Evening Workout Routine


dbrown11

Recommended Posts

I am pretty new to Whole30. I don't have time to work out during the day. I wanted to hear your thoughts on a schedule that looks like this:

Dinner: 6pm

Pre-Workout Meal: 7:45 (hard boiled egg)

Workout: 8pm

Post workout meal: 9pm (piece of chicken)

I usually like to go to bed around 11pm. Would this schedule be plausible? I just don't really have the time to workout in the morning, and would prefer to at night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if I ate an egg 15mins before my workout I'd bring it back up again, but I suppose it depends on the individual.

I'd be inclined to ramp up the protein and fat at dinner, and stick with non starchy veg, then maybe add some starchy veg in with the chicken postWO - depending on the intensity of the work-out - but it MAY aide sleep with the work out being so close to bed time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar issue here!  I get home from work anywhere between 7:30 and 9:00.  If its a normal night when I leave work at 7- I will eat dinner when I get home.  If I'm staying late- I will eat the meal I brought with me to the office (I always bring lunch and dinner just in case).

 

I try to go to the gym at 9pm for an hour to an hour and a half.  Which gets me home at 10/10:30.  I am in bed by 12.  Which doesn't leave much time for a post-workout mini meal before bed.  Anyone have recommendations? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
17 minutes ago, jfg729 said:

Similar issue here!  I get home from work anywhere between 7:30 and 9:00.  If its a normal night when I leave work at 7- I will eat dinner when I get home.  If I'm staying late- I will eat the meal I brought with me to the office (I always bring lunch and dinner just in case).

 

I try to go to the gym at 9pm for an hour to an hour and a half.  Which gets me home at 10/10:30.  I am in bed by 12.  Which doesn't leave much time for a post-workout mini meal before bed.  Anyone have recommendations? 

Take your post workout to the gym with you?  It only needs to be a few bites of lean protein and starchy carb so you could have it eaten within 15 min of being done your workout.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Take your post workout to the gym with you?  It only needs to be a few bites of lean protein and starchy carb so you could have it eaten within 15 min of being done your workout.

My gym is downstairs from my apartment- so I guess my question is- which is more important...a post workout meal or not eating too close to going to bed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Just now, jfg729 said:

My gym is downstairs from my apartment- so I guess my question is- which is more important...a post workout meal or not eating too close to going to bed?

That would be for you to experiment and see.  Not eating too close to bed is recommended because having a full stomach can impact your sleep.  See how you do eating the post workout and how your sleep is... then try without and see how your recovery is and your sleep.  Basically because you've got two conflicting recommendations, you have to experiment and see which combination better serves you in your context.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it.  Thanks!  I have never really liked eating after 9pm  (as a general rule throughout my life).  So if it is okay to not do the post workout meal- that would honestly be ideal. Pre-Whole 30 I have never really thought about post workout meals and am typically a good sleeper. But I will do some experimenting!

Its only Day 2 for me so I'm still open to figuring out what works best!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.