Brightside

Noooooooo! I am on day 26 and just saw the super fine, almost illegible, print on the gourmet coconut oil cooking spray that it contains lecithin. I could cry. I am crying. The label says "made with 100% coconut oil"...okay, I get it in hindsight, 100% coconut oil is an ingredient not and the product is not 100% coconut oil. Day 26 and I was so excited with how well I had done. 

• Moderators

What kind of lecithin? If it's soy, that's definitely not compliant, but I think there's also sunflower lecithin, which would be okay.

You've still done well, don't discount the 26 days of doing good things for yourself because of this -- you still ate tons of vegetables, protein, and healthy fats, you just learned that labels are tricky and you have to really, really pay attention to everything, even things that you wouldn't think could possibly be off limits.

It's soy lecithin, which is so disappointing. I'm trying to look at the positive side but sheezzz. Yes - labels are tricky, and in some cases bordering on deceptive. This particular one had one spot on the label that looked like the ingredient list saying "Contains 100% Coconut oil." then at the bottom, in "cheater" size print, was the additional ingredient list. :angry:

Brightside,  As your username suggests, look on  the brightside- you made it to day 26, you know the routine. Kudos to you!  In m opinion, finish out to day 30 and look back on how well you did and then reassess if you need to restart.   I too, by rote and habit, used a similar cooking spray about  half way in.  Oh well, I said to myself.   I was on a good roll as far as how to go about readjusting my attitude towards food and resolved to not use it again.  I am on day 27 today and am going to evaluate my recorded data numbers on this upcoming Friday and most likely I will keep rolling with The Rules because am feeling much better.

There is a wonderful response by Moderator Sugarcube in another thread that I read yesterday and it really makes sense.  It was in relation to post Whole 30 relationship with food.  I am using it to refocus my goals (I might need to change my username.)

On 10/26/2017 at 12:53 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

The amazing thing about the human body is that it knows what weight it is most efficient at... so if you concentrate on being HEALTHY instead of losing weight, your body will do its own processes to get to that ideal point.. and the 'bad' news is that maybe your body likes that 10 pounds you don't like... 

Focus on your health, fueling your body and if your body wants to drop some weight, it will happen... honestly!  And really try and free yourself from those arbitrary numbers, they do nothing but put stress (whether you notice it or not) on your body and mind and that is a sure fire way to get your body to save everything because it doesn't understand where the stress is coming from... but historically stress in part meant potential lack of food... 

Where am I going with this?  Do not beat yourself up.  Your username is so optimistic!  Roll with it!  See how you feel and and then figure out where to go.  I am not going to reintroduce just because my 30 days are up and yes I too slipped up in the middle of it, but even though I accidentally slipped up, I was feeling so much better that good feeling kept me going... and is still keeping me going.

Keep your chin up and let the positive good feelings keep you going too!

-frank.

• 3 months later...

Same thing just happened to me - on Day 28 of all things!  I needed to buy some lunch so went into Whole Foods and picked out my green salad (no dressings), asked for a piece of grilled salmon from the deli counter, and it was only after I'd eaten it, I saw the pricing label said "Salmon, Olive Oil, Canola Oil Spray (expeller pressed canola oil, soy lecithin propellant (no chlorofluorocarbons), salt, black pepper."

I could cry too, but took heart from what the moderator said to you; I'm 28 days in, feel really good, am going to do at least another week after my 30 days, and I've learned that I should have asked what the salmon was cooked in before I bought it. Lesson learned.

Archived