Seasoning cast iron

jennrider

Someone here cooks bacon or sausage to season their pans. I thought that was so smart. Most of them come pre-seasoned now so I say rinse it out with hot water and dry it and then season it yourself. Who knows what they use to season it.

I don't know what's wrong with me or my pans, but bacon or sausage always ruins the finish on my cast iron. The sugar in it caramelizes on the bottom and just jacks it all up. I'm pretty frustrated with cast iron right now! If I cook anything but eggs it seems to screw it up. I use lard to season it, which seems to work well, until I try to cook something...

Ya, just hot water to wash, unless it's had something really strong, like fish, and I want to cook something that doesn't taste like fish :) Then I use a drop of soap. And oh how nice it would be to have sugar free bacon and sausage, I even had my own pigs butchered and completely forgot to tell the butcher not to put sugar in the cures...

• 2 months later...

Trick!!! While the fat is getting hot... Pour a Tbsp of fine salt into the pan and wad up some paper towels and rub it in a circular motion

"Whereupon I proceeded to take that mittenful of the deadly yellow snow

crystals and rub it all into his beady little eyes with a vigorous

circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

to take the place of the mudshark in your mythology

here it goes,the circular motion, now Rub It!"

Sorry.... Any excuse to quote Zappa!!!

The salt acts as a very fine abrasive and gets the pan silky smooth..... Don't be afraid to apply pressure....dump out the salt and wipe several times with clean paper towel and then add mor fat to season....

Archived