Becca's Whole30/til Xmas - My fight for a 6-pack :)

paleocrossfitter3

I also just read through your log... you're doing great, both with food and with your workouts. Where do you WOD?

Keep up the good work, your breakfasts do sound yummy... might have to steal them B)

I workout at my crossfit gym in Chicago. I have a weird situation where we (my bf and I) are very close with the owners/coaches and we work out with them often on 'off-hours'. We all went to regionals as a team together last year, so its nice to work out together with people that challenge you. We do a lot more power-lifting/heavy lifting and then a WOD most days, as well. I would say I focus a lot more on strength though.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read through your whole log and I want to offer up congrats for your hard work so far and the fact that you have been able to identify certain things like Sundays being more difficult for you than other days. I'm on day 10 and I also fare better with a routine so I usually eat the same thing for breakfasts too.

How is the progress on the abs? I too want abs but I have almost all but given up hope. Even at my lightest (admittedly not my healthiest) I still never saw a hint of an ab. I know they are there but just forever buried.

I sadly have to report that I'm not sure I would ever get abs either, at least not full on abs unless I literally didn't eat a bad thing for 6 months straight. I have a hint of them, which I think is due to my training (very-strength oriented), but not a 6-pack yet.

I find that if I tried to do a 6-month or year long stint where I didn't drink or eat anything bad at all, I would be a lot more miserable than I am with a tiny bit of extra fat over my abs. I am still strong, I still perform really well in my workouts, but maybe its just not meant to be for me....

I workout at my crossfit gym in Chicago. I have a weird situation where we (my bf and I) are very close with the owners/coaches and we work out with them often on 'off-hours'. We all went to regionals as a team together last year, so its nice to work out together with people that challenge you. We do a lot more power-lifting/heavy lifting and then a WOD most days, as well. I would say I focus a lot more on strength though.

We do a lot of strength stuff, as well. I have accepted the fact that I will not be going to regionals or any other competitions, really.... I have too many old, lingering injuries that hinder my progress. So, I am just working out to be healthy and look good naked B) So a lot of times, I scale to still work on some intensity. I can do it if I go heavier, but then I feel like I have gotten nothing accomplished because it takes me 20 minutes to do 3 clean and jerks because it is 10 lbs below my 1RM, lol. It's all good, though. A year ago, I couldn't clean the women's bar or do a pull up without a band... so I'll take my progress.

So Day 14:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with ground turkey thigh, fresh pico de gallo, and 1/2 avocado. Coffee with coconut milk

I snacked on sunbutter in between breakfast and lunch. I need to work on this!!! There wasn't much left in the can and its gone now, so I'm not buying anymore and hopefully won't have this problem next weekend too.

I guess nut butters, and nuts, in general, are a trigger for me...once I start...I cannot seem to stop eating them. They for sure hinder my results; and during my first w30 when I cut them out the final week...I saw some huge changes...

This go round..I have limited myself with the nuts; and nut butters. I did, however, purchase some items from a friend who was not able to make it through a 30...and one of the items was sunbutter. I try to limit to 1 tbs in the mornings pre-wo...but I find myself dipping the spoon too often...it was 1/2 jar...and now down to about 1/4 cup...so it's almost gone...I will miss it...but I know I see better results when I don't splurge on the nuts.

As far as abs...I have wanted to see them for so many years...now I KNOW I have them ... they are there...I can feel them...and I can see a bit of the line on either side of my torso...but they are STILL covered. I am planning to make this a w60 or w90...and I am hoping to finally find them...and keep them. :)

I think six packs are largely genetic.. Their visibility any way... I show muscle definition pretty easily. I always joke i can be fat with muscles or thin with muscles.... After whole30 my body fat is just under 22 % again, which is not particularly low. I don't do cross fit, just some running, boxing, yoga, Pilates and some mild boot camp or interval classes. My abs are pretty defined.. Not super star model level of course.. But the interesting thing was I allowed my daughter to take a photo of me in bathers for a school project a month ago when I was 7lbs heavier and when she showed me the photo she said mum see you can see your six pack..... Hmmm

I think 6-packs are sadly genetic as well. I have lots of friends that don't eat clean, don't really exercise much and have better stomachs than I do. I've done 3 Whole30's, I eat 85% Whole30 compliant even when I'm not on a Whole30 and I am training for at least an hour per day for 5-6 days a week. Strength based training especially, which I know tends to lean you out even more so than cardio.

