Kids On The Whole 30

Mrs.Slayter

I consulted with a nutritionist before doing the Whole30 bc my daughter is on chemo. She said the whole 30 is great for kids, but if if kids aren't eating enough because they don't like the food or need the extra calories like my daughter she said to keep dairy and gluten in the diet for the extra calories. So I do whole grain cereals for when the kids don't want eggs, and I keep simple things like chicken nuggets and Mac and cheese, spaghettis things like that if it's a meal I know they won't like at all. I also keep cheese sticks yogurt and milk in the house for them as well. But so far they have been good about it. They r 5 and 3.

• Moderators

There's nothing unhealthy about having kids eat vegetables, meat, and healthy fats, so physically there's no reason they couldn't do this along with you, if they will eat the foods.

You would want to think about things like how to deal with any times they aren't with you. If they're at school or someone else's home, do you want to try to make them stick to it 100%, or are you content to have them eat what you do at home and not worry about what happens elsewhere? Obviously, it's going to be easier if you let them eat whatever when theyre out, but if you suspect an actual issue with some foods and are trying to do this as an elimination diet for them, you have to be more strict. Really, that boils down to what you want to get out of this process for them, so be sure you're clear on that before you start.

I am on Day 16 and my husband is on Day 9 of the Whole30 and we have two kids (Boy 8, Girl 5).  Both kids are very healthy and have no allergies.  We serve the kids the meals we eat but they sometimes request and eat homemade sourdough bread, pasta, grass-fed butter, paleo pancakes, rice and dark chocolate.  Their diet has become much healthier and they are eating a a wider variety of meat, seafood, vegetables, fruits and nuts because that is all I have in the house.  I stopped buying sweets, cereal, chips, milk, cheese, yogurt & ice cream which has made a huge difference.  Out of sight, out of mind. When they are hungry they eat nuts, hard boiled eggs, salami, veggies & fruits.  Here is the paleo pancake recipe I use:

https://thenourishinghome.com/2012/05/fluffy-little-almond-flour-pancakes/

I also recommend making pulled pork roast, pot roast & roasted whole chicken.  That way you make food that lasts a few meals and don't feel like you are constantly cooking.  Good luck!!

moderator note: the paleo pancakes are fine for children but are still out for the adults making them.

Archived