MimiHI Whole30 Hi!

MimiHi

Thank you for your kind words! It’s made me super happy reading them this morning!:)

So...Day 10. Why this feels like such a milestone is rather enlightening. The fact is that getting here, 10 days, without sugar, chemicals, etc. IS a big deal.

This says more about the American food system than our own resolve. It’s horribly disappointing and unbearably sad that we must work this hard to get it right each day. For all of us here, getting through our days, checking them off our calendars, giving ourselves rewards and pats on the back for making it one more day, I just want you to know that I’m in awe of your dedication to try to do something so huge as a Whole30. It is really really hard to fight the American Industrial Food system, when it’s basically set up for us to fail!

Life’s pace is fast and furious, and Whole30 forces us to slow down, read labels, plan menus, prep and prepare our own food. While it sounds easy enough, it’s not all that easy some days. Not because we aren’t smart, able-bodied human beings, but because the food system we are up against wears us down, even when we have the best of intentions, it clipping, nipping at our heels.

How many jars of marinara sauce have no sugar compared to those that do? It’s like 500:1. This fancy Grocery store I go to didn’t have a single jar. Not a single jar of marinara sauce without sugar! I find it really strange to walk into a grocery store and realize “90% of the stuff in here, probably has sugar or forbidden chemicals in it”. I’m exaggerating a bit, but you get the point. You’ve experienced something similar, I’m sure.

I guess I’m just saying “Well Done You!” for giving it your all, and getting through each day with such high hopes and great intentions to live a better life.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 10 is nearly done! Yea! Happier mood but I’m just a tad burned out.  Like a lot of folks around here, these aren’t the most fun days. Crabby? Yes! Bored? Sure! Questioning what the hell am I doing? Absolutely!

In other words, I’m right on track.

I’ve hit the chunk in the middle of the schedule when the excitement has worn off, the commitment to complete 30days questioned, and the desire to figure out what the heck to fix for dinner is very low. 

I had a saying I leaned on when I ran marathons. Basically it was about quitting never being an option. If I crossed the starting line, I finished the race. If I’d given myself an out, I literally would’ve quit at some point of every race. Only one time did I finish a race and think, “Well that was easy!”  So now, heading into Day 11 it’s time to use that same mentality, and hit auto-pilot. Run the road underneath my feet. Let the days unfold, don’t stress, or worry about what’s ahead, just focus on the day. Quitting isn’t an option, so I might has well stop torturing myself thinking about it, and all the days ahead. Enjoy the journey dammit.

Im literally making myself sick with all these dumb running metaphors. Goodnight day 10. Officially I’m a third of the way through.:D

Ha! One is good. A page full is a bit overkill:rolleyes:

Day 11! Cah-Ray-Zee.

Changing course from of my annoying running metaphor post, and my rant about the American Food System, it’s time to lighten things up and focus on something more Upbeat. Not exactly sure what that is, but that’ll be the focus of the day.

I took a couple pics yesterday to see if I could spot any change...and I do believe there might, just might, be a smidgeon less bloat. I put my extra weight in my waist and tummy area, so I basically looked like I was pregnant. In fact, I didn’t look all that different from the day I gave birth to my daughter 17 years ago. I still look pregnant’ish, but now Its closer to the 7-8 months look versus 10. 

Another food popped up on my ever-lengthening no-go list: Mushrooms, and I’m really afraid to write this next one...Almonds. I’m in denial over almonds, so I’m going to test the waters a bit over the next few days just to make sure. Mushrooms go in the kale category, could care less if I don’t eat those. 

Hope you’re all having a fabulous day!

Thank you, Cavemom! Same goes for your pics!:wub:

So happy to hear about your successful cauliflower recipe, and that Primal Salad dressing image of your husband pouring it all over his dinner is too funny. I can just picture it, and its exactly what I'd do too, if I found a dressing I loved. Plus, isn't it amazing how much we rationalize spending to get through these days? $7 for salad dressing is a steal right about now. Just like those pre-spirilized veggies I bought on the first two days. Whatever it takes to win the day. That's what I say!

Today was a great day around here...I cleaned drawers in my kitchen. So exciting! It feels great to get organized.

I have a story to tell about my dog, Dudley. 