I just must not be destined for them :( I've become more and more okay with that fact though. I've lost close to 40 pounds since I've started crossfit/paleo and I am very happy with that. If I can, I'll try and post some pictures when I'm done with this Whole30 to show me 2 years ago, at the beginning of this Whole30, and at the end.

I guess nut butters, and nuts, in general, are a trigger for me...once I start...I cannot seem to stop eating them. They for sure hinder my results; and during my first w30 when I cut them out the final week...I saw some huge changes...

This go round..I have limited myself with the nuts; and nut butters. I did, however, purchase some items from a friend who was not able to make it through a 30...and one of the items was sunbutter. I try to limit to 1 tbs in the mornings pre-wo...but I find myself dipping the spoon too often...it was 1/2 jar...and now down to about 1/4 cup...so it's almost gone...I will miss it...but I know I see better results when I don't splurge on the nuts.

As far as abs...I have wanted to see them for so many years...now I KNOW I have them ... they are there...I can feel them...and I can see a bit of the line on either side of my torso...but they are STILL covered. I am planning to make this a w60 or w90...and I am hoping to finally find them...and keep them. :)

I don't know if a 6-pack is in my future, but we'll see....

And I think I felt bloated this morning because the over-dose of nuts I ate yesterday. I had sunbutter in the morning and I also had a handful of cashews on my salad that afternoon. Maybe I'll go ahead and get rid of nuts/nutbutters for the rest of the Whole30. I don't think it would be too hard for me. I don't eat them that often anyways.

DARN OLD GENETICS! Looks like I might have to give up on my dream of abs as I am already at a lower body fat % than Juzbo and still nadda. I have also lost a decent amount of weight (about 30lbs) since September (thank you yoga). I am just glad to be back to a healthier weight and to have lost all my baby weight from 2 babies born very close together in the past 3 years.

I am healthier than I ever have been and I think that reframing what is important (it might not be abs) is helping me to love myself more wholly. I really didn't expect all the mental changes from this Whole30 but I am really loving them and for me the Whole30 is just continuing on the path of improving myself mentally and physically which all stemmed from me admitting that I needed to talk to sit down and talk with someone (a psychologist). Without that first step in the summer I never would have had the courage to do a Whole30...I know because my friend sent me the whole9 link in the summer and I called her crazypants!

I agree, I think the Whole30 is way more than just trying to lose weight and look better naked. I am so impressed that after 2 children, you've lost all that baby weight. That is a really hard thing to overcome, not that I know from experience, but so many of my friends have struggled with that problem and found themselves in a downwards spiral of weight gain that they never end up losing. So kudos to you!

My situation is sad, I've never had kids, I'm only 24 and I have been an athlete my entire life. Played two college sports and am now a fairly competitive crossfitter and I STILL don't have close to the abs I've always dreamt of. A life-long goal of mine is to go running in a sports bra and not scare off little children with the jiggle going on. Who knows if that day will ever come...

Anyways!! On a lighter note, half-way done with the Whole30!! :)

Today went by well, as work days normally do. Mondays are always hard for me because, until I move in with my boyfriend in February, I only see him on the weekends and Monday nights are when I go back home, have to do all my grocery shopping and food prep for the week and normally ends up being a late night. BUT thats okay, its all over and I'm ready for a good week!

Day 15:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with ground turkey sausage, fresh pico de gallo, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Spinach salad with full chicken breast, 1/2 avocado, olive oil and balsamic dressing. I had about a cup worth of leftover roasted sweet potato, brussel sprouts, and apples in cinnamon (sooo good and so simple)

Workout was at 5:30 - Did max effort lower body, followed by some more lower body accessory work. And also a 10 minute cardio workout with rowing, wall balls, and toes to bar.

