Start date Mon. Feb 12th 2018

Micaela P

Day 19 - whew! We're almost 2/3 done with this thing! One one hand I really feel like I'm in the groove with this way of eating. I don't think about it all that much anymore - I just do it. On a positive note, I can tell my stomach is flatter and I feel a bit lighter. Emotionally it has been interesting to notice my desire to reward myself with food - whether it's for working hard, boredom or a weekend treat. Because I can't have those food rewards, I've been more mindful of other things - like appreciating conversations with my family, a sunny day or certain smells. Definitely helping me live in the present!

One bummer is that I was hoping this would help lessen my nightly hot flashes and that I would sleep better - but that is not happening. 

@dnewc that chocolate strawberry idea is tempting.....I had 1/2 of a chocolate RX bar the other day and it was definitely a treat! 

@Shelly :) I want to try that hibiscus kombucha! We make our own and I've been loving our mango version lately. It's like a pseudo cocktail while I'm making dinner!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 19....I’m finding that pretty unreal!  I truly never thought I could do this.  I noticed something interesting a couple of days ago....I’ve had bumps on the bridge of my nose...not really acne, but under the skin & they don’t hurt, but never go away. I figured it was just from my glasses aggravating the pores there. A couple of days ago I noticed the skin is now smooth. I asked my daughter, who is a holistic nutritionist what that could mean. She said the bridge of the nose has to do with the liver & since we are detoxing it makes perfect sense. So very cool!  I have found my hot flashes are way less frequent now. We had to go to the city yesterday, so I just packed a lunch for myself & hubby got a burger. I’m very surprised that things like that & when he has chips or ice cream don’t make me feel like I need to have some too. Though yesterday he bought a chocolate bar for himself & I took the wrapper & inhaled the chocolate scent. :lol:  The one thing that I really miss is going for our yummy wonton soup when we make the trip into the city. Oh well...I will have it in a few weeks!  We went to Costco & was sad they didn’t have the Quick & Easy cookbook...they only had the first book. I will try a different Costco when we go in next week...they did have it at another store when I got my first book. <_<

@emily13631 thank you for that recipe!  Did you have a hard time finding compliant Italian sausage & pizza sauce?  I’m thinking I won’t be able to find those things at our little town grocery store. It sounds so yummy though!

Tomorrow we will be 2/3 done!  :wub:

Happy Saturday & 2/3 done!  I’m soooooo cranky this afternoon, which is unlike me. I was just feeling like I’m constantly planning, cooking or doing dishes (yeah, poor me...pity party!). The dog’s were driving me crazy being underfoot in the kitchen & I was yelling at them (again out of character). While I was chopping veggies for dinner hubby called from the living room to me to ask if I could bring him the bag of trail mix. I truly almost lost it. You want me to stop preparing supper so I can bring you something that I CAN’T EAT????  Deep breath.   “You’ll have to wait a few minutes, I’m right in the middle of something”. It’s not like he’s a lazy guy, it was odd he didn’t just get up & get them himself...figures it would happen on a day I was a crank-a-saurus!  I looked in the book & it was classic day 21 feelings. Hoping I’m not  cranky for the rest of the 10 days!  Anyway....yummy shepherd’s pie for sups...all will be good....   Sorry for the rant....

@SalW I was super cranky yesterday too! The weekends seem to do that to me - I guess because there are no special treats or wine involved. :) I've also been super tired and had a bit of headache. Not sure if it's because I haven't been sleeping well or if it's related to the diet. You are so lucky you are having fewer hot flashes! I don't have many during the day - my problem is at night. Once I wake up with a hot flash I am wide awake and have trouble getting back to sleep. Since the diet doesn't seem to be helping I guess I'll have to look into other solutions, although the natural remedies like black cohosh and essential oils really haven't helped me at all.

Anyway - back to food prep - we've got a pork roast planned for tonight and I'm going to do the spaghetti squash with meat sauce again this week and maybe a chicken/veggie curry on top of butternut squash noodles!

