Liza's 2018 Whole30

lgt2013

Day 6. Starting my January whole30 log a few days late, but still feeling the need to record it. Slept from 11:30 to 8:30 last night, 9 hours, even though I didn't feel particularly tired yesterday. I had not been sleeping a full 8 hours the first few nights, more like 6 or 7, so I was wondering when the good sleep might kick in. It's one of my main reasons for doing another whole30. That, and recovering from a pasta-filled fall :unsure:.

I haven't eaten a proper dinner the last two nights -- partly because having Kalua pig leftovers in the fridge causes me to pick at it when I get home from work, and I'm just not hungry for dinner. So I end up making some vegetables just to get my greens for the night. In the future, I need to portion out any leftovers so I have set lunches/dinners and I don't just freely pick at the leftovers.

Eating whole30 foods (or more importantly, eliminating non-whole30 foods) does not seem to be a problem for me anymore. So far no cravings. I did have to remind myself when I went back to work on day 3 NOT to eat any of the chocolates at work; it is such an automatic for me to grab one here and there! Eating out is still a problem, especially when going fast casual. I still can't believe Whole Foods uses canola oil in almost ALL cooked dishes on their hot bar. I managed to find one cooked vegetable dish (cumin-roasted veggies) without it, but not palatable to me. If I go there again, it's probably salad with a protein. They did have compliant roasted turkey. They also had a few nom nom paleo dishes, but I wasn't a fan of either.

The hardest part of whole30 is ALWAYS eliminating wine. I don't drink a lot, not even 3 nights a week, but I do miss having a glass when I want one. I find myself avoiding social situations because I'm just sad to not have a glass while everyone else is. I am counting the days (24 more!) until I can.

I am very much looking forward to my first Blue Apron delivery this week! I've always wanted to try one of the delivery services, but have stayed away because of the inability to limit the ingredients I don't want. Seems like all of them allow you to eliminate shellfish or meat, but none do dairy and grains. I'm hoping Blue Apron sees enough of an uptick in membership from Whole30 that they continue to have 2 per week. If not, I'm out at the end of the 8 weeks.

Sorry for the rambling. Perhaps my next post will be more organized, perhaps not. It's really just for me anyway. :D

Sound like you're doing awesome. Some Whole Foods have Nom Nom Paleo stuff free of canola oil in the hot bar now for this Jan, but I'm not sure it's rolled out everywhere yet. I'm excited to hear what you think of Blue Apron. I'm always curious about those types of services and how using them is.

Thanks Shalla! I actually did mention that they had a couple Nom Nom Paleo entrees, (pot sticker stir fry and tex mex beef (I think?) with cauli rice) but neither appealed to me :unsure:. Thankfully, I don't have to eat out very much this month so I won't have to worry about it. I do wish they didn't use so much canola oil in their dishes though!

As far as Blue Apron, I like cooking, I just don't always love hunting down the ingredients. Especially as a single person/household of one. I'm looking forward to getting just the right amount of ingredients for their dishes and having a leftover meal for the next day.

Day 7. 

Still no cravings yesterday. Breakfast was my all-the-time homemade sausage with veggies. Lunch was leftover Kalua pig in lettuce wraps, with roasted potatoes. For dinner I tried out a few new recipes. They had some scallops on sale at the store, so I made scallops with blueberry ginger sauce (next time I would add a little jalapeno and halve the water for a thicker sauce with a little kick) from the Whole30 book, crispy green beans from the Whole30 recipes instagram (were good but not crispy) and acorn squash from Stupid Easy Paleo. Was kind of a weird mix of flavors, but I had plenty of time to spend in the kitchen tonight so I thought I'd try it all out.

The one place where I failed was getting sucked into Bloodline on Netflix last night. I ended up binging 5 episodes to finish season 1, went to bed at 1:30!  I usually give myself a 2 episode max, but this was my wild and crazy Saturday night. :rolleyes:

Knee is sore today. Not sure why, I haven't done anything to merit it, and I don't usually have arthritis issues. I actually don't even know if it's arthritis.

Meal planning for the week today. Blue Apron arrives on Tuesday, I'll be interested to see if the 2 ppl servings are enough for one dinner and one lunch for me. That would take care of 4 meals, and breakfast is the same everyday, so I would only have to plan 10 meals, some of which will be leftovers.

Day 9.

Bad sleep last night, but may have more to do with PMS than anything else. Up at 12:00, 2:00, and 5:30.

Blue Apron arrived today. Mexican spiced Barrumundi over kale-sweet potato salad. Barrumundi is not something I'd find at my local grocery, but the kale salad was pretty run of the mill. Plenty enough for 2 servings. Also, the avocado they sent was hard as a rock. It'll take a week to ripen in a paper bag. Luckily, I always have avocados in house, especially when doing a whole30! Tomorrow night is Japanese-spiced chicken lettuce wraps.

Still no serious cravings, weird considering how much sugar I was eating the last few months.

