Small victory over emotional eating

jennrider

Today was a day that as a parent brings dread. I met with my son's teachers. Middle school has been hard on him. I didn't each much breakfast because my stomach was upset. We met with the teachers and it was what I expected. I cried, he cried. I'm so frustrated with the choices he's been making. I think it's the loss of my sweet little boy that's hitting me hardest. Puberty and peer pressure are killers. My first thought at lunch (right after meeting) 'Why does it matter what I eat when my heart is breaking?' My second thought 'Are really going to let someone else's actions influence what you eat?' So I drove past all the restaurants offering cheesy fried food that would have consoled me in the past and took refuge in my own kitchen. I ate a healthy lunch even though I still had no appetite. Of all the great things that have come about since completing my W30 in September, this mental shift is the best. I'm not sure I would have made the same choice even a month ago. The longer I go on, the more natural and easier it is to make the best choice for myself.

I agree with the folks who posted above. Also, I had a shocking discovery about a work situation that I thought was going my way and I found out - by email - that it wasn't - and when I wanted to dig into the sugary carbs in response, I thought of you. So you kept me on track, so thanks.

Thank you for this post, and to the others who responded. This is a great tap (read: slap/punch/etc) on the shoulder for me that it IS possible to have control over what you (read: I) put in my mouth - even in the midst of stressful circumstances. Food will never help any of us feel better, but nourishing our bodies in the most healthy way always will. Thanks again for this post!

Archived