Post-Wod: 1/2 small sweet potato and 1/2 small chicken breast

Dinner: Ground beef, mushrooms, onions, and peppers all sauteed with marinara and tomato paste. Yumm

Also sipped on some Kombucha, which I consider my 'treat' during the whole30. Not because it satisfies a bad craving, but because its so DARN expensive and I will not be buying it as regularly after the Whole30.

Okay, sleep well everyone! Day 16 tomorrow!

So I finished Day 16 and I'm on to day 17 tomorrow! I feel pretty good, my workouts have been hard, but that might just be because they're never going to be easy. I can't expect that eating Whole30 is magically going to make me not tired during workouts. I did feel a little bloated/gassy today. I'm not sure if thats from the Kombucha or what, but can't say I liked it too much.

I'm worrying about a couple of things coming up this week. I have a end of the year holiday party for an area I work in. It is at a bar in downtown Chicago, I saw the menu and its all finger-food which I won't be able to eat and an open bar. I'm going to have to bring in some carrots and go eat them in the bathroom or something :( and sip on club soda. Its from 3pm til whenever, so I might just eat a chicken breast before I go in and then leave around 7 or so and get home and have something small.

Also, we are having our gym's holiday party this Saturday. Its always hard when the people who eat like you do and work out like you do are eating yummy (bad) things and drinking yummy (bad) things. It almost makes it feel more okay for me to do it, but I WONT! I'm going to bring some Kombucha to sip on and its a paleo potluck, so I'm sure there will be things I can eat, including what I will bring. So I think I can be strong.

Today was good, Day 16 in the books:

Breakfast - 2 eggs with brussel sprouts, red pepper and onion. Ground turkey thigh sausage, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana and coffee with coconut milk.

Before lunch I sipped on some Kombucha

Lunch: 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon, spinach salad with onions and pepper, 1 full chicken breast, 1/2 avocado, and olive oil/balsamic dressing.

Workout - 5:30 did some shoulder rehab, weighted lunges, and then a rowing/man-maker workout. It was tough.

Post-Workout: 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon and 1/2 small chicken breast

Dinner: Stuffed poblano peppers (stuffed with 1/3 lb of ground beef, onion, green chiles, and tomato paste) so yummy! One of my go-to dinners.

Well thats all for now!! Wish me luck on Thursday, but I'm sure I'll be back on here to tell ya about it. Hopefully its a good post!

Heya my names Sarah, just thought I would introduce myself. Looks like you are doing really well on your whole30! I just read this last post and I also have a Christmas work do coming up... I haven't even looked at the menu yet, but I'm sure I won't be able to have anything either! It know it's kinda sad, but it makes me feel a little better to know im not gunna be the only one in this situation!!!And that i'm not the only youngster on here... I see your 24, im 22 :) hope you have a good sleep anyway xx

I have a work dinner this Friday. I am having the gluten free banquet without the rice or ice cream... Am hoping I can avoid soy too my plan is to sort of eat before hand and then pick if I think it's sfe. Since I am post 30 it's not so critical but I don't want to get sick and muck up my reintroduction....

Heya my names Sarah, just thought I would introduce myself. Looks like you are doing really well on your whole30! I just read this last post and I also have a Christmas work do coming up... I haven't even looked at the menu yet, but I'm sure I won't be able to have anything either! It know it's kinda sad, but it makes me feel a little better to know im not gunna be the only one in this situation!!!And that i'm not the only youngster on here... I see your 24, im 22 :) hope you have a good sleep anyway xx

Hey! I promise you are not the only one! I'm a little worried about it tomorrow but moreso because of the comments people will make rather than the not eating part of it. People just seem to get so angry or take it personally in my experience. Just be strong and I promise you'll always be glad you did!

And I'm glad there is another young person doing the Whole30! I feel like we are definitely the minority! Keep it up!

