February 19th - Need a buddy to email/check in with!!

a.keen

23 hours ago, Jam Rockah said:

I'd like to join the group too - as I am starting on 2/19. I'm feeling major anxiety and wondering if I can actually do it. My husband and kids aren't doing it either and also living in a house with a lot of non-compliant foods. Would love to get support! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

email me if you want! mod edit to remove email address.

I try to check the forum regularly but it's confusing to me... looking for an email buddy!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, a.keen said:

You guys!!! Need to turn my notification posts on. I thought no one wanted to buddy up with me! Funny how we get in our own heads and think the worst! :lol:

I wish I couldn't relate :D 

and by the way, Julie has an awesomely motivational post here: 

I added my experience, but her story is very cool...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, a.keen said:

email me if you want! mod edit to remove email address.

I try to check the forum regularly but it's confusing to me... looking for an email buddy!

I've removed your email address from both your posts... this is a public forum and we are contantly overrun with bots (we have a system in place so members don't see the junk but believe me, it's there).  If you would like to connect with people, please use the private message feature on here to exchange email addresses instead of posting them out for all to see.

Good Morning! Hope everyone that is starting today is fired up! I know I am!

Of course on my first day the snack table at work is full of chocolate and bagels....#facepalm But I am prepared! Came to work armed with half an avocado, a couple hard boiled eggs, a banana and curry chicken salad over asian slaw for lunch.

Looking forward to sous vide steak with balsamic onions and mashed sweet potato for dinner!

Good morning!  It's Day 1!!

I woke up this morning excited to begin this journey.  I weighed myself then put the scale in the back of my closet.  Can't say I mind not seeing that thing for 30 days (I can become obsessed).  In addition to weight loss, I have a whole list of non-scale victories I'm looking forward to. 

I was going to wait until I finished reading "It Starts with Food", but I wanted to start on a Monday and felt I was prepared enough to begin today.  So yesterday, I went shopping and did some prep work.   I started this  morning with a shredded potato, spinach & egg scramble.  For lunch, I will be having a homemade turkey sausage patty topped with peppers & onions and a side of berries.  Then, grilled salmon, roasted broccoli & sweet potatoes for dinner.  Other than coffee, all I ever drink is water or flavored carbonated water, so that won't be a problem.  I will miss having half and half in my coffee, though.  I'll just keep reminding myself that it's for the best.

Best of luck to you all!   

19 hours ago, T. Audrey said:

My schedule is pretty hectic so I’m focusing on quick and easy meals. So far, I have meals planned for days 1-4. I also started a Pinterest board with whole30 recipes. However, I’m open to any additional tips and recs for easy recipes.

For quick and easy meals, I can recommend Melissa Hartwig's book "The Whole30 Fast and Easy Cookbook: 150 Simply Delicious Everyday Recipes for Your Whole30". A great variety of meals, and they really are quick, easy and delicous, as the title says. ;)

Pinterest is great, but I have found some recipes claiming to be Whole30 - but they aren't compliant.

I’m 34 And a stay at home mom to a 7, 4 & 2 year old. I’m starting this program today. I struggle w lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and another autoimmune disease that causes inflammation. I’ve noticed when my diet is healthy I have less symptoms or relapses. I did the program a few years back successfully with a friend and lost 7 lbs & many inches. I felt amazing! I tried it one other time but I didn’t make it past 2 days. I think your results benefit by having some accountability. I look forward to this time being a success! 

Hi everyone! I started my first whole30 today. To be honest, the majority of my regular diet is already whole30, but there's definitely some things to get used to and I'd love a group to check in with! I'm super excited to start this! 

I started today too. I am 45 and a newbie. My 27 year old daughter is doing it with me, but I have 3 younger kids and a hubby who aren’t.  I read the book and bought the cookbook and day by day. I am hoping to break my severe soda and sugar addiction and help with digestive issues. Glad to have found this thread to help me stay focused .  

Hey group!

The end of day 1 is quickly approaching! Hopefully many of you aren’t experiencing too much of the sugar cravings! The biggest challenge this morning was the lack of creamer in my coffee! After choking down a cup of black coffee, I think I’ll take up the recommended coconut milk n cinnamon idea for tomorrow’s cup of joe! Lol... 

