Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still haven't had the noticeable symptoms other than being tired. I can feel the "mighty storm" is coming soon and have warned all my loved ones about it, lol!

My junkfood dreams already started coming: last night I dreamt that I dreamt that I ate a blueberry pie slice, and ate it anyways. So I woke up thinking I ate it twice and was so scared that I had to restart! Thank goodness it was only a dream. :)

Hi. I am Shelly M's. husband. this is my third w30 but I haven't posted before. I do a fairly significant amount of cycling (3700 miles in 2017) and in my first W30 in July '16 I had a terrible few weeks on the bike until I got "fat adapted." Since then I have been W30 compliant with pre , post and in-ride fueling and have been able to stick with that. I have also gotten almost all dairy out of my diet. The problem is that other stuff drags me down- the beer, wine and, to a lesser extent, grains. This time around my goal is to eat less between meals and have more of that be vegetables (like carrots and celery) rather than fruit. But the reason I posted is to pass along something pretty extraordinary that has happened in the past 4 days.

First to set the scene-Since October 2014 I have had a very tight area on one side of my low back. I have been through chiropractic,acupuncture, massage;TNS machine, even physical therapy, and I do yoga and other stretching on a regular basis but the tightness never completely went away, though it really never affected by cycling.(It is clearly muscular, no disc or nerve issues) However the night after Thanksgiving the area worsened by a significant amount and stayed that way. It was at its worst while I was on a trip to Europe with my son in late December ( enjoying many excellent Belgian and Dutch beers!). Many days I was quite uncomfortable.I returned to the USA on 12/29, knowing Shelly and I were going ot start W30 on 1/1/18. However I really "cleaned up" my diet starting 12/30 ( we stayed home new Year's Eve)  and started working out again the evening on 12/31. (For the prior month whenever my back felt a little better and I worked out, it got even worse). I woke up on 1/1 and felt much better, though I really didn't think it was that significant until the end of the day, when I had not regressed. The amazing thing is that since then, not only has the area not gotten worse, it has progressed much beyond where it has been for most of the last three years!! Almost all of the tightness has already gone, and the "only thing" I am doing differently is eating per the W30 guidelines!! ("Only thing" in quotes as that is obviously something major.)

I am really excited and hopeful that by the end of the W30 the area will be completely normal. Of course then the "problem" will be to determine what the culprit is- sugar, grain, alcohol (my guess) or who knows?? Actually, that brings up the other thing I want to do differently this time- do the reintroduction properly .

So while progress on the W30 can be slow, it can also be dramatic. If I had to guess, I think that my diet over the holidays and on the trip abroad really compromised things and the "violent" elimination of everything damaging  turned things around more quickly than if I had  been at my three year baseline when I started W30. Regardless, I am very excited and optimistic.

Last night after my 24 hours feeling like my stomach was a pit that would never be filled I ate a big dinner, I added a half an avocado as well for the extra fat that you all suggested, and I felt full finally. It felt great, but here's the thing, I am also doing the whole 30 to change my relationship with food and set myself up for success when it comes to portion control, listening to my body, and not overeating. The first two nights of the Whole30 I was feeling driven and confident and was definitely able to push my plate away when I was done, last night not so much. Granted it was a weird day, but I would say I overate. And again tonight. I ate a good dinner, then went on with some nightly chores but found myself feeling hungry after about an hour, so I had some more. I'm a little worried I'm already losing the spirit of the whole30, continuing with my same habits even though I'm eating different food. I think i need to examine this component of things as much as I do the foods themselves. I guess I'm hoping someone else has struggled with this too and maybe has some insights I don't yet

I'm going out for sushi tonight with some friends, I plan to eat sashimi (tuna and salmon) but what should I have with it?   I think I'll ask if they can steam veggies for me, but what if they won't?   Suggestions from my experienced W30-ers? 

Day 5 seems to be ok.  I no longer want to kill people, but I am feeling more than a little depressed.  Is that normal too?  I'm prone to mood swings/depression/anxiety, but this feels different.   

@CrazyCookie what about seaweed salad? Not sure if that might be compliant. You might consider eating before you go out so then you can just have a small plate and some tea! 

I felt down yesterday, to go with my total lack of appetite and nausea. So yes, I would attribute it to the W30, hope you feel better soon. 

42 minutes ago, CrazyCookie said:

I'm going out for sushi tonight with some friends, I plan to eat sashimi (tuna and salmon) but what should I have with it?   I think I'll ask if they can steam veggies for me, but what if they won't?   Suggestions from my experienced W30-ers? 

