reheating sweet potatoes

GrandmaShel

When I reheat sweet potatoes the next day, after baking them, they always are dark in the center, brownish, almost black. I am wondering if anyone knows why this happens. I know they are not rotten, I am talking about potatoes I reheat the next day after being promptly refrigerated. Does it maybe have to do with the iron content of the potato? Anyone else experience this? Thanks

It's as a result of an amazing little chemical called polyphenol oxidase, and is totally normal. Your potatoes are turning brown for the same reason raw white potatoes turn brown/gray, and why apples turn brown. They're still fine to eat, just don't look as pretty.

For more information, look here: http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--945/why-fruits-and-vegetables-turn-brown.asp

Thanks for the info...I have been eating them anyway, they are soooo good, especially after not having sugar for 24 days. I really enjoy the sweet potatoes. I usually roast/bake them, it is only the next day that they have the brown-ness to them. I know regular potatoes turn brown exposed to air when they are raw, I just thought it was weird because these are cooked and it happens. They are extremely fresh, we live in a potato growing area. and got some from a local farmer just dug, dirt still on them. Maybe that makes a difference too. Any way, I will just keep eating my delicious brown sweet potatoes. 

• 4 months later...

Piggy backing here - how long will half a sweet potato last in the refrigerator??

A little background for my random question - I'm planning to start the Whole30 next week and I am using this week to try new foods/recipes/techniques. I made a sweet potato in the oven and it was very good - but also very big!

Archived