Easy Roasted Chicken

gboyum

My husband makes this amazing and super easy chicken recipe, it has served me well through the Whole 30. You will need a roasting pan with a rack. The recipe calls for potatoes, but I substituted rutabagas during my Whole 30. Preheat the oven to 450. Grease the bottom of the roasting pan with a little olive oil. Peel the rutabagas and slice them about 1/4" thick, place the slices in the bottom of the roasting pan in one layer. Place the rack over the rutabagas. Butterfly one whole chicken (we raise organic pastured chickens and thats what we eat) and place breast up on the rack. Brush the chicken with a little oil and season, we used salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika. Place in the oven and back for about 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165. The fat from the chicken drips into the bottom of the pan and the rutabagas or potatoes just soak it up. When the chicken is done remove it from the pan to a platter and let rest for about 5-10 minutes, while the chicken is resting place the rutabagas back in the oven, until they start to really brown and caramelize. Thats it! It is soooo good.

Yum. I do that often on my grill but never thought to roast one in the oven like that. I think I will try it with turnips and carrots. And..you lucky duck with your chickens and their eggs. I have to pay an arm and a leg for them at Kookoolan farms.

• 4 months later...

Think sweet potatoes would work in place of the potatoes?

sweet potatoes are yummy roasted int he chicken juices - I do my whole dinner in the one pan - cauliflower & sweet potaoes with the chicken on top.

Archived