GERD/ Acid Reflux Recommendations for January Whole30

allisonra

Hello All!  I will be starting my 4th Whole30 in January.  It’s been about 2 years since I have completed a Whole30.  In that time, I have completely reverted to old eating habits and about 9 months ago was diagnosed with GERD/ acid reflux.  I had been controlling it pretty well, but in the last 6 weeks it has been terrible.  I’ve been taking TUMS or Zantac multiple times a day.  I know that tomatoes/ tomato based foods are a huge trigger and I avoid as much as I can.  My question is—should I avoid tomatoes throughout my Whole30 and Add them to their own day during reintroduction? Also, should I avoid all nightshades? All acidic foods like citrus fruits?

Thanks!

• Moderators

If you know tomatoes are a problem, it makes sense to avoid them for 30 days and then do a reintroduction day for them. As for nightshades or other acidic foods, unless you have reason to think you have issues with one or the other, the easiest thing is probably to just pay attention to how you feel when you do have them, and if you notice problems with something you can always cut it from that point forward. It's possible that the changes from just a standard Whole30 will be enough to help you relieve your GERD/reflux symptoms, and if it is, then there's no reason to limit foods unnecessarily. 

• 2 weeks later...

I avoid tomatoes (and bananas, and coconut milk used to trigger me, but not any more). Actually, sugar is a major stomach irritant and you might find that you're ok with tomatoes when you cut out sugar. That said, of course leaving out tomatoes and testing them is a better way to discover if they effect you negatively.  If you leave tomatoes in, pay attention to how much fruit you're eating and when you have heartburn. That's what I'd do, anyway!

Archived