Whole30 Compliant Salami

kirbz

Has anyone found a compliant salami? I love salami but I haven't had any luck finding a compliant version and my search of Google and the forum didn't yield any results. I feel like I've heard people mention them though... 

I'd appreciate any help you could provide! Thanks!

• Moderators

Not sure but Applegate Farms might have a compliant version - nope, they don't. Generally I can only find prosciutto and pancetta that is compliant.

I'd try online (maybe the Thrive market?) or in fancy grocery stores like Whole Foods and start reading ingredients lists. Good luck and let us know if you do find one!

The applegate uncured genoa salami and the sopresseta have dextrose and wine.

Boar's head has a line of cured meats that are specifically no sugar added. They have a beef salami in that line. That's the only one I've ever seen at the grocery store.

A local butcher/charcuterie shop might have some they've made themselves. There's one here that recently started making some cured meats without any sugar added.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Even though I don't eat salami while I'm W30-ing because those are the rules, I don't think it's any different from kombucha. I don't know about mass-produced products but hand-made, artisanal salami (which I have made) has a very small amount of dextrose added to feed the lactobacilli that give salami its characteristic tang. It ages for quite a long time so the sugar is consumed as the lactobacilli do their thing. I realize that, as far as the rules go, it would be impossible to say THIS salami is compliant but THESE are not. Moderators????

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, hollysmokes said:

Even though I don't eat salami while I'm W30-ing because those are the rules, I don't think it's any different from kombucha. I don't know about mass-produced products but hand-made, artisanal salami (which I have made) has a very small amount of dextrose added to feed the lactobacilli that give salami its characteristic tang. It ages for quite a long time so the sugar is consumed as the lactobacilli do their thing. I realize that, as far as the rules go, it would be impossible to say THIS salami is compliant but THESE are not. Moderators????

Unfortunately no, nothing with sugar listed in the ingredients. We can't know for SURE that sugar wasn't also added after the fact so no, if there is sugar in the ingredients it would not be compliant. The reason we say yes on kombucha is only if sugar is not listed in the ingredients, which means that it's been consumed by the scoby and no longer exists.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived