LDL Cholesterol Sky-rocketed

Hello,

I just finished my Whole30.

I did blood work before and after. My LDL cholesterol shot up from 82 to 142! That is a huge leap in the wrong direction. What happened? What caused this? 

My other numbers stayed similar:

LDL 82 to 142

HDL 68 to 75

Triglycerides 47 to 47

Fasting Glucose 83 to 85 (I thought this would've gone down)

Total Cholesterol 159 to 226

Total Chol/HDL Ratio 2.3 to 3.0

Note about my Whole30 experience: I ate and felt healthy before Whole30 and decided to give it a try just to see what happened. To my disappointment, I never felt much different during Whole30. I saw few results, except losing 5 lbs. I feel frustrated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I do believe active weight loss can transiently increase LDL - that may have been what you've seen.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2035468

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-did-my-cholesterol-go-up-after-going-primal/

Cholesterol tests (especially for LDL) have also advanced in recent years so that LDL alone is no longer considered the best marker.  I don't remember the details but try googling "fluffy" LDL and you may find some information in more detail than I can provide!

Switching to a fat-burning metabolism alone, without significant weight loss, can cause a temporary spike in cholesterol levels. You can search the web and find lots of articles about this. Your healthy cholesterol has actually gone up (HDL), even though LDL has also gone up. Even with the increase, right now it's just at the high end of "borderline" high. Keep eating healthy, and check them again in 2-3 months. If they don't go down, you might have a genetic makeup that would benefit from less red and fatty meat in the diet. Your glucose level change is not significant in any way, and the readings likely were related to aberrations specific to the day your blood was drawn. Overall, it's within normal range. 

Archived