Day 5 seems to be ok.  I no longer want to kill people, but I am feeling more than a little depressed.  Is that normal too?  I'm prone to mood swings/depression/anxiety, but this feels different.   

I feel you, Cookie...I'm down as well.  I had bad dreams, too, and I guess I was whimpering in my sleep.  Ugh.  I hope you feel better and that today is a good day...keep posting if you need to talk.  Be kind to yourself! <3

Lew...

That's great news!  So glad you shared your story.   I too have r recurring issues,  specifically my knees (i do have arthritis)  but since taking Personal training 2x/week at Anytime Fitness,  watching my diet and now starting the whole30  (day 5) program I've lost a total of 19.5 lbs (1.5 in 4 days w30) over  the last 6 weeks.  I was telling my pt trainer that I am for the first time in a LONG time not feeling my knee pain!  When one has chronic pain and it finally resolves,  it's amazing!  Congrats on your progress!

Today's breakfast: (my husband had the same breakfast but with two full eggs, and loved it :D

Beverage  -Homemade chicken stock -Meal -sweet potato, bacon (paleo, sugar free bacon), red/green pepper and onion hash,  hard boiled egg and mixed veggies.  SUPER YUMMY AND SATISFYING :)

20180105_085459.jpg

11 hours ago, Olivia R said:

Last night after my 24 hours feeling like my stomach was a pit that would never be filled I ate a big dinner, I added a half an avocado as well for the extra fat that you all suggested, and I felt full finally. It felt great, but here's the thing, I am also doing the whole 30 to change my relationship with food and set myself up for success when it comes to portion control, listening to my body, and not overeating. The first two nights of the Whole30 I was feeling driven and confident and was definitely able to push my plate away when I was done, last night not so much. Granted it was a weird day, but I would say I overate. And again tonight. I ate a good dinner, then went on with some nightly chores but found myself feeling hungry after about an hour, so I had some more. I'm a little worried I'm already losing the spirit of the whole30, continuing with my same habits even though I'm eating different food. I think i need to examine this component of things as much as I do the foods themselves. I guess I'm hoping someone else has struggled with this too and maybe has some insights I don't yet

Olivia, I love that you're thinking this through and reaching out. 

I found myself having a Lara bar yesterday when I didn't really need one.  I felt hungry, but I couldn't have been hungry because I'd just had a full, delicious lunch.  I think I might have been thirsty...thirst disguises itself as hunger pretty well.  Should we try to just drink a s***load of water today every time we feel hungry (except at mealtimes, of course) and see how it goes?

I've also read that the hormone that helps regulate your appetite is released in excess in times of stress...and the W30 is VERY stressful this early in.

I know we can't chew gum because chewing sends a signal to your body that you're eating, and so I'm assuming that it means that the wonderful peppermint flavored toothpicks from Whole Foods are out.  But I'll tell you - holding one of those in my teeth is super helpful (plus makes my mouth feel fresh). 

Just some random thoughts for you.  <3

1 hour ago, ShellyM said:

@CrazyCookie what about seaweed salad? Not sure if that might be compliant. You might consider eating before you go out so then you can just have a small plate and some tea! 

I felt down yesterday, to go with my total lack of appetite and nausea. So yes, I would attribute it to the W30, hope you feel better soon. 

Good Call!  I'll be going right after work so no time to eat before, but I'm still pretty determined to stay compliant so I will not slip up.  Thank you for suggesting tea!  I love tea. 

Are you feeling better today?  I'm sorry that you were icky feeling yesterday.  I hope today is amazing for you!  

@MistyJG  I love that you are so friendly and positive.  I'm sorry about your bad dreams.  I hope you don't remember them if you were whimpering.  Try to think of Ninjas kicking your dream's butt before bed so you only have funny dreams of Ninja warriors defeating your enemies.... (LOL sorry, I'm a nerd with an overactive imagination)

I'm going to have a good day.  I'm not going to let anything ruin it.  We've made it to day 5 which is a huge accomplishment.  Thank you for your support. 

Is anyone else SO THIRSTY!???

So far so good still! Last night Hubby was on "make dinner duty" and his day ran super long, so he picked up Panda Express on the way home. This was PRECISELY what happened in my last W30, and I ate Panda and had to start over. Not this time! I found part of a leftover steak, heated up green beans, and treated myself to the last persimmon so I wouldn't wish (too much!) that I were eating Sweet Fire Chicken instead. Made it through!

