Starting January 1, 2018

dfbt

Hi all,

Day 18, hope you guys are all still going strong.

I'm feeling fine about food, not really having any cravings (occasionally craving sodium which kind of makes sense) and still haven't broken protocol.

As someone else also said, I am having issues with sleep that are now starting to get on top of me. I have normally been getting a steady 8 hours a night almost every night for the past few years, but since starting Whole30 I am all over the place. At first I felt quite energised, but at the moment I feel drained.

I wear a smart watch which tracks sleep and I have been swinging between 10 hours and 4 hours a night since starting the programme. I'll hit 4, 5 or 6 hours for one or two nights, then get a night of 9-10 hours. I think that's because I am going to bed at my regular time and trying to get up at my regular time, but after two successive bad nights I just plain can't get out of bed so I'm skipping workouts.

Also I don't think my sleep is of good quality, even when I am getting 8+ hours - I got 8 hours last night but I was woken at 2am, then again at 4am and eventually got up at 6am and I feel wiped out today.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd about the sleep - I've experienced modest improvement in sleep through Whole30 - I've been somewhat of an insomniac all my life, but I'll typically get two rounds of 3+ solid hours sleep each night, which is pure bliss for me.  Maybe a mod will see this and have some thoughts.

Wow, it really is day 18, congrats to all still aboard!  As this is my second Whole30, and I was still eating mostly compliant foods, I'm not experiencing any significant challenges or gains - but I am more aware of emotional eating.  Things are very busy at work, it's a great job but still stressful.  I find myself reaching for a compliant bar, or a handful of nuts (which can lead to mindless munching), or fruit when I am really not hungry.  Getting better about catching that before the fact now.

Also, with the holidays, I had probably gone from about 95% compliant eating to more like 75% compliant :D  I was feeling inflammation in my (severely) arthritic right ankle increase at the end of the year, and that is totally cleared up again.  That is a NSV that is powerful and compelling.  I am able to run and rollerblade again thanks to Whole30.

One last thing, I've "discovered" lettuce wraps as a sandwich substitute for lunch - I've been aware of lettuce wraps as a concept for years, of course, but never implemented it in my life.  The local Costco has 6 heads of organic Romaine lettuce hearts that work perfectly in that regard for $3.99 - I gave two of them away to a friend, have been sharing with my roommate, and still have some usable wraps left after two weeks - that's been a nice time saver.  Much easier than the cauliflower/egg tortillas I was making.

Would love to hear from all - I've been mostly silent due to work schedule so I get that, but this is good stuff...

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Much easier than the cauliflower/egg tortillas I was making.

Glad you found a substitute for this because these are actually not allowed on the program - no recreated baked goods including wraps. :)

Day 18 and still going strong! Actually feeling pretty good. Finally not exhausted! Someone at work actually said my skin was glowing! I’m not sure I see it but was nice to hear.

Only thing I really miss is milk in my coffee but not a big deal, some I’ve cream would be nice too. LOL

my freezer at home and at work have good ready to go and using my instant pot almost every night, beef stew cooking right now!

We’re more than half way!!

Found this guide for shopping and thought I’d share as some really useful tips for saving pennies!

http://whole9life.com/?s=Poor+paleo

Hope everyone is feeling strong and starting to see some benefits and NSV’s.

I’ve tried to be so good about only eating what I put on my plate for meals as I am the queen post meal sugar dragon cravings and it’s hard but I’m definitely myself able to avoid it and I’m starting to have some breakthroughs with my emotional relationship to my sugar dragon. It is so hard though!!!

Ok so today did not feel as good as yesterday, tired and feeling bloated and uncomfortable again. 

May be I’m coming down with a virus or something. Everyone around me seems to be sick. 

But seriouly why would that make my pants tighter! Ugh!

feels like a bit of a roller coaster ride!

1 hour ago, Marytree said:

Ok so today did not feel as good as yesterday, tired and feeling bloated and uncomfortable again. 

May be I’m coming down with a virus or something. Everyone around me seems to be sick. 

But seriouly why would that make my pants tighter! Ugh!

feels like a bit of a roller coaster ride!