Today was that kind of day with him, where I realize what a gift he truly is in my life. Today, we went on a short trail walk up to the park. He LOVES this walk, so it's always fun to see him get full of himself when we "hit the trail" (more like a short path in the woods, that lasts about 100 yards). It takes us 20 minutes or more to reach the park because of his hound ways, nose to the ground sniffing every. single. smell. Dudley is a sensitive guy. He always has been. The off-leash part of this park is often a stressful place for him because he can rarely find his "just right friend". Typically, the dogs are too fast, too tall, and play too rough for his liking. They are all sweet dogs, but he's never really fit in. He's like the kid on the playground, who always wants to join in the fun, yet holds back and watches. Dudley will wait and wait and wait for a just right friend. He often winds up watching the other dogs from a distance, and sort of "pretends" he's part of the ball-chasing much in the way the kid whose "playing" soccer runs along but never gets into the mix of it all for fear of getting kicked. 

Every once in a while, Dudley will get a stick and start running, in his Basset Hound kind of way. It's not really a run, but more of a plodding heavy-footed effort against nature. To get himself up and going at any sort of clip, takes quite a few yards and typically by the time this ever happens, a bigger leaner dog will overtake him. His dream is to be the leader of the race, stick in his mouth, with a pack of dogs behind him.

It's never happened.

Until today.

Today, he got his wish. I don't know if it was the weather (cool and misty) or the fact that when we made it to the open area of the park, all the dog owners turned around and greeted him with a big "Dudley!" hello, but Dudley was suddenly king of the park.

He grabbed a stick, and with the help of the universe, got enough of a head start that when the other dogs realized it was time to chase him he was just far enough ahead that they couldn't catch him! The pride and joy on his face as he tried to cut & run was something I'll never forget. Then, he hit a big open patch of grass and was free to run at his top speed. He was a purebred Basset Hound running with a full open stride. His ears flying in the wind, he took one look back and realized he'd done it! He had won the race!

He was completely worn out running so fast, and by the look on his face definitely surprised by what had happened. He turned to see all of us cheering him on! It's been 6 years of him trying to be the leader, and now he'd done it!

The other dogs were wonderful with him.  It's as if they knew this was his moment. And they let him shine. The big dogs didn't over power him, they shared the stick, and finally Dudley had not just one, but three, just right friends. His timid nature replaced with his newly found confidence.

I hope you all find moments in your days where you get to experience simple pleasures like this. I know he's a dog, but he's my boy, and to see him so happy was nothing short of pure joy.

Good night Day 11. Today was a great day!

Day 12: 

Thank you, Jager07! He was so so proud of himself, too. I could see it in his eyes. Just goes to show that we all love to achieve our dreams, and it’s even better when we have friends cheering us on! 

Another bad nights sleep last night which is never a great start to the day. And I’ve got a dentist appointment today, not a big fan of going to the dentist. He’s a nice guy and all, but his receptionist snaps her gum loudly, and it drives me nuts listening to her.

So happy to be on Day 12! Just 3 more days to half way mark! Yea.:)

Not too shabby, day 12, not too shabby. I made it through my dentist appointment, so this is a huge win for the day. I actually had a hygienist, who didn't lecture me about flossing, which I loved. She was very chatty and upbeat and actually made cleaning my teeth seem like her favorite thing to do all day. She did mention she's potty training her toddler right now, and happy to be at work, so she can have a break from running to the bathroom a million times a day with her. Either way, I'm happy I got out of there with a lecture on flossing.

I was NOT prepared for food today, so had to race into Whole Foods to find something to eat. Ended up with an RX bar...uh, hello? This thing was about as heavenly as I could ever imagine. OMG it was good. 

I am counting the days to Friday when I'm half way there. I do realize I'm not a glass-is-half-full kind of girl. This was never more apparent to me than last night when I was awake at 3am thinking about Friday being my half way mark. I did not see a half-full glass of days left to mark off the calendar. I saw the exact opposite.  When I reach day 20, then I'll be a glass-half-full kind of girl. I guess this means I'm more of a the-glass-is-half-full-when-it's-two-thirds-full person.

Hope you guys have had a great day. :) Mimi

Yay you for getting through the dentist appointment today after not getting a good night's sleep!  We sound pretty similar today, don't we?  ...lack of sleep with less than stellar appointments...we survived! :)

You completely crack me up with your 2/3 analogy.  Whatever it takes to remind you that you're good at this and you're succeeding.

Sleep well and have a great start to tomorrow.

Right? So weird to even be in a Whole Foods and have to look at every friggin' label. Yeesh. It's getting old, frankly. I will say that RX bar could be added along with those Nutpods on my ever growing How-in-the-heck-is-this-allowed-but-not-that? List. Not complaining, just saying....

DAY 13! How lucky to get this far. Wowza. Just never thought I could do it. I'm not so fearful of messing up like I was in the first week, so I'm super happy about that. My big goal for the week:  I'm focusing on Day 15! Can't wait to get there. 

Happy day everyone, happy day!:)

Lucky 13! 

