Whole 30 and weight loss

abitabs12

I just completed my first Whole 30 - YAY ME!!!

Full disclosure - my main motivation for embarking on Whole 30 was to reset my eating habits so I could ultimately lose weight.  That being said, while I stuck to the Whole 30 rules when it came to food, meals, and snacking....I did step on the scale periodically throughout the 30 days.

While I did lose weight on the Whole 30 I have noticed that the majority of that weight loss came within the first week and then I plateaued for the last 3 weeks.

I feel fantastic - to the point that I really am not "missing out" on anything and am not in a particular rush to re-introduce foods (in fact I opted for more of the slower path to re-introduction vs the fast track).  However - I am still looking to lose weight.  Any suggestions on what my expectations should be in regard to weight loss?  I am not terribly overweight, but my doctor and I aligned that my ideal weight would be about 5-8 lbs below where I am now.

• Administrators

Hi @abitabs12 - glad to hear that you know the Whole30 is not a weight loss diet so you'll understand when I say that we can't really answer your question about expectations on weight loss. First off, everyone is different and second, we don't discuss ways to hack the program for weight loss.

While we cannot suggest how much or even if any weight you might lose, we can say that Whole30 + your reintroduction (if any) would be the healthiest way for you to eat. 

I have been on Whole 30 for one YEAR and 4 months.  I initially lost appx 20 lbs and did start adding a few things back into my regimen after 30 days (wine, a couple of slices of Ezekiel bread per week, a TAD of sugar thats in my coffee creamer - I REFUSE to have bad coffee!!!  If this is my new way of eating I need to feel that I am eating healthily and not deprived and depraved)  Well - I am still plugging along.  Holidays have come and gone for me TWICE and I have not had a cookie, cake, pasta dish, pizza, chocolate.  My grandson thinks I want a broccoli cake for my birthday.  My blood pressure and cholesterol numbers have really gone down. I'm 68 - not feeling hugely energetic but - 68.  So . . . I get weighed 2 times a year at the doctor.  Last time I GAINED 7 POUNDS.  My heart sank.  If I'm going to gain weight by god I should have enjoyed it.  I've considered moving over to Weight Watchers but scared of too many choices.  If I GAIN on Whole what the hell will happen on WW?  I've cut way back on wine and eliminated potatoes and nuts.  Anyone else GAINING on Whole 30???

• Administrators
2 hours ago, elsmps said:

I have been on Whole 30 for one YEAR and 4 months.  I initially lost appx 20 lbs and did start adding a few things back into my regimen after 30 days (wine, a couple of slices of Ezekiel bread per week, a TAD of sugar thats in my coffee creamer - I REFUSE to have bad coffee!!!  If this is my new way of eating I need to feel that I am eating healthily and not deprived and depraved)  Well - I am still plugging along.  Holidays have come and gone for me TWICE and I have not had a cookie, cake, pasta dish, pizza, chocolate.  My grandson thinks I want a broccoli cake for my birthday.  My blood pressure and cholesterol numbers have really gone down. I'm 68 - not feeling hugely energetic but - 68.  So . . . I get weighed 2 times a year at the doctor.  Last time I GAINED 7 POUNDS.  My heart sank.  If I'm going to gain weight by god I should have enjoyed it.  I've considered moving over to Weight Watchers but scared of too many choices.  If I GAIN on Whole what the hell will happen on WW?  I've cut way back on wine and eliminated potatoes and nuts.  Anyone else GAINING on Whole 30???

Hi @elsmps - I would venture that if your blood pressure and cholesterol have improved but you've gained 7 pounds, it might not be the worst thing in the world? It's possible that on that one day you were weighed, you were retaining water, hadn't pooped, had big meals the day before. It's really hard to judge based on one scale reading. It's part of the reason we here at Whole30 detest the scale as a measurement of general health. How are your clothes fitting from day to day? How's your sleep? Your mood?

Thanks Ladyshanny - I am grateful for the improvements to my health and KNOW Whole is not a weight loss plan - it just was so very discouraging that day and, although I won't get weighed again until June, I am feeling that I continue to gain.  It is so hard for someone my age to lose weight but I am happy that I remain active and free of illness and able to check off every item of my bucket list.  Most most most most importantly I am in control of my eating (and what I don't eat).  Not giving up.  I just wondered if there were any tricks to help me to start to lose again.

