Starting January 1, 2018

dfbt

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read the book, shopped to stock my pantry, done my research, and planned meals. Ready to start my first Whole 30 today, Dec. 30!  Not celebrating New Year’s Eve so don’t want to wait.  Eager to gain health benefits for chronic osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, maybe avoid knee replacement surgery. 

10 hours ago, Haflagirl said:

Hi there! Like many others here I'm a newbie starting January 1st. My main focus is just improving my overall health with a focus on my arthritic knees, painful feet, and weight loss along with increased energy and stamina and decreased bouts of heartburn/acid reflux. 

You sound like me - overall health is dreadful with a lot of the same things.

I am in!  I kept the weight I lost from my last whole30 off for a year.  I have gained it all back this past fall.  Sugar is my downfall.  The first week is going to be rough for me, but I know once I make it thru it, I will be ok for the rest.

Starting my first whole 30 on the1st.  Looking forward to it. I ate mostly paleo for several years and I felt good and was able to keep my weight down. I have gone way off the wagon the past year so am hoping for a reset. My biggest challenge is that my spouse will only go so far with sticking to the plan. He will eat what I cook but will likely want to keep snacking on pretzels chocolate and ice cream. So I may come here looking for support. 

I did my first round in October and had great results. By middle of December, I was Binging on sugar. A couple of NSV I retained Are 1) Broke May daily starbucks habit and 2) I rarley eat out. I am In desperate need of regaining and keeping control over the dang sugar dragon. I’m starting a whole 90 1/1/18, 10day reintroduction and 365 With no sugar

I’m ready.. as ready as can be I guess. 

I’ve got a month of meals planned, went grocery shopping yesterday, and food prep is happening today. Planning to make mayo and hard boil some eggs today. Also hoping to print some motivational quotes to put up on my fridge. Any other suggestions? 

17 hours ago, Marytree said:

Starting my first whole 30 on the1st.  Looking forward to it. I ate mostly paleo for several years and I felt good and was able to keep my weight down. I have gone way off the wagon the past year so am hoping for a reset. My biggest challenge is that my spouse will only go so far with sticking to the plan. He will eat what I cook but will likely want to keep snacking on pretzels chocolate and ice cream. So I may come here looking for support. 

We will definitely be here for you!!! 

On 12/30/2017 at 9:22 AM, KathrynPenguin said:

You sound like me - overall health is dreadful with a lot of the same things.

Honestly, my overall health is fine. I'm on no prescription medication, my blood work is consistently clean, and I'm not prone to illness or infection. I'm a full-time dance teacher with a genetic predisposition to knee pain/arthritis and I have issues with plantar faciitis and foot pain. Yes, I'm overweight and I'd like to do something about that, but even my doctor says that I'm one of the healthiest chronically overweight patients she's ever had. I'm just trying to change habits for long-term wellness so that I can keep dancing and teaching for another couple decades.

I'm all in starting January 1!  Counting on my brother, sister and you all for great ideas and support.  My biggest challenge will be preparing and not relying on a grab and go at work and .... follow through.    Glad to be in the company of others focused on the same goal.  Good luck everyone, we can do this!

I'm in. I don't think this will be a brutal transition for me. I've been working with a trainer and nutritionist for two years and I'm close to my goal. My achilles heel is simple carbs. After 2 weeks of out of control eating holiday sweets, I'm done, done, done with the sugar. I feel terrible, bloated, and head-achy. It's going to be hard giving up dairy and sugar, but I've done even more difficult things. I'm looking forward to a successful Whole30 challenge.

Ok, i have a question about timing meals. I understand about eating before and after a workout, for me that is about 5:30 am.

Then meal 1 about 8am, I would then have lunch around 12:30. Sometimes I don't get home and do dinner till 6:30. I am very used to a snack in the afternoon to make it through. Should I ditch that and wait till dinner? According to what I read should be about 5 hours between meals? 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Marytree said:

Ok, i have a question about timing meals. I understand about eating before and after a workout, for me that is about 5:30 am.

Then meal 1 about 8am, I would then have lunch around 12:30. Sometimes I don't get home and do dinner till 6:30. I am very used to a snack in the afternoon to make it through. Should I ditch that and wait till dinner? According to what I read should be about 5 hours between meals? 

If you have a particularly long time between meals (like around six hours as you do) for the first while, you may want to have a mini meal before dinner... bearing in mind that you're only really trying to make up about an hour to an hour and a half, it doens't need to be huge, but we do recommend that it's protein and fat and not fruit/nuts etc... try a hardboiled egg or a couple bites of chicken dipped in guacamole or mayo... whatever floats your boat that isn't a hand to mouth type snacking item.

You may find as you become fat adapted that six hours isn't unreasonable... that you are definitely hungry when it's dinner time but you don't need to eat prior... but each person is unique so just be aware of how you're feeling and then eat between meals accordingly.  Does that help?

Archived