How to Modify?

I decided to go for the whole 30 as a vegetarian without modifying the rules at all.  I have tried to add fish into my diet in the past and have been averse to it so I am going with just eggs as a protein source.  It's Day 6 and I am struggling with getting enough protein, even eating like 8 eggs a day.  Is there another compliant vegetarian protein source I can try or do I need to think about adding greek yogurt, tempeh, etc. back in?  I am hesitant to change the rules midway through because it feels like a slippery slope.  But what I'm doing now isn't really working.

Thanks!

• Administrators

If you're trying to do the Whole30 as written, the only compliant protein sources are animal based, not including dairy, sorry. If you're wanting to do the vegetarian version including items which would not be permitted in the original Whole30, you can make those choices for yourself. There are some good resources on the website if you have a google.

That said, ya, 8 eggs/day isn't enough. 3-4 per meal would be the minimum which means you'd be looking at minimum 9 but more like 10-12/day. There was a lady a couple years back that did the entire thing on eggs only, you should be able to find her thread in the vegetarian section if you dig around a bit.

• Moderators
Just now, formerwaitress said:

Makes sense!  I can try to up the amount of eggs I'm eating.  I've heard about a mythical compliant protein powder, is that real?  I might've done the vegetarian modification from the start if I'd known how hard it would be but it seems like cheating to switch now.

There may be a mythical compliant protein powder (I think it's really gross from what I've heard) but smoothies and shakes are strongly discouraged for a number of reasons (click the Can I have link in my signature and scroll to Smoothies to find out why).

Archived