Lunch

Hello there,

Found some Coconut Yogurt that is made in-house at a health cafe close to work. Wondering if it complies? Pectin is obviously a gray area since it is a sweetener, but what do you all think?

Coconut Yogurt: Coconut, Tapioca, Pectin, and Probiotic Cultures

• Moderators

Technically this is compliant but it is strongly recommended that you revisit what you're using it for... a couple spoons on top of a curry or spicy dish is fine... subbing this item for dairy yogurt with faux granola and fruit for a breakfast that 'fits' into what you think breakfast should be is not on...

37 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Technically this is compliant but it is strongly recommended that you revisit what you're using it for... a couple spoons on top of a curry or spicy dish is fine... subbing this item for dairy yogurt with faux granola and fruit for a breakfast that 'fits' into what you think breakfast should be is not on...

Hmm in this case I ate a few spoonfuls of the coconut yogurt topped with some shredded coconut alongside a hardboiled egg and smoked salmon. Anything wrong there?

I understand we're not supposed to "substitute" items (ie. fruit in place of dessert), but how crazy do we need to be when it comes to what we "think" breakfast should be. Aren't "breakfast foods" pretty well defined? 

28 minutes ago, Lunch said:

Hmm in this case I ate a few spoonfuls of the coconut yogurt topped with some shredded coconut alongside a hardboiled egg and smoked salmon. Anything wrong there?

I understand we're not supposed to "substitute" items (ie. fruit in place of dessert), but how crazy do we need to be when it comes to what we "think" breakfast should be. Aren't "breakfast foods" pretty well defined? 

This is very generally speaking, but when people ask about breakfast options on whole30, they usually coming from a place where they were having cereal, or yogurt and granola and they're overwhelmed with what to eat. At that point it seems like the only option is eggs eggs eggs, so a lot of people recommend thinking about breakfast just as Meal 1 where you eat anything you'd make for another meal at a different time of day. Leftovers, salmon cakes with a side of veggies and a mayo dipping sauce for example.

Yes, breakfast foods are *typically* well defined but that's kind of the problem. You're trying to change your habits here and replacing your previous sugar laden breakfast with a compliant sugar laden breakfast isn't going to get you the results that you want. That's why you'll see a lot of people saying meal 1 as opposed to breakfast and that's why there are rules and recommendations surrounding things like recreating pancakes with compliant ingredients (rule) and having a bowl of fruit with coconut yogurt (yeah, you can but you REALLY shouldn't). 

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Lunch said:

Well that's the thing, breakfast foods ARE pretty well defined but you can eat anything for breakfast that you eat at any other time of the day... I had curry cashew chicken and a brussels sprouts and purple cabbage bake...

Not eating yogurt in place of dairy yogurt as a breakfast item isn't going crazy... in the case of what you ate, I'd say that's probably fine but you were missing veggies with that meal?

My husband can't eat eggs. He has always viewed breakfast as "Meal 1." And really, it's an American thing that we view breakfast as what it is. Most other countries, from what I understand, don't view it in the same way we do.

He typically eats chicken and a potato side for breakfast OR if there are leftovers, he'll eat stew or whatever. Breakfast is what YOU make it, not what society says it is. The spirit of Whole30 is to try new foods. I'd take that spirit to heart and make some egg casseroles or try leftovers for breakfast and see how that makes you feel both physically and mentally.

I'm just not a big fan of eggs for breakfast (unless I can get some straight from the farm!). Today for "breakfast," I had a microwaved sweet potato topped with leftover chicken lettuce cup filling, with a side of leftover sautéed chard and a big slug of coconut milk in my Americano. Not a typical breakfast by American standards, but it was delicious!

Archived