And my face is looking better! W00t w00t!

If you already saw this, I apologize profusely! It just looks like I didn't post this 2 days ago.

@MistyJG those are great ideas! I absolutely think The thirst issue could be part of it. Plus you’re definitely right. It’s so early in this new way of eating it’s stressful for my body still and my hunger sensations may be misleading. I also suspect that my stomach is used to being too full and that the full signal is out of whack. Thanks so much for your feedback and insights! 

14 hours ago, Olivia R said:

Yes, I was there, on my first W30. It DOES get better. It took a couple of weeks for me, and I had been eaten fairly clean already. I didn't lose any weight on my first W30, and this was probably why. But it DID GET BETTER. My guess would be to keep doing exactly what you've been doing for now. When your body gets used to running more on fat, it'll be okay.

19 hours ago, ShellyM said:

Tell us people, what are you cooking and eating and are you in the path of this mighty storm? 

What am I eating? You mean, recipes? I scour Pinterest about once/week. I was just doing it, in fact. Tonight will be sweet potato/ground turkey skillet (minus the mozzarella). The sides will be garlic ginger red cabbage (OMG look that one up--it's to die for) and baked parsnip "french fries". I try to make double-sized meals so I can eat leftovers for breakfast or lunch the next couple of days.

If you mean, what snacky stuff do I have, then: I keep canned beets on hand, the unsweetened kind. I like beets, and they can be eaten any temperature, so if I'm going to be gone a lot of the day they work to carry in the car in a plastic container. Ditto for hardboiled eggs. Fortunately, I like eggs lol. I eat them fried with veggies on the side (or under, or over), and I make omelettes and frittatas with gobs of leafy greens and other veggies and maybe fresh salsa and avocado on top. Sometimes I pick up some uncured/W30 compliant meat that I have sliced at the deli bar, and I just roll the slices up with a bit of compliant mayo and/or horseradish. Or, I roll them up in lettuce. I keep fresh veggies that I like on hand: baby carrots, mini bell peppers, snap peas.

I also make a smoothie most days. I know that's discouraged--we should just really eat the fruits and veggies--but my autistic T1 diabetic daughter just doesn't eat well, and this is the ONE place in the day when I can get veggies down her, and she actually likes that we share the smoothie. She will tell anyone she hates coconut / nuts / avocado / seeds / pineapple / most fruits and veggies, but she drinks them everyday :). I'll fill a VitaMix half to 3/4 full of leafy greens and then add cherries or berries, sometimes other fruit. Then I'll also add almonds or cashews or chia seeds or beets or flaked coconut or baby carrots or avocado or whatever. I don't add any sweeteners. Down it goes. Voila! 

42 minutes ago, tallteenbigheart said:

Is anyone else not feeling all that different? I must be doing this wrong, the only thing I feel is tired... No cravings even, except a dream that I ate some Teddy Grahams last night.

I feel the same. I did during the entire Whole 30 last time as well. But at the end I definitely had a different relationship with food. It was still valuable.

@Lew Your experience is sure inspiring, thank you for sharing!

@Olivia R I was totally the same on my last whole30. At first i loved the big portions and then I felt so full and so sick of them. Just remember we are not snacking in between and the food we are eating has to sustain us through to the next meal. I am glad you added avocado and more glad that it helped you feel full.

@LiLoVing Is there something specific that your looking for in a buddy?

@tallteenbigheart I feel great and you shouldn't worry about not having the ickies! It probably means you didn't eat too terrible or your body just recovers well.

I too feel great aside from my cold. I cant believe it's day 5! i actually thought it was only day 4. lol Anyway the only issue I have is I work with a developmentally disabled adult and every time we go out he wants fast food. This could be harder for me if I didn't give up fast food over a year go but every time he is in my car with  french fries I just about DIE. It's ok though, I am pushing on.

So for Breakfast I am repetitious and have 3 eggs over medium, cooked in coconut oil and a huge hand full of spinach on top. I then have a half an avocado. Sometime i I scramble them and add mushrooms and tomatoes and put the avocado on top.

For lunch I tend to have a salad with an egg or left over meat from the night before.

Dinner tonight was one of my favorite things and my family loves it too so want to share with you all. Stir fry. Ground turkey, carrots and green beans, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, scrambled egg and cauliflower rice. I use coco aminos and it is soooo sooo YUM!