I have a work dinner this Friday. I am having the gluten free banquet without the rice or ice cream... Am hoping I can avoid soy too my plan is to sort of eat before hand and then pick if I think it's sfe. Since I am post 30 it's not so critical but I don't want to get sick and muck up my reintroduction....

At least they are providing a gluten free option! I will be surrounded by quesadillas, sliders, wings, cheese dip, and more bar food! I'm just going to have to not eat!

I'm 30 but does it count that I have felt permanently stuck at 15 in my head? And 30 is the new 20 dontcha gals know? :D

Stay strong at all the events and functions that y'all have coming up...hard boiled eggs in the purse anyone?

haha yeah im more worried about what everyone will say too. seriously the people at my work notice everything. if i gain or lose 1kg they even notice!!! i have been told im getting fat ass one day and oh your looking slim a week later... and the most recent comment was oh your not eating much at work anymore are you on a diet... well the only food supplied at work is muffins ommmg!!

I'm 30 but does it count that I have felt permanently stuck at 15 in my head? And 30 is the new 20 dontcha gals know? :D

Stay strong at all the events and functions that y'all have coming up...hard boiled eggs in the purse anyone?

Oh I will have carrots and 1/2 a chicken breast in the purse. Hopefully no one notices the loud crunching on my carrots as I pull them out one by one :)

And I hope I have the motivation at 30 to do a couple whole30's again. At that point, my future children might drain all the discipline out of me. Hopefully not though!

haha yeah im more worried about what everyone will say too. seriously the people at my work notice everything. if i gain or lose 1kg they even notice!!! i have been told im getting fat ass one day and oh your looking slim a week later... and the most recent comment was oh your not eating much at work anymore are you on a diet... well the only food supplied at work is muffins ommmg!!

Oh wow!! Your work sounds like people do not hold back what they say! Everyone knows me at my work as the 'crazy girl' who only eats rabbit food. Just because I don't dive into the candy drawers and cookies every time someone brings them in. Keep strong, and I'll try and think of you tonight to remember I"m not the only one saying no to cheese quesadillas, chicken wings, and beer! I"ll be glad I do tomorrow!

So I wasn't able to post last night since my internet was down, but day 17 went by really well. I had a holiday lunch party, but was able to order what I wanted off the menu and I think it was pretty much whole30 compliant, unless they roasted the veggies in something weird. Either way, I think day 17 was a success :)

Day 17:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with brussel sprouts, red pepper, and onion. 2 small ground turkey sausages, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana, coffee with coconut milk.

Sipped on some kombucha before lunch.

Lunch: Wood roasted veggies on a spinach salad with grilled chicken. I asked for the restaurant to bring me olive oil and balsamic vinegar separate so I could dress the salad myself (I figured their balsamic vinaigrette had some weird ingredients I didn't want to test it out).

Workout: Shoulder rehab (its still bothering me), then a push-ups, kettlebell swings, double under workout. Followed by some upper body strengthening and ab work.

Post-WOD: 1/2 small chicken breast and 1/2 small sweet potato with cinnamon

Dinner: 1 full chicken breast with mustard, sauteed brussel sprouts and mushrooms and 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon.

After dinner I had a couple of pecans.

Onto day 18 and its going well so far....tonight will be a true test! I'm too far in though to screw up now I think...

I made it through last night!!! I felt a little bloated by the end of the night because I had 3 club sodas throughout the 3 hours I was there, but I made it. I had some emergency food in my purse, so it probably wasn't the most nutritional whole30 day but it was a whole30 day nonetheless. My boyfriend enjoyed the open bar and yummy buffet, and I explained myself to most people throughout the night because everyone asked and most people seemed confused, but thats okay.

So Day 18:

Breakfast: eggs scrambled with brussel sprouts, green pepper, onion, and ground turkey thigh. 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana, coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: spinach salad, a few raw carrots, leftover brussel sprout/mushroom saute, 1 full chicken breast, 1/2 avocado, olive oil/balsamic dressing.

