RX Bars are dangerous!

I'm a newbie, 4 days in, and I was so excited to see that RX Bars are technically compliant based on their ingredients but after eating one, my Sugar Dragon was totally satisfied, which is NOT a good thing!  They are chewy and delicious and now I see why in the Whole 30 book it says that your brain can't distinguish between a compliant bar and a candy bar.  My husband is doing Whole 30 with me and he's eaten 3 of those bars...suffice it to say I may not buy them again.  They are DANGEROUS! What do you guys use for quick, out the door bars?  I haven't tried the Epic...the idea of beef and apple makes me want to hurl!!  I have Larabars but I fear those will also feed my dragon.  I have some dates, nuts and raisins the I use to make my own trail mix...isn't that the same though for feeding the sugar habit?  Tips and suggestions please when you just have to have something sweet!!

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, BermudaLongTail said:

I'm a newbie, 4 days in, and I was so excited to see that RX Bars are technically compliant based on their ingredients but after eating one, my Sugar Dragon was totally satisfied, which is NOT a good thing!  They are chewy and delicious and now I see why in the Whole 30 book it says that your brain can't distinguish between a compliant bar and a candy bar.  My husband is doing Whole 30 with me and he's eaten 3 of those bars...suffice it to say I may not buy them again.  They are DANGEROUS! What do you guys use for quick, out the door bars?  I haven't tried the Epic...the idea of beef and apple makes me want to hurl!!  I have Larabars but I fear those will also feed my dragon.  I have some dates, nuts and raisins the I use to make my own trail mix...isn't that the same though for feeding the sugar habit?  Tips and suggestions please when you just have to have something sweet!!

If you're planning for 'out the door' bars, why not plan for hard boiled eggs and guacamole or meatballs and mayo or something that is more in line with food and less candybar-meatbar?

And when you 'just have to have something sweet', do NOT have something sweet.  Either distract yourself and get over the craving or eat something salty/fatty/briney.

I prepack small containers of potato hash with compliant sausage or bacon in it...if i have a microwave to use. Otherwise, i have small bags of pecans or cashews to snag and unsweetened banana chips (not the best, but it travels easily in case of emergency). Maybe a snack pack of celery and cashew butter? 

About having to have something sweet (which I totally get), I had read that you should ask yourself a question like, "would a (savory item) suffice?" if the answer is no, distract from the sugar dragon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any other ideas on small, portable purse items for when blood sugar is low (for pescatarians)?

The Epic bars, especially fish, seem to all have maple sugar as far as I can tell and I'm weary of RX and Laras too.

Thanks!

Archived