Quick check in since I've been MIA lately:

Days 10 and 11, "the hardest days", were actually not hard at all. I even went to a bowling birthday party and only had sparkling water while everyone else drank beer and ate cake. So I came to an epiphany that I should eat whole30 100% at home, and as much as possible when I'm out (although I have no intention of eating salad with plain grilled meat every time I go out). I think I might be able to kick dairy permanently as well. The one major concern for the future is international travel. Like, if I ever get the chance to go to Italy am I really not going to have gelato?? Last fall I was in Nicaragua and one of their most popular street foods is quesillo, which is obviously made with cheese. Should I have missed out on that?

Days 12 and 13, eating (really, meal timing) has not been great, mainly because of how busy I've been and unable to get to lunch until about 4:00, which meant I've not been hungry for dinner until 9pm -- not ideal.   Today should be better, I'll be having lunch at 1:00.

I need to do a major grocery trip this week, running low on proteins. Last week I had a lot of fish which was nice, but only because I was able to find scallops and halibut on sale. I don't have a supertight budget, but I'm also not made of money and not willing to spend $15-$20/lb for any protein.

Looking forward to week 2 of Blue Apron. One issue that I have with it is that I plan to have one of the meals Tuesday night, when it's delivered, but they don't guarantee delivery until 10pm. Last week it arrived around 6:30, which worked out fine, but any later and I'll have to have something else ready to go for Tuesday night.

I re-upped at the TRX gym I go to, the membership option I chose means I need to go at least 4x/week to get the most for my money. Obviously more would be better financially, but it's hard on my body. I'd like to supplement with yoga 1-2x week, just to slow things down a little. And I'm also shooting for the 52 week hike challenge, which should make my dog really happy.

Menu for today:

Breakfast: same as everyday -- homemade turkey sausage with veggies, potatoes, and avocado; black coffee

Lunch : leftover chicken thighs with magic mushroom powder, green beans, and butter lettuce salad w/ Primal Kitchens ranch

Dinner: Salmon baked with chipotle lime mayo (my new favorite way to cook salmon!), green beans (because that's all I have in the fridge and I need to get rid of them), and spaghetti squash.

Forgot to mention the one real craving I've been having -- ketchup! I made ground beef with sweet potato noodles and thought, mmm, this would be so much better with ketchup! And then tonight I roasted some potatoes and thought the same thing.  So, not chocolate, not pizza, not pasta, but ketchup. So weird.

i hear ya on the ketchup...i think there is a whole30 ketchup recipe out there that a lot of people like? i'm not sure which one though. might help a bit. 

On 1/15/2018 at 6:03 AM, ceerock said:

i hear ya on the ketchup...i think there is a whole30 ketchup recipe out there that a lot of people like? i'm not sure which one though. might help a bit. 

Thank you both! I'm actually on my way to Whole Foods today so I may try to track down some Tessemae's. Otherwise, I'll probably just wait until after my whole30 is done to use ketchup.

I need to try that salmon with chipotle lime mayo, that sounds great.

I think a part of the whole "food freedom forever" thing is deciding if the quesillo in Nicaragua or gelato in Italy are worth it for you. If dairy really messes you up, maybe not. But if it doesn't? Why not? Traveling's special and participating in local food culture can be a big part of that. There's no such thing as "bad" or "good" foods, just foods that are better or worse for you personally. What I love about Whole30 is it gives me what I need to make informed choices for me and my diet. If you haven't read it before, I love Melissa's post about it https://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-forever/

Finally, and most important, doing the Whole30 for the rest of your life would completely eliminate the opportunity to indulge in some truly extraordinary, truly special off-plan foods. Think fresh pasta in Italy, the homemade birthday cake your co-workers made, a champagne toast at your best friend’s wedding, or Gram’s famous baklava at Christmas… these are times when you at least want the option to choose to indulge. I’m not saying you would have to eat or drink those things, I’m just saying I’d want you to feel like you could if you wanted to.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:05 AM, Shalla said:

I need to try that salmon with chipotle lime mayo, that sounds great.

I think a part of the whole "food freedom forever" thing is deciding if the quesillo in Nicaragua or gelato in Italy are worth it for you. If dairy really messes you up, maybe not. But if it doesn't? Why not? Traveling's special and participating in local food culture can be a big part of that. There's no such thing as "bad" or "good" foods, just foods that are better or worse for you personally. What I love about Whole30 is it gives me what I need to make informed choices for me and my diet. If you haven't read it before, I love Melissa's post about it https://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-forever/

The salmon is really good that way and so easy! It's a little spin on Paleomg's 5 ingredient Salmon with a cook time of 10 minutes (the best part!).

I agree about worth it vs not worth it. I lived on bread and cheese when I went to Paris, and it was 100% worth it, but I had not eliminated dairy from my diet so the consequences were not as severe. And quite frankly, ice cream has always made me suffer so it wouldn't be any different with gelato.

