Hey there, 

I am wondering how much of the reintro is just your body in shock of a food group it hasn't had in a while? For example, I had minor reactions to soy/legumes and non-gluten grains, but had pretty severe diarrhea and intestinal cramping from dairy and gluten. I tried gluten again the following days after day 10 of reintro and didn't have a reaction to whole grain bread or a mini muffin. To my understanding, this is also a lot of spectators' objection to this program. So how do I know if this is shock or if I really should never eat dairy again (my worst reaction)? 

What type of dairy did you reintroduce? I’m allergic to the protein in dairy, so whey is definitely out (my throat gets itchy and feels like it’s closing and I immediately throw up) but I can have butter without any problems. Hard cheese and Greek yogurt doesn’t really affect me but Ice cream and regular yogurt does. So a lot of it is what you eat unfortunately; trial and error. Personally, unless it’s really worth it, I skip dairy for a host of other side effects that are common in people who aren’t allergic. 

Did you eat the same thing when you reintroduced gluten to make sure it wasn’t a shock to the system? 

On 3/19/2018 at 8:57 AM, pibbylotter said:

Hey there, 

I am wondering how much of the reintro is just your body in shock of a food group it hasn't had in a while? For example, I had minor reactions to soy/legumes and non-gluten grains, but had pretty severe diarrhea and intestinal cramping from dairy and gluten. I tried gluten again the following days after day 10 of reintro and didn't have a reaction to whole grain bread or a mini muffin. To my understanding, this is also a lot of spectators' objection to this program. So how do I know if this is shock or if I really should never eat dairy again (my worst reaction)? 

I am currently on day Day 23 of my first Whole 30, so I'm responding from the perspective of a person who learned years ago she was lactose intolerant and had trouble with gluten. My experience is that it can totally vary from time to time whether or not I have a reaction. With lactose from dairy, this is usually easy to understand, because certain dairy products, like nonfat milk and soft cheeses, have a lot more lactose than half and half or hard cheese. And it can also be a matter of amount. As for gluten, I have found that some times i feel horrible after eating it, but if I just have a little bit in soy sauce for example, I'm ok, just a little hungrier than usual.

Archived