Hang in there everyone!

Oh yes ladies. I called myself a grump-asaurus @SalW the last few days!! Everything has been getting on my nerves. My youngest was home sick this week and my husband is still in recovery mode from back surgery (my 3rd child), so I'm a bit at my wits end. Too many people and dogs to take care of and even my plants need attention!!! :( This way of eating feels more like a burden when everything else is stressful. Okay, that's my rant. Done.

I'm at the end of my grocery supplies so I'm making sweet potato fries (I think I might end up killing myself with my mandoline. Says woman with another bandaid after use.), steamed broccoli and grilled chicken breasts. Basically a regular meal in our rotation.

@dnewc I took your advice about melting the 100% chocolate (with a little coconut oil) and dipped bananas in it. :)

I'm excited about how far we've come! I looked at the reintroduction list on Friday, as a girlfriend and I were talking about it and she said "you start with sugar." I was thinking, "um, no!" But wine was her "sugar" and I think that might be mine too. :lol:

Sorry to hear you all had a tough weekend! But wow! I’m so amazed tomorrow is day 22. This is really an incredible accomplishment! I know this isn’t a “diet”, but I do hope I’m losing weight. I keep worrying that if I haven’t, I won’t be as motivated after 30 days to continue making such good choices. Made the salmon cakes for the first time since many of you said they were so great. Did a lot of meal prep, so hopefully it will be a manageable week. Keep up the good work everyone!

Hahaha - funny so many of us had grumpy days yesterday. I was in a better frame of mind today (lucky for hubby & dogs! :lol:). I was going to make a new recipe today (pecan crusted salmon), plus coconut cauliflower rice, but I got lazy & elected to have leftover shepherds pie. I did get the cauli chopped, so one less step for tomorrow!

Hard to believe we’re at the point to start thinking about reintroduction!  I asked my daughter’s opinion & she suggested grains for me. I should know how my body is taking to them (book & my daughter both said around 3 days) by the time we go to our St Patrick’s Day dinner on the 17th. 

@Micaela P I’m sorry your hot flashes haven’t improved. I also get them only at night & would be wide awake after being woken up with one coming on. I can’t believe how well I’ve been sleeping (knocking on wood)...it will be interesting to see if I can figure out what the culprit is. 

Only one more packed lunch when we go to the big city on Wed!  ^_^  We are so close now!

16 hours ago, Shelly :) said:

I'm excited about how far we've come! I looked at the reintroduction list on Friday, as a girlfriend and I were talking about it and she said "you start with sugar." I was thinking, "um, no!" But wine was her "sugar" and I think that might be mine too. :lol:

Haha I think wine has always been my first reintroduction item, but I am actually really enjoying how I feel without it even if I do psychologically miss it. My daughter and I will be camping in Yosemite over her Spring break and she was excited that I will be off whole 30 by then so we can have a beer together.

Saturday night I met some old college buddies for dinner and a "drink". 2 of them work in the wine industry and one manages a bakery/restaurant. As you can imagine dining out with total foodies was challenging. I had sparkling water with a splash of cranberry, avoiding all the tasty looking IPAs and feeling pretty good about my choice at the time, but after the fact I realized the cranberry most likely had added sugar. Ugh! - I'm not giving up now. I know some people would start over, but I'll see what I feel like day 30.

Oh, and my husband made a frosted layer cake and it wasn't even anybody's birthday! :wacko:

We've had a cold snap so I think I'm going to make a big pot of soup and freeze some to take camping too!

Day 22!

How’s everyone doing? I can’t believe it’s day 25! I feel a lot better overall. My clothes are more comfortable, my skin is clear, and I noticed on my Fitbit that my resting heart rate is lower. My only complaint is I’m not sleeping better. Has anyone tried Sun Basket? Thinking about ordering a Paleo basket for next week. Have a great day! 