Snack/Dinner: Before I went into the event at 4:30, I ate 1/2 a chicken breast. At the event, they had some raw peppers for the hummus dip. So I had a bunch of red and yellow pepper slices, the other half of my chicken breast, a small ziplock bag of carrots, and a bag of roasted almonds which I brought in my purse :)

That was pretty much my dinner too. We left the event at 7ish, went home. My boyfriend ordered a pizza, which he ate the entire thing (I hate how men can still have a 6-pack when doing crap like that). I sipped on half a bottle of kombucha, and wanted to eat something for 'dinner', but wasn't hungry since I basically ate an early dinner at the party. So I with-held from eating anymore.

And my boyfriend was complaining the rest of the night how full/sick he felt from the pizza. I, on the other hand, was feeling pretty good! Although I did want that pizza at the time, I'm glad this morning that I didn't give into any of it last night.

I think the rest of this whole30 will work out just fine!!! I'm excited, last night was the big test and I made it :D

Day 19 today!!! Keep truckin everyone!

So I know I haven't posted yet for yesterday, but it went fine. Day 19 was pretty easy and standard. I'm preparing for tonight, which will be my gym's holiday party, which I made a whole30 approved paleo stuffing for. If anything, I'll just eat that and I am bringing a bottle of kombucha to sip on. But anyways....

Day 19:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with ground turkey thigh, 1/2 avocado, fresh pico de galo, 1 small banana and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon, spinach salad with 1 full chicken breast, 1/2 avocado, and olive oil/balsamic dressing.

Snack: I broke down and ate a LarBar. I know these are not encouraged, and I checked the ingredients to make sure they were okay and whole30. I was so hungry at work and hadn't brought a snack and had a workout, which I wasn't home for dinner until 8:30 pm. Anyways...moving on.

Workout was at 5:30 and was lower body lifting for about an hour.

Dinner: 1/2 lb elk burger with a small spinach salad and some homemade sweet potato fries.

I also sipped on a bottle of kombucha with dinner/after dinner.

Like I have said in the past, weekends are hard and I"m really just trying to get through them Whole30. They may not be my best days, but I'm working on it. I haven't snacked as much today, I'm trying to eat bigger meals and I'm hoping tomorrow will be a busier day so I won't want to snack. Wish me luck tonight!!!

I keep posting late, but weekends are a little more busy for me. I went to the paleo potluck holiday party last night at my gym and ate a little more than I should have, but as far as I know, it was all Whole30 compliant. I didn't drink, and tried a couple of different dishes people brought and had a pretty good time!

Day 20:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with ground turkey, 1/2 avocado, fresh pico de galo, coffee with coconut milk

Workout at 9 which was a short, easy cardio workout.

Lunch: a bowl of homemade chicken salad with paleo mayonnaise. It had chicken, celery, apples, onions, and walnuts in it.

Dinner/Potluck thing: I had a couple of servings of my paleo stuffing (ground pork, sweet potatoes, apples, celery, mushrooms, onions, and pecans), I had an endive (sp?) which is a type of lettuce shaped like a canoe sort of, I had some fruit salad, and I had a 1/2 of a zucchini boat with ground beef filling. So nothing too bad I don't think, I could have probably ate a little less, but we were there for 4+ hours and I was grazing....oops.

I'm glad I got through it though and I feel pretty good. Some days on this whole30 haven't been my best/ideal days, but I've gotten through them and I'm happy for that. I'm excited for this weekend to be over and for my last week to start!! Keep up the hard work everyone! I know it'll be worth it in the end!

Day 21 is over and I only have about a week left! My weeks, you know if you read this, are my easiest time. Its very easy for me to stay compliant, and I made it through this weekend so I only have one more weekend to go and it'll be my last one! yay :)

Anyways, Day 21:

Breakfast: 2 egg scrambled with ground turkey thigh, 1/2 avocado, fresh pico de gallo, 1/2 banana, some canteloupe and strawberries. Americano with coconut milk.

