Beyond Meat: The Beyond Burger

Lauren shriver

So today at my local organic store I purchased the Beyond Meat brand's "The Beyond Burger". The ingredients seem compliant and I'm pretty excited about it because I am pescatarian and adding another protein source to my menu would be excellent. I need someone who knows for sure though! Please let me know! 

Ingredients: pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, water, yeast extract, maltodextrin, natural flavors, gum arabic, sunflower oil, salt, succinic acid, acetic acid, non-GMO modified food starch, cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, beet juice extract (for color), ascorbic acid (to maintain color), annatto extract (for color), citrus fruit extract (to maintain quality), vegetable glycerin

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Lauren shriver said:

So today at my local organic store I purchased the Beyond Meat brand's "The Beyond Burger". The ingredients seem compliant and I'm pretty excited about it because I am pescatarian and adding another protein source to my menu would be excellent. I need someone who knows for sure though! Please let me know! 

Ingredients: pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, water, yeast extract, maltodextrin, natural flavors, gum arabic, sunflower oil, salt, succinic acid, acetic acid, non-GMO modified food starch, cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, beet juice extract (for color), ascorbic acid (to maintain color), annatto extract (for color), citrus fruit extract (to maintain quality), vegetable glycerin

The ingredients are not compliant to the standard Whole30 as peas are a legume.  That said, should you be doing the vegetarian version in which you use additional protein sources not approved for the as written program, then it's up to you whether to eat this or not.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is compliant.. I don't think the pea protein isolate is allowed because peas are a legume. I also believe maltodextrin is a sugar substitute. And it sounds like modified food starch, while not strictly prohibited, should be avoided.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kirbz said:

Unfortunately, I don't think this is compliant.. I don't think the pea protein isolate is allowed because peas are a legume. I also believe maltodextrin is a sugar substitute. And it sounds like modified food starch, while not strictly prohibited, should be avoided.

Ooh, good catch on the sugar... that would make this disallowed for any type of program, as written or otherwise, sorry @Lauren shriver

Archived