Day 19 of the day by day book talks about this. It might be the volume of fruit and veg causing bloating or high FODMOP foods. There’s a blog page on the whole30 website about this, maybe that will help you! 

Honestly the best part of this is cooking my own meals! Tonight was fresh swordfish with lemon ghee mushroom sun dried tomatoe sauce on top. Sweet potato and sautéed green beans on the side! Was awesome if I do say so myself!

discoverd Braggs sprinkle seasoning.. loving it!

am having some cravings though... grocery shopping today I swear the dairy aisle was taking to me..” really, Mary, how can a little milk in your coffee or some pjs in yogurt hurt you” LOL

10 days to go!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Marytree said:

Honestly the best part of this is cooking my own meals! Tonight was fresh swordfish with lemon ghee mushroom sun dried tomatoe sauce on top. Sweet potato and sautéed green beans on the side! Was awesome if I do say so myself!

discoverd Braggs sprinkle seasoning.. loving it!

am having some cravings though... grocery shopping today I swear the dairy aisle was taking to me..” really, Mary, how can a little milk in your coffee or some pjs in yogurt hurt you” LOL

10 days to go!

PJ's in yogurt sounds pretty messy... best to steer clear of that one ;) 

Agree on the cooking! I had been getting pretty lax about cooking meals.

But I'm now spending a large part of Sunday cooking stuff for the week ahead. I'm pretty good at making mashes with root vegetables and ghee, various stir fries and I can make breadcrumb/flour free meat balls of many varieties :-D which are handy for portion sizes. I made my own Bolognese style sauce just by whizzing some tomatoes in the blender and adding salt and herbs. It tastes way better than the store bought stuff.

So much of it is really not that difficult to do, I just get lazy about it.

Day 21 and I've survived a crazy weekend of double training sessions. Crew training on Saturday morning followed by 2x 30 minutes on a dynamic indoor rower, then a race on Sunday in the 8+ followed by 4x1km on the concept2. I think I probably haven't eaten enough to support that level of physical stress? Hard to tell without tracking the cals. I am sure my body will tell me if it's starving.

21 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

PJ's in yogurt sounds pretty messy... best to steer clear of that one ;) 

As someone who has been known to make his share of typos, I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what was meant when someone else does one, but still scratching my head as to what PJ's in yogurt was supposed to be :lol: 

Did a big cookup today, should have plenty of food for the week, and lunch in lettuce wraps made for work tomorrow.  Now far be it from me to question a moderator, especially a fellow dragon-slayer, but I did make a pouty face about the cauliflower tortilla rejection haha.   Just to justify myself, 1, I forgot, 2, it really isn't a "baked-good" substitution for me, but just a convenient way to hold food when I eat lunch at my desk at work, and 3, the only time I made the tortillas this Whole30, I screwed the proportions up, and they didn't even hold together into anything resembling an actual tortilla - so it was just bite sized pieces of ground cauliflower, egg, and spices.   But I won't even try them again until this round is done, if ever.  

9 more days!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Jim4884 said:

As someone who has been known to make his share of typos, I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what was meant when someone else does one, but still scratching my head as to what PJ's in yogurt was supposed to be :lol: 

Did a big cookup today, should have plenty of food for the week, and lunch in lettuce wraps made for work tomorrow.  Now far be it from me to question a moderator, especially a fellow dragon-slayer, but I did make a pouty face about the cauliflower tortilla rejection haha.   Just to justify myself, 1, I forgot, 2, it really isn't a "baked-good" substitution for me, but just a convenient way to hold food when I eat lunch at my desk at work, and 3, the only time I made the tortillas this Whole30, I screwed the proportions up, and they didn't even hold together into anything resembling an actual tortilla - so it was just bite sized pieces of ground cauliflower, egg, and spices.   But I won't even try them again until this round is done, if ever.  

9 more days!

Ya, I'm usually pretty good at typos too!  I keep picturing dunking terrycloth footie pajamas in yogurt for some reason... blech!

