Post Whole30 Coffee and heavy cream vs 2%?

MingoNW

I've seen some comments in paleo blogs about coffee and butter, and have also heard talk from friends about coffee with heavy cream being better than half and half or lower fat more lactose heavy milk. Does anybody have any advice on this? I haven't been able to find any writing about it. Anybody got any links as to why this might be better, or not at all?

Coconut milk is not working for me with coffee, and I know I won't be able to give up coffee with milk/cream entirely for the long run, at least not at this point. Black coffee is okay, but very hit or miss as far as what is drinkable.

• Moderators

If you want to include dairy with your coffee, you should use whatever will make your coffee experience most enjoyable.

One of the things I like about the Whole9 is the absence of worrying about what is the "less bad" option. Food either makes you more healthy or less healthy. If you want to eat foods that make you less healthy, enjoy it and don't worry about which option might be less bad. In fact, if you don't enjoy it, the whole thing has been a waste.

I do heavy cream in my coffee, have the occasional slice of extra sharp cheddar--yum! Although I could eat a block of Dubliner so I don't keep it in the house--and a spoonful of full fat greek yogurt from time to time. That is my 20 month old son's favorite breakfast and sometimes Mommy has to have a taste. But other than that, I don't do low fat/non fat dairy myself. It throws my blood sugar completely out of wack--I am a type 1 Diabetic--so I follow the higher fat/lower carb view on dairy. Just personal experience for me.

The butter thing that you're referring to is often called "Bulletproof" coffee. It's (unsalted) grass-fed butter and MCT or coconut oil blended in with the coffee. I don't drink coffee so have never had it, but supposedly it's really good at making you full and giving you lots of good fats to start your day (both in the grass-fed butter and in the oil). From what I've read, butter is pretty good in terms of your dairy options, since it's very low in lactose.

• 2 weeks later...

Bulletproof coffee is THE BEST, but I use grass-fed ghee instead of butter and coconut oil instead of a supplement store MCT oil.

If you try it, make sure to blend it thoroughly! One time, in a pinch, I tried to make it in a martini shaker and ended up with a disgusting pile of oil on top of my coffee! Bleh! :)

Nicole M, MCT means "medium-chain triglycerides". It's a good type of fatty acid which is easy for the body to use. There's a lot of it in coconut oil. MCT oil is simply just MCT by itself--I've never had the oil, but I've been told it has little-to-no flavor.

As for the Bulletproof coffee, check out this blog post for instructions: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Archived