Well today was the most illuminating of all so far. I discovered I'm on the FODMAP team...Most of the foods that I eat on a daily basis are HIGH FODMAP foods, which may be the reason I'm feeling so bloated all the time, and sometimes feel like I've got a chronic appendicitis. The real drag about this discovery is that I have to give up my beloved almonds and almond butter, which I rely on more than I care to admit. Dammit. BUT...and this is the beauty part of my discovery...if this works out to be true, and I give those guys up, I just might feel a whole heck of a lot better, so I guess it'll be worth it in the long run. I mean, I know it'll be worth it, but it really sucks. I hate admitting it but I feel sort of sad...so stupid to feel sad over something like almonds but I guess I'm mourning the naive side of me that bought into the hype about almonds, and almond butter, and almond milk, and almond ice cream, and every other 'friggin thing that almonds turned into when we could no longer eat dairy or soy. 

Tomorrow is my two week mark. I have to hand it to our girl, Melissa and her ex-husband Dallas. When they promise we'll learn a lot about ourselves and the foods we eat, they really deliver!

I'm sorry you have to give up your almonds and almond butter, and all things almond.  That is such a good example of how our relationships with food are sometimes heartbreaking when we have to part ways.  The emotions are real.  

Thank you for sharing your discoveries.  You're almost halfway!!  :)

Happy Day 14! Two weeks. So happy to be two weeks in to this journey. 

Thanks you guys for the support regarding my break up with almonds. I'd really grown to love those little gems, so this isn't going to be the same as dumping kale and mushrooms from my diet.  

To answer your question, ceerock, I was poking around other threads on this site, and saw one about FODMAPS. I don't have a clinical diagnosis or anything like that, but early on I started wondering about almonds, and kale, and tomatoes, so I've just been trying to self diagnose why I always feel like I'm having an appendicitis or my intestines hurt all the time. When I looked into FODMAPS I saw that nearly everything I eat is on the HIGH list, while very little is on the LOW list. I figure that's not good, so I'm going to focus on low fodmaps and see if I feel better. I can't quite get a consistent read on the almonds, some lists seem to say 4-10 almonds are ok, but more than that aren't. Well I have no idea who in the world can eat just 4 almonds at a time, so I'm going to remove them completely to see how I feel. 

Then I also discovered something about nightshade vegetables, and seems as if I react to those as well. In other words, I've got some weeding out to do to see if I feel much better these next two weeks.

Two weeks in, I wish I could say I felt better than I do. Not that I feel lousy, but I haven't hit that "BOY! DO I FEEL GREAT!" spot yet. Probably because 90% of the foods I've been eating cause my intestines to hurt! 

Aside from how I feel physically, I am so happy to be here with all of you. I got to thinking about how amazing all of you are sticking to this plan for days on end. We've got a great support group right here, and it just goes to show that no matter where we live, when people have a common goal of health and well being amazing things can happen. Without a doubt, I would've been much more tempted to quit had I not had all of you along for the ride. I love reading how your days are going, what food you're preparing for yourself, your pictures of the meals you make, learning about your lives through your daily food entries, and most of all how earnest you all are in making your health a priority, especially when the days don't go as planned. It's amazing to see how committed we all are to making this work!  We live all over the country, yet sharing this 30 day commitment makes me realize how connected the human spirit is. I cannot express my gratitude for your support not just towards me but to everyone else here. It's just so nice to read all of us encouraging each other.

I hope you all have a very very happy day!:)

I’ve been reading some about the FODMAP diet.  Not so much for me, but my husband.  He has significant IBS.  It makes him pass out on occasion.  

Intestinal problems are the worst!  Sorry about the almonds.  I love how you said it was a break up tho!  Too funny!

Congratulations on day 14!!! I really hope you're able to sort out what's hurting you. This community has been so wonderful to help me get through each day. I looked through some of your posts and saw the monster and he is precious! I'm sure you weren't thinking precious when he woke you up at 1am haha. Well, here's to another successful W30 day! Woohoo!!

Thanks you guys!! :wub:

I wish I could report I woke up feeling full of glee. I am happy to hit the halfway mark, but now I'm confused AF.

I spent last night pouring over various websites and food lists trying to figure out what the heck might be happening with my system and I cannot get a handle on it. First, I thought it was FODMAP thingy, but now I'm wondering if it's a issue called histamine-intolerance. Anyway, my mind is spinning and I'm feeling so down in the dumps, frankly. There's one more called AIP--anyway, I feel as if I'm half-way but not. I do know this: 90% of the foods I was eating to this point, to make it through these past 15 days, are mostly foods I'm not supposed to eat according to one list or the other. So, I feel as if I'm starting all over, sort of, which kind of sucks.

Archived