I totally forgot we were in dragon slayers together! Time flies!  Ya, so the tortillas are definitely out but if you didn't want lettuce, how about a scrambled egg thinned out with water and cooked really thin like a crepe... that works really well, they're somewhat pliant and you get an extra hit of protein :D 

19 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ya, I'm usually pretty good at typos too!  I keep picturing dunking terrycloth footie pajamas in yogurt for some reason... blech!

I totally forgot we were in dragon slayers together! Time flies!  Ya, so the tortillas are definitely out but if you didn't want lettuce, how about a scrambled egg thinned out with water and cooked really thin like a crepe... that works really well, they're somewhat pliant and you get an extra hit of protein :D 

No no, I LOVE the lettuce.  It's kinda funny, another NSV of Whole30 for me is learning to love veggies.  Prior to it, veggies for me were mostly lettuce, tomato and onion on a burger or sub sandwich; mushrooms or onion topping on pizza (plus the tomatoes in the sauce :lol: ) deep fried zucchini dipped in ranch, etc.  I only wish I was joking :rolleyes:  So the cauliflower tortillas were a deliberate attempt to ADD veggies.  But it's OK, like I said, I love veggies now, and eat them in all kinds of ways.

I make Mel Joulwan's meatza's all the time now (https://meljoulwan.com/2010/02/16/dinner-and-a-movie™-meatza-pie-and-the-vancouver-olympics/ and if you had told me a year ago that I would be eating a "pizza" with no crust, no cheese, and broccoli,onions, tomatoes and olives as toppings, and LOVING it, I just would have laughed.  

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Jim4884 said:

No no, I LOVE the lettuce.  It's kinda funny, another NSV of Whole30 for me is learning to love veggies.  Prior to it, veggies for me were mostly lettuce, tomato and onion on a burger or sub sandwich; mushrooms or onion topping on pizza (plus the tomatoes in the sauce :lol: ) deep fried zucchini dipped in ranch, etc.  I only wish I was joking :rolleyes:  So the cauliflower tortillas were a deliberate attempt to ADD veggies.  But it's OK, like I said, I love veggies now, and eat them in all kinds of ways.

I make Mel Joulwan's meatza's all the time now (https://meljoulwan.com/2010/02/16/dinner-and-a-movie™-meatza-pie-and-the-vancouver-olympics/ and if you had told me a year ago that I would be eating a "pizza" with no crust, no cheese, and broccoli,onions, tomatoes and olives as toppings, and LOVING it, I just would have laughed.  

That's such an awesome NSV!!  I became a VERY good cook on Whole30... I"m renowned in my office and at the start of a week, everyone comes by my desk with their clean spoons to try the soup of the week (and then demand the recipe).  Before I started Whole30, I used to toast a bagel, put margarine (gag), Miracle Whip (double gag), yellow mustard and a big slab of cheddar cheese and call that dinner... or takeout... now I make verything I put into my mouth except for Saturday mornings I buy a McDonald's black coffee as a treat... Whole30 changes lives!

Hi All,

Day 23... not quite sure how I’m doing.. feel ok, but still waiting for the “ tiger blood” to kick in. 

People keep saying, “ you must feel great “. I feel good but not great. My diet pre whole 30 was not really too bad, the worst part was the dang sugar and snacking between meals. I feel like if I get rid of those 2 habits I’ll be good. And so far so good in those areas. 

Oh and as I’ve said really glad to be cooking on a regular basis. Tonight was peppers stuffed with pork and beef using the recipe from the book, homemade tomato sauce, sautéed zoodles and baked tostones. And little side of fruit. Most of this meal was prepped on the weekend so all I had to do was heat it up in the oven and sauté the zucchini .

oh and I have to ask what is a “NSV”?

7 days to go!!

15777730-0183-4CCE-8F3F-F814EC0F09E8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Inkratlet said:

End of day 24

Feeling tired and bored. Still not sleeping well. 

Nearly there... I can't believe I've made it this far to be honest. 

Hang in there inkralet, you have made it this far so keep it up!

I feel you though..... not bored but tired and hoping for the increased energy levels others talk about. That’s my motivation right now to hang in there!

32 minutes ago, Marytree said:

Hang in there inkralet, you have made it this far so keep it up!

I feel you though..... not bored but tired and hoping for the increased energy levels others talk about. That’s my motivation right now to hang in there!

