Whole30/ Paleo with PCOS

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 and since then I have yo-yoed weight wise dramatically! I was first put on Reductil (an appetite supressant) and lost nearly 30lbs. But as soon as I came off of it, it all came back on. I have been on 1500mg of Metformin for a year now and have been eating mostly paleo for about a year an a half. I haven't really lost any weight, but I haven't gained either. Does anyone else have any experiences with Metformin and paleo? I'm thinking of coming off the medication and just using my diet and lifestyle to help control PCOS!

• 2 weeks later...

Jennifer - are you on the Metformin to treat the IR, help with ovulation, all of the above? I think that would better dictate whether or not you even need to be on the medication.

I personally take it to help with my IR (in April I was very close to being full-on diabetic) and will probably stay on it until I've tested consistently normal for both my Fasting Glucose and A1C for at least a year. I've got a long history of diabetes in my family so I really don't want to mess with it, although I know the W30 encourages avoiding pharmaceuticals.

If you're not severely IR or borderline diabetic and aren't using it to help with getting pregnant, then I'd definitely talk to your doctor about getting off of it and treating your symptoms with lifestyle changes instead.

If you do have any blood sugar or fertility issues then staying on it a little longer might make sense, though maybe talk to your doctor about increasing the dosage to 2000mg to see if you see a difference. I know my body has reacted differently at different dosages. I started at 1000mg which did nothing and am now at 2000mg and know it's doing something to balance out my hormones at least.

Archived