Day 21 and I think I might be dealing with the timeline in reverse. I feel like I'm just over it and want it to be done. I want something crunchy and my sweet cravings aren't over the top, but I was thinking last night that I might want to celebrate the end of my whole30 with a cupcake (!!!). None of this popped into my head until yesterday. Before this the only thing I've really been missing is wine. Those Blue Apron meals come with a recommended wine pairing (with the caveat that whole30 does not permit wine) and I keep thinking how I can't wait to make some of the recipes with a glass of wine. -_-

Um, okay, so I was just scrolling through my instagram and came across the whole30 post "Are you so over it?". Haha, yes! Not so much food boredom, I like all the foods I've been eating, but I want something crunchy really badly! Chips and salsa! I'd be happy with some Trader Joe's plantain chips, if they weren't against the rules now! 

Oh yeah, my biggest problem with the whole thing had been the lack of something properly crunchy. Sugar snap peas and carrots just are not the same a chips. I've been having sugar craving problems too and I'm on day 19. Which is so weird it took that long.

7 minutes ago, Shalla said:

Oh yeah, my biggest problem with the whole thing had been the lack of something properly crunchy. Sugar snap peas and carrots just are not the same a chips. I've been having sugar craving problems too and I'm on day 19. Which is so weird it took that long.

Right? Someone on the whole30 insta suggested jicama sticks, and I'm like, yeah, no. If the craving persists, I may just make my own plantain chips.

Day 23/24

Last night, day 23, I went on a date. I let him know when we were planning that I'm doing a Whole30, just like that, didn't make a big deal of it, and that my diet is pretty restricted right now. So he let me pick the restaurant, and we went somewhere I knew I could order plain grilled/seared protein and vegetables. At the restaurant, I just told the server that I have a very restrictive diet, and asked if either the duck breast or pork chop were marinated in anything. He went and checked, and neither were, so I ordered the duck breast, seared plain with olive oil only, with a side of vegetables, again olive oil. I made it clear that I could not have butter at all. He also let me know that the duck comes with a sauce made of only apricots, fresh squeezed orange juice and fresh squeezed lemon juice, but he would put it on the side (I did ask if it had any sugar and he said no). He also made a point of asking if I was okay with garlic and shallots with the vegetables. We also ordered a "vegan" artichoke (no butter) to start, my date used the aioli for dipping, but I just used a squeeze of lemon. I have to say, I was a little stressed going into it (about the food, not the date), but it wasn't a big deal at all and it was actually very delicious. The duck breast had the skin on and was nice and crispy. So yeah, that was my big win for this Whole30! I will say I was pretty envious of my date's glasses of wine.

Today I made both of my Blue Apron meals, one for lunch and one for dinner, so I could have leftovers for the next couple days. It has been very nice having that available, so 4 less meals that I have to think about for the week. I would love it if they continued to do whole30 meals after the eight weeks, but if not, I've got enough skills under my belt to make do, because my plan is to stay whole30 at home (with wine) 100% of the time. My first reintro will be butter (no other dairy), and if it goes okay, I might ditch the ghee, just because it's so much more expensive/or a pain in the butt to make it.

On 1/21/2018 at 12:47 PM, lgt2013 said:

.... I keep thinking how I can't wait to make some of the recipes with a glass of wine. -_-

I love to cook and when I cook, I love to have a glass of wine. I miss that a lot right now (because I'm cooking all the damn time). I thought about pouring some sparkling water into a wine glass but that's just enabling my bad habits so I'm not doing that but......

Did you kiss your date just for the taste of wine? I would have. That's not cheating. (Sorry if I crossed a line but it was all I could think about when I read your story.)

I've discovered I like cauliflower rice and I think what I like is the crunchiness it gives to a dish. Just seems to enhance it.

I don't find I can taste cauliflower at all (but I love cauliflower). One night, the store didn't have cauliflower rice so I bought broccoli rice. I didn't think I'd like it because I don't really care for broccoli and thought the taste would overpower but I couldn't taste it at all. Give it a try, you never know.

Day 28.

Yesterday at work they bought pizza and pastries. I was a little annoyed that I couldn't have any, but just kept reminding myself that "I don't eat dairy" anymore. If I keep saying it, it will get easier, right? I just ate my kale salad with chicken and avo and didn't give the other food another thought.

Out of nowhere I have been breaking out. I really don't breakout, sometimes one or two blemishes during PMS but I'm nowhere near that right now. But now I have 2 large blemishes that appeared 27 days in :huh:

I've been thinking about reintro. I'm going to start with butter on Wednesday. From what I remember, butter doesn't affect me too much, and it will be nice to go to a restaurant and not stress about butter in a dish. I will not be reintroducing any other dairy from cow's milk, but will do a goat cheese and sheep's milk cheese reintro (separate days). I know from my one previous reintro that gluten is a problem for me -- bloating, lethargy, and soreness in my joints, so I won't need to do that one. And sugar is always a problem, although the cravings have been really minimal this go around, which is shocking considering the amount of whoopie pies I had over the holidays! I'll have to figure out wine, but if something pops up, I'll just work my reintro schedule around it.

Archived