I kept going after my first round and it wasn’t until about day 45 until I really felt the solid benefits. Keep going even if you don’t feel like you’ve made much progress in 30 days! Changes and progress IS happening!! Even if you don’t see it fully yet 

It's occurred to me that this might actually be unfair to expect from the programme. This new way of eating is a reduction in calories for me - I can tell that by the way my clothes fit, what I look like and how my workouts feel.

I put myself under a lot of stress. I do CrossFit 3x a week, I row in a competitive crew and have 2x indoor and 2x outdoor rowing sessions per week. On top of that I cross-train on a turbo trainer (with my road bike) or outdoors when the weather is better. That's 7 fairly demanding sessions a week plus some low intensity ones. I also do ROMWOD which is about 20 minutes of yin-yoga but that is the opposite of stressful, and have a horse riding lesson every week for fun.

So combine that with a calorie deficit and a demanding running around between meetings trying to manage people job and yeah, I'm going to be tired. For sure I am mentally less "foggy". That's a win. But I am more tired. It's not really hard to work out why, though.

• Administrators
Just now, Inkratlet said:

It's occurred to me that this might actually be unfair to expect from the programme. This new way of eating is a reduction in calories for me - I can tell that by the way my clothes fit, what I look like and how my workouts feel.

I put myself under a lot of stress. I do CrossFit 3x a week, I row in a competitive crew and have 2x indoor and 2x outdoor rowing sessions per week. On top of that I cross-train on a turbo trainer (with my road bike) or outdoors when the weather is better. That's 7 fairly demanding sessions a week plus some low intensity ones. I also do ROMWOD which is about 20 minutes of yin-yoga but that is the opposite of stressful, and have a horse riding lesson every week for fun.

So combine that with a calorie deficit and a demanding running around between meetings trying to manage people job and yeah, I'm going to be tired. For sure I am mentally less "foggy". That's a win. But I am more tired. It's not really hard to work out why, though.

Wow, that's a full life you have! Make sure you are eating to support your activity level and also that at some point you are also scheduling in recovery. Go-go-go as you are can't last forever, especially in the absence of recovery and adequate nutrition. Let your "tired" be a signal to you to tweak your programming, both sport and food.

Hello all,

think I need a little support. Not giving up and still cooking and loving my food but the problem I’m having is bloating, and abdominal distention. After meals I feel overfull, maybe I’m eating to large portions though I’m following the template pretty closely.

Tired and just not feeling well. I know yesterday I was wishing for the “tiger blood” but now I’m losing faith in seeing the results.. was hoping for less of this discomfort and to tame the sugar... guess I got that one.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Marytree said:

Hello all,

think I need a little support. Not giving up and still cooking and loving my food but the problem I’m having is bloating, and abdominal distention. After meals I feel overfull, maybe I’m eating to large portions though I’m following the template pretty closely.

Tired and just not feeling well. I know yesterday I was wishing for the “tiger blood” but now I’m losing faith in seeing the results.. was hoping for less of this discomfort and to tame the sugar... guess I got that one.

Hard for us to give you a little help without knowing what you're eating and in what portions... feel free to list that out.  Nuts, nut butters, dried fruit, raw veggies, cruciferous veggies, salad greens and fizzy water are all culprits in bloating... are you overdoing it on any of those?

Could be the cruciferous veggies but I don’t think I’m overdoing it..

here’s a list of the last 2 days

breakfast yesterday: 2 hard boiled eggs, baby kale and spinach guacamole and a couple strips of bacon

lunch Brussels sprouts, left over swordfish with a mushroom ghee sauce and some mashed sweet potato, and zucchini noodles, also about 1/2 cup fresh blueberries 

dinner was A hash made from left over roast beef and carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, onions celery, baby kale and spinach

today breakfast was left over hash with 1/2 an avacado and a few grapes and slices of pineapple 

lunch was parsley chicken from the Whole Foods Bar, some roasted beets and kale and baby spinach, guacamole on the side.

dinner was a stir fry with broccoli and chicken with a homade cashew sauce.

wow that sounds like a lot, maybe I’m just eating too much?

Archived