Jager07

So after several successful W30+'s, it's time to recalibrate and get back on track.  

I've found so much satisfaction and joy in journaling my food, mood and activity since my first round in May 2016.  Whole30 has been a game changer for my life and even after off-roading, it's what I always want to come back to.  The drifts from center have become less severe and shorter as my goals and commitment to a stronger, healthier me improve. 

Some specific goals are:  to get out of pre-diabetic range (my mom passed away in February 2016 from diabetes), to gain more confidence, to be sharper and clearer, to wear clothes in my closet that I love, and to be at 30% body fat by August. 

This is an amazing community of people dedicated to being great versions of themselves, encouraging others and learning as we go.  I look forward to sharing your successes, challenges and everything in between.

Rock on W30 superstars!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 is won and done.

This is the first time in my life that I've done a meal plan for a week and taken that list to the grocery store.  I love to cook and this is adding a fun, new element to the process.

Here's how the day went down:

B: spinach and egg scrambo with Frank's, almonds, tea.

L: beef taco lettuce boats, avocado.

D:  http://realsimplegood.com/chicken-with-creamy-garlic-and-mushroom-sauce-paleo-dairy-free-gf/ to which I added marinated artichoke hearts and kalamata olives and then served it over cauliflower mash.  I omitted the onion for digestive reasons and also the bacon because I didn't have any.  This one got a 10/10 because it was so yummy.  

Hey Jager, thanks for the turmeric tea recipe. I think I'll whip up a batch tomorrow. I second the gratitude for the chicken recipe. It looks fantastic. Everybody makes such delicious meals, you're all super inspiring. I'm trying too hard, I think. I made some chicken tonight, and it's waayyyyyy too salty.  

Do you think zucchini noodles are worth the effort, or cost of paying for them already noodled?

1 hour ago, MimiHi said:

Hey Jager, thanks for the turmeric tea recipe. I think I'll whip up a batch tomorrow. I second the gratitude for the chicken recipe. It looks fantastic. Everybody makes such delicious meals, you're all super inspiring. I'm trying too hard, I think. I made some chicken tonight, and it's waayyyyyy too salty.  

Do you think zucchini noodles are worth the effort, or cost of paying for them already noodled?

You'll find your groove on easy, tasty and quicker recipes.  I have a physical folder and notebook with some and whenever I make something, my husband and I rank them 1-10.  That helps when picking what to make again.

Zucchini and sweet potato noodles are awesome, but expensive ($4.98).  I'll spiralize the zucchini, but wait for the sweet potatoes to go on sale for 50% off (a few days before expiration).  It really is about convenience...f you don't mind a few extra minutes in the kitchen, I'd get a spiralizer.

Day 2 is won and done.

In addition to making extra of most recipes so we have leftovers, this time I'm thinking about portion sizes and making sure to stick even closer to the template.  No need to overdo the protein if I have enough veggies with it to feel satisfied and not hangry by the next meal.

A little discovery last night while making dinner:  took a bag of cauliflower florets out of the freezer with the intent of making "rice."  I put it in the Ninja and it came out powdered.  That was awesome because it had the consistency of mashed potatoes and was a snap to heat before putting the chicken on top.  No need to pay extra for it riced when this is so much better.  

Here's how today went down:

B:  beef sausage with sauerkraut, coffee with COil.

L: leftover beef taco lettuce boats with avocado, raw green beans.

D: leftover chicken concoction from last night over cauli mash.

Day 3 is won and done.  

Another great benefit of Whole30 is how it makes you want to organize, clean out and simplify stuff.  Today the kitchen gadgets/serving dishes/glass pans got a thorough revamping and cleaning.  Though no one else will notice what's behind those cupboards, it's a tremendous feeling of satisfaction to throw or give away things I don't need or use.

Here's how the rest of the day went down:

B:  spinach and egg scrambo with Frank's, coffee with COil.

L:  beef taco lettuce boats with guacamole.

D:  this amazing recipe: https://laughingspatula.com/sheet-pan-chili-lime-shrimp-fajitas/  I made mine on jicama tortillas with guac.  It was incredible and this one gets a 10/10.

Day 3 is won and done.  

Another great benefit of Whole30 is how it makes you want to organize, clean out and simplify stuff.  Today the kitchen gadgets/serving dishes/glass pans got a thorough revamping and cleaning.  Though no one else will notice what's behind those cupboards, it's a tremendous feeling of satisfaction to throw or give away things I don't need or use.