Everyone is doing so awesome. I still hate that I cant reply to everyone individually though I understand the stream would be so long if it did. I just would love to reply to everyone and well, i had a different idea of accountability buddies but you are all still keeping me motivated which I dont know if i could do without you all.

Happy Saturday, everyone! I figured I would check in since I said I wanted to have and be an accountability partner, but then I fell off the face of the earth! <_<

When I made the decision to do another W30, I was excited and had big ideas for all of the prep and fun recipes I wanted to try. Then days 0 and 1 rolled around and all of my motivation and enthusiasm had disappeared. I feel like I've been in a low-grade funk all week. I've woken up with a headache every morning (which never happened in my previous rounds) and I don't have any desire to cook or each much. Luckily I haven't had crazy cravings for non-compliant foods yet, so it hasn't been a struggle to continue on track. I'm looking forward to the day when I wake up with no headache, plenty of energy, and a renewed enthusiasm for being healthy! I know that day will come. Until then, I'm just being a little mopey and continuing to chug water (and empty my bladder 200 times a day).

My breakfasts have been eggs (scrambled or over easy) and bacon with some veggies (either broccoli, kale, potato). Lunch has been leftovers from previous dinners. For dinner this week, I had a burger with broccoli and mashed potatoes (made with mayo, YUM!), shrimp stir fry with coconut aminos, coconut chicken nuggets with potato wedges, and chili with baked sweet potato. My meals have tasted good, but everything has been basic and thrown together without a recipe. I know I'll need to do some meal prep soon in order to stay on track and prevent boredom. I've been considering signing up for Blue Apron or Sun Basket for some easy, no-brainer meals. Has anyone else done that on the W30?

THANK YOU to everyone here who has shared their experiences so far. :) Even though I haven't contributed to this thread, I log on every morning (while still in bed!) and read all of your updates as a way to motivate myself and remind myself I'm doing something important and worthwhile.

I hope you all have a wonderful and successful weekend! :D

Day 6 and I am struggling....no appetite, no energy. Perfectly happy to spend the weekend indoors watching football, when the temp is barely 10 degrees! 

Forcing myself to eat, barely able to eat 3 small meals. But then when I think about it, I don't think I would have a problem eating a slice of pizza!  

Gonna make some meatballs, hoping that will be more appealing.  Will probably go to the gym because I know I should. 

@tallteenbigheart I'm feeling the same way!  This is my 2nd Whole30, I successfully completed one in June of 2015.  I have no idea what Tiger Blood is, I'm tired, but that's nothing new because I'm busy.  I think everyone is different and based on what your "go to" was prior to W30 and eliminating all these foods, maybe your weren't as addicted as some to sugar (which sounds like the biggie).  My dairy consisted of cream in my coffee, so that's no big deal and since my first Whole30 I have tried to avoid processed foods and added sugars.  However, my downfall was and is not cooking at home!  I underwent triple-bypass surgery almost a year ago and dropped at least 20 lbs.  I knew there was no way I would maintain that much of a loss because it was due to having absolutely no appetite and just looking at food made me want to throw up (which was dangerous because of my chest being cracked open!).  Anyway, I combed the cookbooks and eliminated salt, took care of myself, felt great - gained maybe 5 lbs. at first and then got lazy with cooking.  It was easy to cook while I was off work recuperating and had plenty of time to shop and cook (once I felt better) but back to work and travel, it got away from me.  I need to stay healthy, I needed to reset and so far this has been great.  I get a little head-achy, but that's about it.  I have planned no travel this month, I find that I won't even go out, but when the weather is as cold as it is here in the Chicago area, that's not a problem.  I'm a walker, I gave myself the week off while I start this but plan to get on the treadmill or elliptical this week to get moving.  My dreams are great too - very vivid and upbeat, love it!  I love this forum and I love that I almost started on January 2, but decided to stop the madness and go for the 1st so the days line up perfectly!   Can't wait to get to the store and stock up and prep for next week.  

@ShellyM that makes my day!  I'm starving for some reason too (day 6?) so I'm ignoring it by looking up recipes - I love pork sausage for breakfast and I'm finding some good recipes, which makes no sense to ignore hunger by looking up recipes.  Then I'll get back to taking down all my Christmas decorations and putting day-to-day stuff back on the shelves.  Have a good day - ignore the hunger, there's loads of things to distract you - I'm an expert at it!

Archived