Lunch seemed great since I normally eat salads and light dressings. However, I got really tired this afternoon.. I ate some almonds and a clementine for the afternoon pick-me-up! 

My dinner will be roasted spaghetti squash, ground meat, and tomato sauce. 

Is anyone willing to share their ideas for snacks to get us through the long work days?! 

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, T. Audrey said:

Hey group!

The end of day 1 is quickly approaching! Hopefully many of you aren’t experiencing too much of the sugar cravings! The biggest challenge this morning was the lack of creamer in my coffee! After choking down a cup of black coffee, I think I’ll take up the recommended coconut milk n cinnamon idea for tomorrow’s cup of joe! Lol... 

Lunch seemed great since I normally eat salads and light dressings. However, I got really tired this afternoon.. I ate some almonds and a clementine for the afternoon pick-me-up! 

My dinner will be roasted spaghetti squash, ground meat, and tomato sauce. 

Is anyone willing to share their ideas for snacks to get us through the long work days?! 

Rather than looking for snacks, it's recommended that you make your meals bigger to last you 4-5 hours between.  Of course if your meal times are more spaced out than that, we definitely want you to eat but nuts and fruits, nut butters, dried fruits and all ilk the same are not recommended.  While you're figuring out your portion sizes, maybe take a hardboiled egg or some extra protein leftovers and guacamole to work?

If you would like guidance on your meals, feel free to post what you ate today so we can get you started on the right track :)  

11 hours ago, Melissa M. said:

Good morning!  It's Day 1!!

I woke up this morning excited to begin this journey.  I weighed myself then put the scale in the back of my closet.  Can't say I mind not seeing that thing for 30 days (I can become obsessed).  In addition to weight loss, I have a whole list of non-scale victories I'm looking forward to. 

I was going to wait until I finished reading "It Starts with Food", but I wanted to start on a Monday and felt I was prepared enough to begin today.  So yesterday, I went shopping and did some prep work.   I started this  morning with a shredded potato, spinach & egg scramble.  For lunch, I will be having a homemade turkey sausage patty topped with peppers & onions and a side of berries.  Then, grilled salmon, roasted broccoli & sweet potatoes for dinner.  Other than coffee, all I ever drink is water or flavored carbonated water, so that won't be a problem.  I will miss having half and half in my coffee, though.  I'll just keep reminding myself that it's for the best.

Best of luck to you all!   

Nutpods are great in coffee! The flavored ones are not so good but the plain one is really great. 

As the day winds down, I too am quite tired. I’m not a regular meal eater, but I can see I’m going to have to work on that. I was out and got shaky. Luckily I was the grocery store and bought some (more) baby carrot and some compliant roast beef.  About to settle down with some kabobs for dinner and then I am so ready for bed.

Hope everyone is staying #Whole30strong

OK guys, Day 2 and I have a big challenge tonight.  I have to attend a dinner for a club I belong to at O'Charley's, a chain restaurant near my house.  I don't want to skip it because I think I can't put my life on hold for Whole30, I need to learn to live my life with it.  I've looked at the menu online and it is depressingly non-compliant.  I am thinking I will order a Cobb Salad, without blue cheese or croutons.  Here is how it is described in the menu:

"The Classic with diced grilled and chilled chicken, tomatoes, bacon, avocado, hard-boiled eggs, bleu cheese crumbles, green onions and croutons on a bed of crisp romaine and iceberg with our Bleu Cheese dressing."

I will skip the dressing and maybe even bring my own.

What do people think?  Is this compliant?  I'm not one to order special at restaurants I always thought they must hate that but I guess I need to start.

13 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Rather than looking for snacks, it's recommended that you make your meals bigger to last you 4-5 hours between.  Of course if your meal times are more spaced out than that, we definitely want you to eat but nuts and fruits, nut butters, dried fruits and all ilk the same are not recommended.  While you're figuring out your portion sizes, maybe take a hardboiled egg or some extra protein leftovers and guacamole to work?