@SalW  I was going to use ground beef until I found one package of compliant Italian sausage at a grocery store. But I  am lucky to live in a place where we have a lot of great grocery stores. I used tomato sauce mixed with some compliant spaghetti sauce that I found at Whole Foods. 

Hello All!  I want to say I am so proud of all of you.

I crashed and burned this week, so I am out. I had a day that I was so disorganized that I ate a cookie, which led to a few more. Eating cookies for lunch is definitely not Whole30.

So I am checking out. I will have to start again...I have picked Sunday March 11th as my new date. I wish you well on your journey to the finish date.

Lanette

Awwwww @Sunshine2020 that happens!  I will miss your upbeat notes. You will do it the next go round!  Thank you for all your encouragement!

Thanks for the ideas, @emily13631.  I was thinking I could use ground pork with sausage-y spices. 

I was so disappointed....I went to another Costco & they didn’t have the Fast & Easy cookbook!  :angry:  In fact they didn’t even have any more of the book with the food plan in it.  Maybe I’ll just order off Amazon. I’d still like to keep eating this way a lot. 

Can you believe we are on day 26 tomorrow?  Holy cow...it seems to have gone fast. I had a friend email me today & said I look glowing & healthy...that was wonderful to hear!

we can do this!

Sallee

@SalW Thanks for the positive comments too!   

This is a wonderful program. I know many of you have changed your eating habits and will continue to improve your overall health! 

The sleeping issues seem to be consistent with myself and many of my patients, so I am not sure it has anything with Whole30. There seems to be a pattern lately that many people are not sleeping the best. I don't know if weather related or something else!

You all are so powerful and use your new knowledge to continue to improve your life!:rolleyes:B)

Keep in Touch!

Lanette

Only 3 days left - woo-hooo!! I'm starting to think about my reintroduction plan. Those of you who have done this before - any recommendations for what to reintroduce first (besides wine - LOL!)? My husband was thinking dairy - which sounds good to me! I know the book recommends doing legumes first although I'm not sure if there is a specific reason for that. 

@Sunshine2020 Thanks for the kind words! Hope you don't feel bad about the cookie episode. Life happens and sometimes you can't keep control over everything. Best of luck with your next one! 

@Sunshine2020 - Thanks for being part of group! Good luck with the next one.

I've decided to call my husband cookie monster - He finished off some brownies today then turned around and baked snickerdoodles! I am getting a lot of practice with mind-over-cookie, and it's getting harder instead of easier!

As far as reintroductions go, I discovered I had an issue with gluten after my first whole 30 so that's out for me. I will probably start with corn. I tend to eat a lot of it (yay - tortilla chips!) but it seems that there are forms of corn that bother my stomach so I'll probably try a bunch of different corn things first... then wine ;-)

On 3/8/2018 at 8:49 PM, SalW said:

Can you believe we are on day 26 tomorrow?  Holy cow...it seems to have gone fast. I had a friend email me today & said I look glowing & healthy...that was wonderful to hear!

@SalW I agree - this has gone by very quickly. I haven't been super creative with my meals this time, but I have a few easy goto things that make it doable. Also I've noticed our Whole Foods is having more paleo/compliant prepared foods in their hot bar so I can usually find something to pick up quick if I need to. 

Yay for "glowing and healthy"! What a terrific compliment. I didn't take any measurements before this whole30, but I'm curious if I managed to lose any weight.

Not long now!

Wow....day 30 eve!  I have found the last few days to be the longest..   Not that I’m going to go crazy as soon as I finish (I hope not, anyway!) but I’m so tired of thinking about what I can & cant have, doing dishes, chopping veggies, etc, etc!!  I plan on adding grains for the first 3 days & see how I feel. Then on Saturday we have a St. Patty’s Day dinner...yayyyyyyy beer!  We had such a beautiful weekend here (sunny & 6 Celsius (that’s about 43 Fahrenheit)....I know, probably doesn’t sound warm to you guys, but we’ve had such a long, cold winter. All I could think about was putting on a sweatshirt, sitting on the deck in the sun & cracking a beer. :(   I laughed at your “cookie monster”  @dnewc!  Does he always bake that much?  So wonderful that he does!  I baked 6 doz oatmeal choc chip cookies on the weekend...that was torture!  I am going to have one on Wednesday...oatmeal is a grain...hehehe I’m choosing to ignore the sugar & butter in them!!  :D

@emily13631 what are you adding in first?

