Japanese Restaurant?

AmyS

Howdy folks, new poster, been lurking for a while.

I did my first Whole30 from Sept. 23-Oct. 23, and have continued in a sort of Whole30-ish fashion since. I haven't done any particular strategy for reintroduction of foods, because I liked eating Whole30 enough that I decided I wanted to make it the basis for my diet from now on, if that makes sense.

At the same time, I've been eating/drinking things that aren't Whole30 when visiting family and friends, out to eat, that sort of thing. For the most part that has gone reasonably well. The best part about doing Whole30 was that it showed me the difference between a sugar crash and the actual feeling of hunger. So that helped me make the best choices available to me in any given non-Whole30 eating situation.

On Wednesday I'm going to eat at a Japanese restaurant with family. This is a place that is famous for tempura and other fried dishes, and of course the basic seasoning for sauces and dips will be soy and sugar.

I'm curious about what you'd recommend I, err, aim for, to keep my meal as Whole30 as possible. I've discovered that both sugar and soy make me uncomfortable, and the feeling of bloating and mental fog last for a while afterwards.

Beyond sashimi, anything you recommend from experience? Thanks!

You can bring in some coconut aminos in a small container and just tell everyone you've developed a soy allergy. You are right that most sauces likely have sugar and soy. Maybe stick to basic rolls with white rice? White rice is a fairly innocent carb and while it's not good as a staple in a diet it's one of the things i cut myself slack on every other week or so, especially if I've been working out a lot.

Thanks folks! I thought I had subscribed to get notifications in my email when y'all replied, but I guess I didn't. And woah did I miss out! Johnny, your story must go into your memoirs. An entire chapter on the subject would be appropriate. :D

I hadn't thought about going for the white rice, since it's something I usually avoid (even when not doing Whole30) - just out of disinterest. Heh. But yeah, if I got some sashimi and some white rice I could have a nice meal, with some salad on the side (this place serves fresh local greens with every meal). I'll just ask for the salad undressed.

Yum! Dinner tonight! I need to locate and purchase and try out some coconut aminos. I never heard of them until I read the forums (fora?) Now I know how to use them, and how NOT to transport them. :P Life is good.

I'm back to report success! First of all, I did get the chance to purchase my first bottle of coconut aminos (pause for reverent silence), but I didn't take them in with me to the restaurant. I'm not there yet. Ha!

Second, I ordered the sashimi dinner which includes lots of veggies, and I ordered the salad with no dressing and asked for lemons to squeeze over the salad. This was where I kind of regretted not bringing in the coconut aminos. I had wasabi but no soy sauce to mix it with of course (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, so I try not to do too much soy), and I didn't have the coconut aminos as a sub. So anyway, I just ate teeeeeny bits of wasabi with each piece of sashimi. The lettuce salad was enormous and filling. I didn't eat the rice (I feel bad saying this in Hawaii, but I just couldn't muster the interest).

I might or might not have come home to snack on some pistachios and later some chicken apple sausage. I know, I know, but I ate a ton of salad at the restauarant. Promise.

It was good, and I didn't have the familiar feeling of my face and knuckles swelling up from the soy in the miso soup and the soy sauce in the salad dressing and the wasabi/soy dip for the sashimi. Two thumbs up for tasty, fresh food.

Funny thing is, when I eat out it's generally a family dinner including my ex (with whom I get along great, by the way). He's vegetarian leaning toward vegan, so he gets the stranger looks from family members. I eat meat so they don't notice that I skip the rice. heh. He's my fall guy. snort

Awesome job Amy! Next time, take your aminos and then you can make the decision about having the nerve to bust them out of your purse or not.

Funny story about your ex. :)

Yeah, I am kind of bummed that I tossed a couple of used spice jars the other day. I totally could have used one to carry coconut aminos around.

The ex is a great fall guy. Haha

Hi there,I think you can try there Miso Soup.It is made from fermented soybeans, which means that every bowl brings a wholesome serving of isoflavones. I hope I have help you.

Soy is a huge no no on this plan. Have you read the book "It Starts With Food"? It was written by Melissa and Dallas the founders and head honchos of Whole 30.

Soy is a huge no no on this plan. Have you read the book "It Starts With Food"? It was written by Melissa and Dallas the founders and head honchos of Whole 30.

Based on her other posts, which recommended stevia and different types of light mayonnaise, I highly doubt she did...

the posts seem contextually relevant...even if off base so let me check with the other mods on how to handle.

I get that - it's not just words randomly strung together with bizarre links stuck in the middle of them. But the pattern of mis-spelling, poor grammar, and utterly strange suggestions prompted my note to the mods. Thanks for looking into it.

• 1 year later...

Archived