I wonder if portion size could help? Like-still stick to the template but just reduce everything by a little (maybe 10%)? Not so much that you notice and get hungry after 3 hours, but maybe that you get a little hungry after 4-5. I have noticed that I am not always hungry even 5 hours after a meal, so I was thinking that I might be eating just a bit too much. Just a thought. But it sounds like you are doing great. You don't mention if you exercise, but I know that even if my scale doesn't move much, my clothes fit better when I am working out and eating well so that is my gauge rather than the scale.

Hi elsmps!

I am somewhat comforted by reading your post, thank you!  Congrats to you as well for sticking to a Whole 30 based diet for so long.  I am hoping to do the same when I complete mine.  I am new to W30, this is my first time and I am on day 18.  I also feel as though I am gaining weight.  I did not start W30 with quick/rapid/major weight loss in mind, I completely comprehend that this is not a “diet”.  I did however, think that I might see a little improvement in my body composition.  I do not have a great deal of weight to lose, maybe 12-15 pounds max.  While I cannot say for sure that I am gaining (I have not stepped on the scales even once), my clothes seem to be fitting snug, especially my jeans.  I am not  bloated, my digestion has actually improved, so I do not believe that is the culprit.   I am focusing on my NSV’s and trying to remember that W30 will affect all of us a little differently and at different rates.  But I can’t help but wonder if I am either doing something wrong or if there are certain individuals, such as myself, that will actually gain weight for some odd reason while doing W30?  I have been 100% compliant since day one and have maintained my typical workout schedule of at least 4 days/week.  I fear that if I were to reduce my portion sizes as hotwheels  suggested, I would inevitably be hungry within a couple hours (which is typical for me), so I stick to the template to avoid cheating/snacking between meals.  

Any feedback/suggestions would be most appreciated.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Christina Dozier said:

Hi elsmps!

I am somewhat comforted by reading your post, thank you!  Congrats to you as well for sticking to a Whole 30 based diet for so long.  I am hoping to do the same when I complete mine.  I am new to W30, this is my first time and I am on day 18.  I also feel as though I am gaining weight.  I did not start W30 with quick/rapid/major weight loss in mind, I completely comprehend that this is not a “diet”.  I did however, think that I might see a little improvement in my body composition.  I do not have a great deal of weight to lose, maybe 12-15 pounds max.  While I cannot say for sure that I am gaining (I have not stepped on the scales even once), my clothes seem to be fitting snug, especially my jeans.  I am not  bloated, my digestion has actually improved, so I do not believe that is the culprit.   I am focusing on my NSV’s and trying to remember that W30 will affect all of us a little differently and at different rates.  But I can’t help but wonder if I am either doing something wrong or if there are certain individuals, such as myself, that will actually gain weight for some odd reason while doing W30?  I have been 100% compliant since day one and have maintained my typical workout schedule of at least 4 days/week.  I fear that if I were to reduce my portion sizes as hotwheels  suggested, I would inevitably be hungry within a couple hours (which is typical for me), so I stick to the template to avoid cheating/snacking between meals.  

Any feedback/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Reducing portions is usually not our recommendation for anyone unless they're eating a great deal of something.  It's VERY hard to over eat on Whole30 due to the nature of the foods you're eating and the built in satiety factor of whole foods.  That said, if you would like some directed feedback, feel free to post a few days of your meals including portion sizes and specific foods you're eating and we'll see if something stands out.

Please also remember that this is NOT a weightloss diet and if your way of eating prior was similar to this program, you may not see weight loss right away or at all.  The 12-15 pounds you feel you would like to lose may not be in your body's best interest to lose - obviously me saying that is a limb I'm out on because I don't know you or your body comp but sometimes vanity weight we want to lose is not something our bodies are willing to get rid of.  The other thing to consider is that if you come from a background of calorie restriction and dieting, yes your body may pick up some temporary weight because the mechanism of 'feast and famine' is still very much ingrained in our physiology so if your body thinks you're in 'feast' and you may be going back to 'famine' (calorie restriction), it's going to hold on to everything you give it.  Once you are consistently eating whole foods in appropriate quantities, usually things even out :)  

Thank you, SugarcubeOD!

What you are saying makes perfect sense.  Yes, I was in a bad cycle of feast or famine for some time (which is why I wanted to start Whole 30).  With me only being on day 18, I am not discouraged.  I now realize that any weight loss should be considered a plus and may not occur until closer to the end or even later should I extend.  

Thanks again!

Archived