a raw steak. When you take it out of the oven cover with foil for 10 minutes as was suggested above. It will continue cooking a bit and if you cut it while searing hot the juices will run out. I sprinkle with salt after cooking. If you do it before, it pulls moisture out of the steak which can dry it and also creates steam which you don't want.

You can top it with some ghee or some ghee with roasted garlic or eat as is. I love pairing steak with mashed cauliflower or mashed sweet potatoes.

I just had the yummiest rib-eye steak for dinner. Rubbed with oil salt & pepper and then in a hot cast iron griddle pan for 4 mins each side, rested for 6 mins. While it was resting I fried onions and mushrooms in the pan it had been cooked in & then poured back in the juices...nyom.

The nyomp of fat in the middle was delish.

before pic -

550092_10151230393278666_1653975976_n.jpg

I really recommend getting "Long Way on a Little" by Shannon Hayes. It's great for how to cook every cut of meat from all sorts of pastured animals and how to save a lot of money in doing so.

Her method is to start with dry, room-temperature meat. Pan-sear the steak over a high flame in a cast-iron, or other oven-proof, pan. Just a minute or two on each side. Then put it in a 200-225 degree oven and finish to medium-rare. Works beautifully in my experience!

Johnny M, I am drooling all over my iPad right now! That is my preferred method for cooking steaks when it's bad grilling weather. It produces THE most lovely crust on the outside with all the beefy, juicy goodness trapped inside. But, yes, my smoke detector has been on a shelf for ages...

Jeepifer, if you truly mean "very rare", you may be able to skip the return to the oven. It depends on how thick your steak is. I would think that if it's about 1" thick and you do indeed let it sit out for 45 min or so, you'd be fine with just the searing. If your steak is 1 1/2" or more, I'd consider tossing it back in for a minute. Seeing as the oven is already heated to 500, it's really no big deal to slide that bad boy in again. I'd love to know how this works out for you if you give it a try.

Update: I had 4 steaks, about 1" thick. Brought to room temp and seasoned with garlic salt and pepper.

Preheated cast iron skillet with oven at 500, took out the pan and put in two steaks for about 1 min each side. Then back in the oven for 2:00.

Moved first steaks to rest while cooking 2nd batch. Added sea salt after cooking.

Results??? Beautiful!!! And very yummy! Wasn't as difficult as I'd envisioned, and I have plenty of cooked cow for lunches.

Well, I did, until my (growing) 8-year old mowed through an entire steak!! She's probably going to grow 2" overnight. :)

Archived