Are we the only 3 left?  :(

I'm still in. Yay!!!! Day 30!!! Congrats ladies. We did it. :) I bought dark chocolate at the store today in anticipation....I really missed my dark chocolate. Not sure when I'll break it out tho.

I'm starting with legumes tomorrow (and wine!!). Then I'll do GF grains. I'm already gluten-free and was pretty sure dairy wasn't my friend, so I'm not even going to introduce it but save it for a rare occasion or when its really worth it for my face to break out. :blink:

@dnewc I also think corn might be a problem for me too, but I've not been able to figure out yet if its the type (cooked corn vs popcorn vs corn chips) or simply the volume. Is it so wrong to eat a pound of corn chips!?!?!? ;) 

I am ready to be done. Same reason @SalW. I'm tired of thinking about the yes's and no's so much. But I hope to continue implementing what I learned, which is not to eat so mindlessly. I didn't have tigers blood or wake up feeling great at any particular time in the 30 days. I'd say I feel slightly better than I used to. But nothing dramatic. The extra veggies made me feel so bloated throughout the 30 days...I'm guessing I didn't lose any weight but didn't weigh before so won't really know.

@Sunshine2020 I'm so glad to hear you're doing it again. Big kudos and this one will be your 30!!!!

Shall we toast each other with wine tomorrow night??!!!

I'm still here too! And eagerly anticipating a glass of wine tomorrow night! I think I'm starting with dairy tomorrow so I can put real milk in my coffee. I've never suspected a food intolerance so I'm not too worried about the reintroduction. Obviously I don't want to go too fast. We're going to a dinner party Friday night so that should be interesting to navigate whatever food is being served. I'm less interested in sugar but really excited about adding back things like rice and oatmeal! It will be fun to compare notes about our reintroduction.....very curious to see if I've lost a few pounds! :) 

We did it!! Congrats everyone. I’m reintroducing dairy tomorrow and alcohol Saturday. I’ll probably do non-gluten grains after that. I’m worried I didn’t eat enough veggies over the month. This definitely reinforced that there are not a lot of green veggies that I enjoy. I don’t know that I had tiger blood, but my energy has been much better. Still hoping for some weight loss.

Yes, I think I can get through the next few hours. Oh man, those choc chip cookies were taunting me today... “c’mon..it’s okay if you have one...it won’t make a difference”. Nope nope nope!  I will join you ladies in a toast tomorrow night, with a pretend drink. Like @emily13631 I’m not adding alcohol until Saturday.  I’m going to try to keep eating the same way....I know I ate more veggies than I normally do, so I’ll try & keep that up. And I’m not missing dairy, so I think I’ll just do almond milk when I feel like a glass of milk & have cheeeeesy pizza every so often. I like that I got over the need to snack at night. And also the mindless eating!  

Fantastic job, ladies & thanks for all the encouragement, food ideas & laughs over the last 30 days. :wub:

7 hours ago, Shelly :) said:

I've not been able to figure out yet if its the type (cooked corn vs popcorn vs corn chips) or simply the volume. Is it so wrong to eat a pound of corn chips!?!?!? ;)

Corn chips are definitely an every day staple for me! I'm pretty sure if the corn has been dried and ground up it's okay - I think it's the whole kernel variety that's the problem. 

@SalW My husband has occasionally baked in the past, but since I've been on whole30 he's made 3 batches of cookies, a batch of brownies and a layer cake! And I resisted! Whew!

The end of day 30! Tomorrow a toast!

Congrats all!

Archived