Day 31, and my stomach already hurts!

DebG44

I just started my reintroduction today.  I did great with my Whole 30.  I lost 15 pounds, I was sleeping better, had more energy, fewer cravings.  I started with non-gluten grains, because that's what I had without going to the store, and OMG my stomach hurts like it hasn't for 30 days!  I'm bloated.  I had gluten free bread for breakfast and rice for lunch, and my stomach is so off that I don't even want the dinner with corn I had planned.  Any one else experiencing this?  Is it because I went out of order?  I am so excited for Whole 30 meals the next two days to reverse these symptoms!

• Moderators

The order doesn't matter, there's something about these foods that don't work for you.

If you had brown rice, some people find it is harder to digest than white rice. You might also look at the ingredients in your gluten free bread. Many gluten free foods use nut flours, and if you had very much of the bread, the nuts in that might also be contributing to bloat.

@ShannonM816 Question about reintroduction -  Tomorrow is my day 31 and I am planning to reintroduce non-gluten grains. Is it OK to just have oatmeal for breakfast or do I need to have oatmeal in addition to a meal template? Same thing for having greek yogurt for breakfast when I do a dairy reintro. Thanks

• Moderators

If you would normally just have oatmeal for breakfast, you can do that. Pay attention to how you feel the rest of the day -- do you get hungry more quickly or crave foods you haven't been craving or have more or less energy than you've had while eating according to the template. 

Thanks for the advice.  I have been a diagnosed celiac for about 8 years, and have been eating Udi's gluten free whole grain bread for many of those years with no problem.  My whole reintroduction hasn't been great.  Not a ton of issues with legumes, but not perfect either.  And dairy is today.  Cheese in my salad and i'm a little bloated and gassy but not too bad.  I just haven't felt as great this week as I did during almost the entirety of my Whole 30.  What do you do in that case?  Quite honestly, since my diet was already limited, I'm not willing to completely give up gluten free grains.  I just don't understand why is affecting me so much now when it didn't wreak this much havoc before.  I obviously didn't feel great, or I wouldn't have done a Whole 30 in the first place, but I didn't feel as bad as I have this week!

Archived