Worked out before lunch, did a little garage workout. 5 rds: 3 strict pull ups, 15 weighted walking lunges, 300m run, 20 air squats.

It was a nice little workout to get me moving on a Sunday.

Lunch: Chicken kabobs with red and green pepper, mushrooms, and onions dipped in a paleo chipotle mayonnaise YUMM

Snack: I grazed a little bit today on some leftover paleo stuffing from last night (pork sausage, sweet potatoes, celery, apples, pecans, and mushrooms)

Dinner: I put a chuck roast in the slow cooker this morning with diced green chiles, hot pepper sauce, some spices and some water. I then made a cauliflower spanish rice with tomato paste, cilantro, red pepper, and onion. I put the pulled roast on top of the rice and it was reallly yummy!

Day 21 is on the books and this is my last week coming up!

I haven't noticed a ton of changes, which brings me to believe my body is sort of at a point that is efficient for itself. I think I would need to be making drastic changes for a pretty prolonged period of time to see major changes again due to my diet. We'll see though! 9 days left...maybe something magical will happen....it is christmas time right? :)

Day 22 is done, and I think I ate too much today, but lesson learned! I took the day off from work, and so I made my lunch at home, but I think I made it a little larger than what I normally eat at work. I'm excited this whole30 is almost done and I have made it this far. The sad thing is I haven't noticed a ton of changes...I think I'm performing a little better in the gym and I feel better (less bloated, gross, etc.) but I haven't noticed a ton of changes visually. Maybe when I get to weigh and measure myself again next week I'll feel differently. But oh well, if anything comes out of it for me, I've regained my discipline with eating and my good relationship with how food affects my body.

Day 22:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with ground turkey thigh, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana, fresh pico de gallo and coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: spinach salad with grilled chicken, red pepper, onion, 1/2 avocado, and olive oil/balsamic dressing. 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon, and about 1 cup worth of leftover paleo stuffing.

Snack: I had a handful of mixed nuts before my workout at 5:30

Workout - Did an hour worth of lower body strength. It was fast paced and exhausting. Fit a lot into an hour.

Post-WOD -- 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon and 1/2 small chicken breast

Dinner: taco salad! yummm...about 1/3 lb of ground beef, red pepper, green pepper, onion, and mushrooms sauteed with fajita seasoning and on top of some iceberg lettuce. Finished it off with fresh pico de gallo and homemade chipotle mayonnaise.

Also sipped on 1/2 a bottle of kombucha tonight.

Thats all for now! Have a good night whole30ers and readers! Day 23 tomorrow...

Day 23 and on to day 24 tomorrow! Tomorrow will be a test because I'm doing 2 workouts. One at 5:30 am, so I will be getting to bed here VERY soon, and one at 5:30 pm. I work at an office all day, so the in between I'm very interested to see if my energy levels can sustain. I haven't been seeing a ton of changes, and I'm wondering if maybe I"m eating too much....

Before the whole30, I was only eating a sweet potato or two per week, and now I'm eating one almost every day. I'm wondering if this might have a small part to do with the fact I'm not seeing a ton of changes physically....anyways.

Day 23:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with 1/4 lb of ground turkey thigh, brussel sprouts, onion, and red pepper. 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana, fresh pico de gallo, and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: Spinach salad with grilled chicken breast, 1/2 avocado, olive oil/balsamic dressing and 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon.

Workout - Did some snatch work, but stayed light because my shoulder has been bothering me. Then did a front squat, pull up, box jump workout. Post wod- had 1/2 of a small chicken breast, and 1/4 of a sweet potato with cinnamon

Dinner: 1/3 lb of grass fed ground beef made into burgers and eaten with mustard. Then I had about 1 and 1/2 cups worth of sauteed brussel sprouts, mushrooms, and onions. Also had about 1/4 sweet potato with cinnamon

Onto tomorrow...and hopefully falling asleep soon because I won't get my full 8 hours in tonight as it is. I might need a venti coffee tomorrow instead of just a regular.....sweet dreams everyone!

Archived