B:  spinach and egg scrambo with Frank's, coffee with COil.

L:  beef taco lettuce boats with guacamole.

D:  this amazing recipe: https://laughingspatula.com/sheet-pan-chili-lime-shrimp-fajitas/  I made mine on jicama tortillas with guac.  It was incredible and this one gets a 10/10.

sheet pan chili lime shrimp2.jpg

Ceerock, it would definitely work with chicken.  I also used Slap Ya' Mama instead of the red pepper, salt and pepper.  This would be an easy peasy recipe for company, too - took only 20 minutes from start to finish.

Day 4 is won and done.

It just feels so good to be back on Whole30 and on this forum.  People are awesome.

Last year for our anniversary, my husband gave me an electric smoker (which I reeeeeally wanted).  It has become my hobby and such a fun way to cook.  It's pretty easy to make W30 compliant food in it. 

In addition to tracking food and water for the day, I'm also tracking fiber since that can help steer me out of the pre-diabetes range.  Aiming for 21-25 grams per day.  

Here's how today went down:

B:  beef taco lettuce boats with Frank's, coffee with COil.

L:  fajita chicken, mixed greens with tomatoes, red peppers and ranch.

D: smoked beef ribs, baked potato rounds tossed with Italian seasoning and olive oil, spring mix with ranch.

Day 5 is won and done.

It was a leftover kind of day, which made me super happy. :) Not too much stressing or planning when you're reheating food.

B:  leftover chicken concoction with broccoli, coffee with COil.

L:  leftover sheet pan shrimp on a jicama tortilla (these are just slices of jicama that our grocery sells and are crunchy and a good switch from lettuce sometimes) with guac, raw green beans.

D:  leftover smoked bbq'd ribs, spring mix with ranch.

Day 6 is won and done.

It was a mellow kind of day today.  Not complaining and glad to just chill with house projects...more organizing stuff.  

B:  spinach and egg scrambo, coffee with coil.

L:  leftover shrimp on jicama tortillas with guac.

D:  baked pork loin, spring mix with ranch.

On 1/5/2018 at 8:32 PM, Jager07 said:

jicama tortilla (these are just slices of jicama that our grocery sells and are crunchy and a good switch from lettuce sometimes)

Thanks for clarifying this -- I was curious!  Jicama is good but can be a pain to peel, so that's neat the store has it all prepped for ya.

Day 7 is won and done.  Yay, the first week!!!

After worship, we had some shopping to do and stopped for a morsel.  I wasn't even tempted by anything on the menu and had planned ahead by bringing my own dressing....kind of habit if there's even a chance we'll eat out.  

B:  sausage with sauerkraut, peppers and mustard, coffee with coil.

L:  mixed greens with vegetables, seared ahi tuna and ranch, club soda with lime.

D:  leftover shrimp on a jicama tortilla with guac, red peppers.

Day 8 is won and done.

This morning I woke up without the alarm and with more energy than I've had in weeks.  Finally made it through that overly exhausted all the time feeling, too.  It feels good to finally have good sleep and wake up refreshed.

Here's the rest of the day:

B:  chicken, mushroom and spinach sausage with sauerkraut and mustard, green beans, coffee with coconut oil.

L:  smoked ribs, green beans, celery, black olives (but not the whole can).

D:  chicken saute with kalamata olives and artichokes over steamed broccoli and cauliflower. 

Great job not eating the Entire can of olives, Jager07! That’s some intense will power right there. 

Im so envious of your great night’s sleep and wakI got up refreshed. Can’t wait for that to happen. About what time do you eat your last meal prior to going to bed? Do you have a snack of any sort?? 

Haha!  Yes, I reeeeeally wanted to eat the whole can!:P

My great night of sleep only lasted one night....hot flashes took over last night and I woke up super exhausted.  Just in time for a mammogram.  Gah!  Totally dragging today and although napping is recommended, once I'm awake, that's just impossible.

We usually eat by 7 and if I'm hungry later, I snack on celery.  The crunchiness gives me a satisfied feeling without being all bloated.  Fyi, it's one of the veggies I buy already cut and trimmed.  Somehow I'm not as inclined to eat it if I have to wash it and cut it up each time. Plus, each stick is 1 fiber so it's easy to add a couple sticks to round out the daily fiber goal.

Archived