I know that's the recommendation, but I struggle with this as well.  I eat breakfast at 8am, lunch between noon and 1pm.  But dinner is often not until 7-8pm because of my work schedule.  So an afternoon snack is a must or I am ready to eat everything in the house when I sit down to dinner.

We always have hard-boiled eggs on hand.  Homemade beef jerky is the best, but I have never made it without soy sauce so I'll have to figure out a new recipe for that.  A cucumber sliced or carrot sticks are good, too.

24 minutes ago, RainbowLisa said:

OK guys, Day 2 and I have a big challenge tonight.  I have to attend a dinner for a club I belong to at O'Charley's, a chain restaurant near my house.  I don't want to skip it because I think I can't put my life on hold for Whole30, I need to learn to live my life with it.  I've looked at the menu online and it is depressingly non-compliant.  I am thinking I will order a Cobb Salad, without blue cheese or croutons.  Here is how it is described in the menu:

"The Classic with diced grilled and chilled chicken, tomatoes, bacon, avocado, hard-boiled eggs, bleu cheese crumbles, green onions and croutons on a bed of crisp romaine and iceberg with our Bleu Cheese dressing."

What do people think?  Is this compliant?  I'm not one to order special at restaurants I always thought they must hate that but I guess I need to start.

Skip the bacon too.  You might want to call and make sure the chicken isn’t marinated as well. Good luck!

18 minutes ago, RainbowLisa said:

I know that's the recommendation, but I struggle with this as well.  I eat breakfast at 8am, lunch between noon and 1pm.  But dinner is often not until 7-8pm because of my work schedule.  So an afternoon snack is a must or I am ready to eat everything in the house when I sit down to dinner.

We always have hard-boiled eggs on hand.  Homemade beef jerky is the best, but I have never made it without soy sauce so I'll have to figure out a new recipe for that.  A cucumber sliced or carrot sticks are good, too.

You could try making jerky with the amino acids instead of soy sauce

I started on the 19th as well. This is my 2nd time. Did great about 2 years ago but fell off the wagon about 6 months after. I believe I am gluten intolerant but going to take this time to find that out. It feels so good to have the freedom from sugar alone, say nothing of the all day cravings and snack attacks. I am so grateful for my husband as he is doing it with me, even though he doesn't really need to in terms of weight loss. We are major foodies though and finding all of the ways in which to stay on the program while cooking fun and exciting things is a challenge. Its a good challenge though. I am looking forward to it. The hard part for me today is the mental snack control. I am missing the crunchy cracker or chip in between meals. I know this will go away soon but until then, I just have to keep busy. Good luck to everyone! First-timers- you won't be sorry. It really is amazing to not be controlled by food!

On 2/19/2018 at 6:41 AM, RainbowLisa said:

Morning, folks!  What's for dinner on Day 1?  I am planning beef ribs in the Instant Pot, I've got them thawing now.  I'll have some bones to make bone broth tomorrow.  Will serve with Asparagus and riced Cauliflower.

Sounds great. I just bought my first Instant Pot yesterday. I am really looking forward to using it. Any suggestions on where to look for Whole 30 compliant recipes for Instant Pot, or just pick and choose? Also, try riced sweet potato. Goes really well with beef. Just don't over cook or will get mushy. I am trying riced broccoli tonight. 

57 minutes ago, RainbowLisa said:

As a picky eater all of my life, I have always ordered special at restaurants. Thankfully I'm not so picky anymore, but don't ever hesitate to order special. They don't care. And if they do, then who cares. You are not out to please anyone but yourself. I wouldn't be surprised if the servers themselves order special too. You have a Whole30 life to live and it is especially freeing. Don't be shy when you are out and about. Its great you looked ahead. Planning is so important. I would definitely bring your own dressing. There is no shame in that! You could also call ahead to the manager and ask for specific dishes that might be gluten/dairy free. Then pick from there to exclude the rest of the food groups. These are common allergies and they are used to this question. They may have a dish on the mere you didn't see and would like even more than the salad.  Give yourself permission to be picky- its all about choices, right? 

Archived